Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Off set dot recommendation

93notch

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a nice large window red dot to use as a offset dot on my rifle. I have been through 2 holosun 510C they just won't last. I haven't figured out what is causing them to just stop working. I want something with a nice large window and bright dot. 

Edited by 93notch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went with a Vortex Razor MRD. Biggest reason is that you can turn on the dot from the top. Most of the MRD that I dealt with where all left side activated, which unfortunately covered or partially blocked by the scope ocular side.

• 3 months later...
On 7/7/2022 at 4:08 PM, 93notch said:

Hey everyone,

I am looking for a nice large window red dot to use as a offset dot on my rifle. I have been through 2 holosun 510C they just won't last. I haven't figured out what is causing them to just stop working. I want something with a nice large window and bright dot. 

Hello. Is there any possibility how you have your offset mount positioned is allowing brass to hit the 510c when ejecting?

On 8/7/2022 at 3:36 PM, Bw3375 said:

I have been doing research on this topic. After running a T2 offset and Delta Point Pro offset, I have settled on a 3MOA DPP on a Trex arms 1.93 45° offset. 

I am running the same setup on my gun and love it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There are lots of options - I favor tube sights so have used anything from Primary Arms to Vortex Crossfire to Aimpoint T1. None have ever failed when mounted on my 5.56 3-Gun rifles, even when dropped. You don't need anything as big or heavy as the 510C so long as you mount the optic close to your eye (i.e. next to the ocular bell of your scope). There is ZERO benefit to putting the optic further away from your eye as all that does is reduce the effective field of view. Don't listen to the Tactical Timmies,... look at the approach the top 3-gunners take and copy.

Absolutely love the Holoson 509Ts I run on my 5.56s. I've also been really happy with the 503Bs on my PCCs.

I really like the size of the circle dot (32MOA) reticle on the 509T (also on the 507s/508s. It seems perfectly sized for 2 gun/3 gun/tac rifle matches. On the 503 I run the dot only as the circle (65MOA) circle seems too large to be especially useful in competition.