Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W M&P

Patrick Sweeney

Shot the M&P yesterday in .45. I really liked the front serrations and ambi-safety. The front of the guide rod had a neat hexagonal screw in there that locked in the slide. The trigger pull was at least 8 pounds crisp but other than that it grouped well at 25 yards for me. I will get a 5" one in 9mm when it comes out. Comfortable pistol to shoot. I thought it was made pretty well.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talked to rrep from S & W about the safety. He says it is for military pistols. They are going tosubmit them for trials. Part of militray requirement I guess. Was kinda cool looking and functional though.

pat

I just talked to a buddy who works in a large gun store in the area. Apparently he recently talked to a S&W rep. Per the rep, around Christmas/first of the year, not only will the 5" competition model be coming out but also a lot of other, new autos from S&W. This information is not supposed to be for public consumption, so you didn't hear it from me....

My rep said they were playing around with a 40 1911, he aso said they were working on a Christmas release for the 40 M&P 5" but said dont hold your breath as they had lots of orders to fill and that was the primary push.

I may be delirious to even think anybody can answer this, but is the 5-incher going to be a 9 or 40 or will they have both....?

IIRC, is not going to be full 5", but i'll find out, and the 9mm will come out first!!

Y

I may be delirious to even think anybody can answer this, but is the 5-incher going to be a 9 or 40 or will they have both....?

IIRC, is not going to be full 5", but i'll find out, and the 9mm will come out first!!

Y

Just thinking here...yeah, I know that's dangerous.

Since the grip angle is less steep than that on the Glock, they could probably approach 5.5" and still have it fit in both the IDPA and USPSA boxes. My guess is that there are engineering and/or production reasons that they aren't.

Just thinking here...yeah, I know that's dangerous.

Since the grip angle is less steep than that on the Glock, they could probably approach 5.5" and still have it fit in both the IDPA and USPSA boxes. My guess is that there are engineering and/or production reasons that they aren't.

Please dude, stop thinking, you might hurt yourself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Remember, they might stop at 5" to stay within IPSC rules!! If they go past the 5" limit, they will suffer the same fate ast the G34 & 35!!

Y

Nice article on the M&P Yamil, the pictures turned out nice. I'm always surprised at how my pictures always look better small in the magazine than they do large on my computer. Makes no sense whatsoever, but it's always been true. They used 7 of them for my article on the World Shoot Qualifier--between that and the .06 per word, I almost made enough to buy 32 rounds of 9mm, unless the price has gone up again.

I'm always surprised at how my pictures always look better small in the magazine than they do large on my computer. Makes no sense whatsoever, but it's always been true.

OT--- ON

Easy - Monitor is 72dpi no matter what. Offset printing is 150 line screen or about 300 dpi, at the minimum, Most offset shop have switched to direct to plate and are running 200 line sceen and more, with stocastic dots (it jumbles up the dots so they are not in staight lines and appers to add about 50 lines more of screen.)

OT---OFF

Scott

Nice article on the M&P Yamil, the pictures turned out nice. I'm always surprised at how my pictures always look better small in the magazine than they do large on my computer. Makes no sense whatsoever, but it's always been true. They used 7 of them for my article on the World Shoot Qualifier--between that and the .06 per word, I almost made enough to buy 32 rounds of 9mm, unless the price has gone up again.

I know what you eman about resolution on the screen, but this happens to everyone, if you make your image 100%, you have to look at it at the distance you would look at a print that size!! By that I mean, you wouldn't look at a 16"x20" print from 8" away, you would be about 6'away!!

In the Front Sight pay scale, I don't do the articles for the pay, trust me, they don't pay enough to live on. That's why some of the pro's have stopped doing work for them, they get paid more on other magazines and they want more money. I'm OK with doing it for their fee.

• 1 month later...

Today I got Francisco's M&P40 back from my gunsmith friend. He had been out of the business for some time and is trying to make a comeback, so I gave him one of the M&Ps so he could get familiar with the platform. We met at Gander's new shop in north JAX and took the M&P to the smith there who proceeded to measure the trigger pull. He said, "Average of 3 is ONE POUND 10 OUNCES" :o I think it's a little heavier than that but not far.

So, next time we meet ask me to see Francisco's limited M&P40. If you like it I'll hook you up for some of Pete's handy work. :):)

Today I got Francisco's M&P40 back from my gunsmith friend. He had been out of the business for some time and is trying to make a comeback, so I gave him one of the M&Ps so he could get familiar with the platform. We met at Gander's new shop in north JAX and took the M&P to the smith there who proceeded to measure the trigger pull. He said, "Average of 3 is ONE POUND 10 OUNCES" :o I think it's a little heavier than that but not far.

