S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got my M&P back from smith a little bit ago. They fixed the problem, put on a oversized slide stop, disconnected the disconnect and sent me some extra mags and it didn't cost me a penny. I also ordered a Safariland 5186 for the glock .45 because I heard the m&P would fit it nicely and that holster isn't as expensive as most out there right now.

When I boought the M&P wholesale was $479- with night sights. Now it is much less and I hear some dealers are whining as if factories lowering prices after intitial product offerings doesn't happen all the time.

Edited by John Thompson

I was talking with someone from novak's handgunner outlet today. They have had their hands on an M&P long enough to have a trigger job in testing, and be prototyping a magwell and extended basepads (have currently gotten it to 18+1, but are still working on it).

So it looks like the interest is there to make this gun interesting in production and limited.

It'd be very cool if someone makes a magwell that replaces the grip strap retainer in it's eintirety. No idea if that is how Novak's works.

I shot a 9mm M&P over the weekend and it is a very flat shooting gun. I was watching my wife shoot it (She doesn't shoot often and has little experience with grip/recoil control) and it didn't have a half an inch of muzzle lift with her. She said that she didn't see the muzzle rise at all when I shot it.

The stock trigger SUCKS!! It's about 12-15 lbs. and gritty as all get out. A friend of mine who has a .40 has done some work on his trigger and it's turned out really nice.

Out of the box it was hitting a little (2-3 inches) to the left but it started raining and I didn't get time to adjust the rear sight.

My wife likes it a lot (As long as I can fix the trigger) so I'm going to get one for her for carry and production.

I still want the .40 with an additional .357 Sig bbl.

Where can I find 9mm mags for the M&P?

Thanks in advance. Dave

I called S&W and got .40 mags when none were available anywhere else that I could find. Even if you back order some I had a buddy get some in about a week...

The stock trigger SUCKS!! It's about 12-15 lbs. and gritty as all get out. A friend of mine who has a .40 has done some work on his trigger and it's turned out really nice.

Did you lube the firing pin block and the nubbin on the trigger bar that moves it as the manual indicated? IT doesn't appear to come form the factory lubed.

Despite the recommendations against it in the manual, I suggest using some moly grease or slide glide or something equivalent that will stay in place.

Dry fire it a couple hundred times like that, and it should feel much smoother.

Did you lube the firing pin block and the nubbin on the trigger bar that moves it as the manual indicated? IT doesn't appear to come form the factory lubed.

Despite the recommendations against it in the manual, I suggest using some moly grease or slide glide or something equivalent that will stay in place.

Dry fire it a couple hundred times like that, and it should feel much smoother.

Polishing wheel on my Dremel does wonders. Right now we have a tropical storm moving through so it'll be a while before I get to shoot it again. Maybe this coming weekend.

Had a quick question for you all shooting the M&P's. I shoot the XD because I found the grip angle to be the closest to a 1911. How is the grip angle of the M&P? It looks quite similar.

Thanks,

Ray

They fixed the problem, put on a oversized slide stop, disconnected the disconnect and sent me some extra mags and it didn't cost me a penny.

Would you by any chance have a picture of the bigger slide release? I'd really like to see it to judge if it is worth sending it back to S&W to get one put on.

As for the disconnect, how'd you convince them to do it? I was chatting online with someone else who tried to convince them, and they were told they couldn't do it without laser engraving the slide.

I must be missing something with how you deal with S&W, because I get nothing but ill-informed people or unfriendly people.

So far I have gotten people who tell me things I have purchased within 24 hours of the phoen call to them do not exist, and when asked if I could get a discount for ordering 8 magazines at once was offered about $2 off retail, which with shipping makes the price worthless.

Before I even bother talking to them about spare parts, anyone want to share hints on who to call, or how to go about it? The extension of someone who maybe has a clue and a lack of disdain for civilian consumers?

raz-o,

Can you send me an email with details about exactly whom you spoke with at S&W and when?

info@ericwesselman.com

Or if you want to call tomorrow, you can do so at 509.981.7558. Leave a message if I don't answer. I will call you back. I get very poor cell reception in my office. I will forward your concerns to my contact internally in S&W.

If anyone else is having issues where they can't get: parts, mags, service, answers, please send me an email to the address above. Please be specific, factual, and tactful, and I will forward your concerns along.

Thanks!

E

raz-o,

Can you send me an email with details about exactly whom you spoke with at S&W and when?

info@ericwesselman.com

Well, I didn't bother to get names at the time. One of my incidents I was in a rush, and wasn't going to argue witha sales guy when I had alternatives (my local FFL is looking into dealer pricing and will pass them on at cost).

As for the unreasonable guy on the phone who didn't know anything, by the point it became clear, I didn't think the whole "can I have your name thing" was going to result in anything but people turinging into outright asses.

As for the "you can't have a the disconnect removed" issue, that wasn't me, but someone else i ran into on another forum.

The main issue seems to be that you are at the mercy of whoever happens to pick up the phone, and what you get out of that seems to vary greatly, and that experience doesn't seem to be restricted to myself.

In the future, i'll try to get people's names up front so it doesn't seem as confrontational.

I don't have a photo of the slide stop but it looks exactly the same as the standard sized one. Not much bigger but just big enough I can use my thumb on it although it still takes some pressure to move.

They did lazer etch on my slide that the gun can be fired w/o magazine but it is tiny and you have to look for it.

Since my gun is used at LE training classes I wrote a pointed letter detailing that and spoke with my regional LE rep. They weren't the friendliest to me either but I still got taken care of.

I think the big diference was that my gun went in for a major out of the box repair and the reason they did the other things was to keep me happy.

Edited by John Thompson

• 2 months later...

So now that the gun is production legal who has come up with a trigger job for these yet, anyone know.

I have been checking them out, and really really liked the 9mm I was looking at today. It feels great in the hand, and just points real natural for me. I put the smaller grip part on it and it made it feel even better.

This 9mm I was looking at already has the disconnect.

So who is doing triggers, who has holsters in stock?

I am ready to get one and start shooting it in production.

Contact Dan Burwell about the trigger job, Burwell Gunsmithing. We have the Comp-Tac Kydex holsters and mag pouches in stock, the Blade Tech stuff is on the way. We also have replacement front sights with or without the fiber optic insert, click on Speed Shooter Specialties in the Dealers Forum.

I was dry firing mine today. It's much easier to reload than my Glocks. Also, the stock mag release works fine - no extension need. YMMV.

Does S&W sell the extended slide release?

Edited by chp5

Cy,

Smith will sell you the slide stop just call their customer service dept:

By Telephone:

1-800-331-0852 (USA)

Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

If you want you can send your gun back to them and they will install it free of charge. Just have to go without your gun for a bit.

Personally, I'd rather spend the $15-20 and keep my gun on my side. ;)

Dan Burwell

Cy,

Smith will sell you the slide stop just call their customer service dept:

By Telephone:

1-800-331-0852 (USA)

Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

If you want you can send your gun back to them and they will install it free of charge. Just have to go without your gun for a bit.

Personally, I'd rather spend the $15-20 and keep my gun on my side. ;)

Dan Burwell

Thanks Dan.