S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It won't be allowed, "eternal modification". Grip tape would be ok though. You just can't alter the gun itself in a permanent way.

Too bad :(

Even to the Removable Insert??

Eric, where's the Tape???

Y

Would the modified grip panels be ok if they were offered as an aftermarket replacement grip?

Good question:D

Is it time to contact John Amidon :lol::lol::lol:

This is too funy!! I'm one of the ones that want to limit what can be changed on the PD Guns!!

But I can't wait for Eric to come out with Grip tape!!

Y

Would the modified grip panels be ok if they were offered as an aftermarket replacement grip?

no...

What about if the Backstraps were to be sold with Eric's Tape on it???

No Modifications to the Original Backstraps??

Y

Edited by ysued

If S&W wanted to offer it as a replacement I'm sure it would be allowed, just like the Sig custom shop grips. I would also imagine that another company, like APS could purchase some inserts and make "aftermarket grips" They would be the same external dimensions. They would probably even pass muster in IPSC.

FYI,

Brownells is now selling the M&P Sear Housing Block Assembly Without the Magazine Safety and No Internal Lock!!

I just ordered 2!!

Part Number 940-000-982

So, if your M&P has the mag Safety, you can easly fix that now!!

What benefit does this have vs just taking the MS out? Is it illegal for production to take out the Mag safety? I ended up taking out the MS components and the sear takedown lever. It just breaksdown like a Sig/XD now...and its free?

I was told that when the MS Devise is taken out, some spring has to be replaced!!

Heck, I only paid $20.00, it's worth it for me :)

What is the benefir of the Sear takedown lever??

Other than to take the Sear out of the way??

What benefit does this have vs just taking the MS out? Is it illegal for production to take out the Mag safety? I ended up taking out the MS components and the sear takedown lever. It just breaksdown like a Sig/XD now...and its free?

I was told that when the MS Devise is taken out, some spring has to be replaced!!

Yup...all the sear takedown lever does is release the sear without having to pull the trigger. You only need the spring IF you leave the takedown lever in there, if you take it ALL out you don't need anything. Have had 0 problems.

Edited by ArnisAndyz

Yup...all the sear takedown lever does is release the sear without having to pull the trigger. You only need the spring IF you leave the takedown lever in there, if you take it ALL out you don't need anything. Have had 0 problems.

Just to be clear - if I simply take out the take down lever and spring, then I'm good to go? Thanks!

You should read Dan Burwell's instructions to do that first!!

A spring must be repalced!!

Y

Just to be clear - if I simply take out the take down lever and spring, then I'm good to go? Thanks!

NO SPRING IS NEEDED! If you take out the entire Mag Safety AND the little yellow internal Takedown LEVER (not to be confused with the external takedown lever). Don't know how to make this more clear? Take out the sear block, knock out the pin thats holding the MS and internal Takedown lever and reassemble without those parts. DONE. You will now have to pull the trigger to disassemble. When you pull the trigger hold the slide in place as the sear will push back on the striker and the slide will want to move forward slightly.

THE ONLY REASON YOU NEED THE SPRING is if you want to keep the takedown lever. It puts sideways pressure on it so it doesn't flop around.

You should read Dan Burwell's instructions to do that first!!

A spring must be repalced!!

Edited by ArnisAndyz

OK, Thanks!!

The instructions I have leave the Sear block Lever!!

Thanks

NO SPRING IS NEEDED! If you take out the entire Mag Safety AND the little yellow internal Takedown LEVER (not to be confused with the external takedown lever). Don't know how to make this more clear? Take out the sear block, knock out the pin thats holding the MS and internal Takedown lever and reassemble without those parts. DONE. You will now have to pull the trigger to disassemble. When you pull the trigger hold the slide in place as the sear will push back on the striker and the slide will want to move forward slightly.

THE ONLY REASON YOU NEED THE SPRING is if you want to keep the takedown lever. It puts sideways pressure on it so it doesn't flop around.

What gunsmiths do you know of that are doing competition oriented trigger work on the M&P?

So far I know of:

Dan Burwell

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com

Dan's work has lots of positive comments on the M&P forum.

Tom Novak

http://www.novakshandgunneroutlet.com

Found this with a search. I've heard some good things on Tom's Glock work.

Who else?

Or is it just so easy to work on that folks are getting acceptable results at home?

I want a good trigger and I want 100% reliable. Reliable being more important than a 1.5lb break, but if I can have both them I'm really happy.

The only one I knew of is dan Burwell.

I didn't know about Tom Novak.

Y

What gunsmiths do you know of that are doing competition oriented trigger work on the M&P?

So far I know of:

Dan Burwell

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com

Dan's work has lots of positive comments on the M&P forum.

Tom Novak

http://www.novakshandgunneroutlet.com

Found this with a search. I've heard some good things on Tom's Glock work.

Who else?

Or is it just so easy to work on that folks are getting acceptable results at home?

I want a good trigger and I want 100% reliable. Reliable being more important than a 1.5lb break, but if I can have both them I'm really happy.

FYI,

Brownells is now selling the M&P Sear Housing Block Assembly Without the Magazine Safety and No Internal Lock!!

I just ordered 2!!

Part Number 940-000-982

So does the above item include the sear? I looked at the schematic, but can't seem to determine if the sear can be purchased separately. I was reading the trigger job .pdf from dan burwell, and see that grinding/polishing of the sear is needed to shorten reset. Before I screw up my sear, I want to be able to determine where I can get a replacement.

sasquatch,

You can get a new sear directly frow S&W it is less then $5. I thought I saw brownell's listed them for sale seperatly or it would come included in the sear block assembly, but I'd rather pay $5 for just the parts you need.

Dan

Hi All,

I will have my first M&P on the way here shortly. No time estimate on the tape, but I will do my best, lest Yamil show up on my doorstep and unleash some Puerto Rican whoopass all over me. ;)

For anyone in the Spokane area, or if I'll be at a match near you, I'll have at least one complete M&P rigs (holster/belt/mags/pouches) for people to shoot. So if you want to show up to a match and race an M&P before you buy, here's your opportunity. Eventually, I would like to have two complete rigs for new shooters. With the interchangeable grip inserts and reversible mag catch, the M&P seems ideal for getting new shooters into the sport.

Thanks!

E

FYI,

I just ordered 2!!

Part Number 940-000-982

So does the above item include the sear? I looked at the schematic, but can't seem to determine if the sear can be purchased separately. I was reading the trigger job .pdf from dan burwell, and see that grinding/polishing of the sear is needed to shorten reset. Before I screw up my sear, I want to be able to determine where I can get a replacement.

AFAIK, it does!!

but... I'll have my parts in tomorrow, so I'll post pictures of the parts I get!!

Y