So, next time we meet ask me to see Francisco's limited M&P40. If you like it I'll hook you up for some of Pete's handy work. :):)

be careful with that pistol. :surprise:

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody put some serious rounds through one of these to see how they hold up long term?

Do the trigger jobs on the m&p also reduce the power of the striker hitting the primer?

Well, I got one. I wrote this in another forum:

My FLD had two M&P .45s, both in "Dark Earth Brown", both with safeties, one with night sights. I got the one without night sights, since my feeble mind is too easily confused by three dots in the dark. I'm going to get a front tritium sight later.

I only ran 200 rounds through it - 100 rounds of my 230 grain RNL loads, 50 of my 230 grain FMJ loads, and 50 of Federal 45D 230 grain JHPs. I had one failure to go into battery at about round 15, using the FMJs. I figured that maybe my plan of not lubing it first might've been a bad idea, locked the slide back, and put one drop of RemOil down each rail. It didn't stutter again with any of the ammo.

The magazines were a bear to load to capacity at the beginning, but loosened up as the session wore on.

Recoil was about the same as (or maybe less than) with my Gubmint Model, and less than with my Combat Commander. Accuracy was good, at least on the part of the pistol. It shot to POA, though the lead bullet ammo shot a hair to the left. The factory ammo shot considerably better than my reloads. Oh, well...the Colts like my ammo, dang it!

I have a lot of work to do to get used to this trigger. It's relatively heavy; the little bit of creep that was there when I first started dry-firing it was pretty much gone at the end of the session. I need to shoot it some more, but I think it's going to get a trigger job soon. A five pound trigger with the manual safety ought to work out okay.

To be honest, I'm in the process of training myself to use the thumbs-forward grip instead of the thumbs-locked-down version I've been using for 25 years, so I don't know how much that's influencing my impressions. I kept having problems with first shots being dead-center in the -0 part of an IDPA practice target, and the second being the same elevation but on the ring between the -0 and -1 sections. I was consistent - one hole in each place after a couple of magazines. I slowed down and that problem went away - imagine that.

One thing I didn't do...it didn't even occur to me to try the different backstraps. That'll happen next time.

Overall, I like the gun, but recognize there's a learning curve for it. I guess I'll just have to shoot it some more. Oh, the pain...

be careful with that pistol. :surprise:

Francisco let me have a go at it in the safe area at the Sectionals last weekend... sweet buttery goodness... what a trigger. Whomever did the work (Nemo told me but I forgot) did an exceptional job.

Francisco let me have a go at it in the safe area at the Sectionals last weekend... sweet buttery goodness... what a trigger. Whomever did the work (Nemo told me but I forgot) did an exceptional job.

The trigger work on my M&P Limited was done by my friend Pedro Ortiz of Savannah, GA. Excellent gunsmith that is trying to get established again. If you would like to use his services, maybe Kenny Dickerson of Speed Shooter Specialties could receive your gun and have Pedro work on it at his shop.

Has anybody put some serious rounds through one of these to see how they hold up long term?

Do the trigger jobs on the m&p also reduce the power of the striker hitting the primer?

I've put probably 6000 rounds through one M&P 9mm, 1000 or so through another and 500 or so through a 45. No problems with any of them. All 6000 rounds were with a gun which has a 3lb trigger pull. The trigger job does not reduce the power of the striker hitting the primer. No spring changes are neccessary to accomplish a very nice trigger.

Hope that helps.

Update on the M&P .45: I took it to the range again tonight and put another 150 rounds through it, 100 round of 230 grain RNLs and 50 230 grain FMJs. I also put about 50 rounds of the same ammo through my Combat Commander. This is the first time I shot them side-by-side, and the M&P is way softer.

After its first outing I did something that might get my man-card pulled...I cleaned it according to the instructions. There's one little doo-hickey in there that I didn't recognize, but a drop of oil on it smoothed the trigger pretty nicely. I haven't measured it, but it's reasonable.

I switched out the medium backstrap insert for the large, and the tendency to pull shots left went away. I can still jerk the trigger and pull shots low :angry2: , but they're not spreading horizontally.

I'm liking it more and more. I'm waiting for my holster and magazine holders from Talon Tactical; they should be here Thursday or so. (I tried Comp-Tac, and they don't have a mold yet.) I may be going to a one week school at Ft. Bragg in December, and have already checked out the available matches - an IDPA match on the way there, and a USPSA match on the way back. :D