Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas vs everyone else

X5SigChris

So today at the Area 8 Steel Challenge Championship, Go Fast Don’t Suck allowed me to shoot the Atlas Nemesis today. I have to say, I loved every bit of it. It felt great in my hands, tracked amazingly, and was smooth. Much better than my STI Edge. My question is, does the price tag really on par when compared to other brands? 

Does anyone have and personal experience when shooting an atlas against something like a bul armory or phenix? Any other brands are welcome to debate as well. I’m thinking it’s time to sell some of the safe queens to fund a new toy. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Ak12 said:

I own both the Nemesis and an Akai Limited (stroked, with tungsten barrel and PT grip).  The Akai shoots softer than the Nemesis.

The PT grip is pretty awesome. Also first time holding one. I told myself to not look at a custom gun, don’t touch it, don’t smell it, nothing. Because then I’d want it. Now look where we are lol

34 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

The PT grip is pretty awesome. Also first time holding one. I told myself to not look at a custom gun, don’t touch it, don’t smell it, nothing. Because then I’d want it. Now look where we are lol

It is a serious disease and the drugs for it are very expensive😀

Funny part is, right before that a guy in our squad was shooting wheel guns. I know very minimal about wheel guns but they are cool to look at. His was freakishly beautiful with custom wood grips and a carbon fiber barrel. It was elegant and serious all at the same time. He was letting everyone check it out. I didn’t go over because I didn’t want to flip the switch in my brain. 30 minutes later GFDS shoves that atlas in my face with ten rounds and said “head over to bay one and have fun”. Self control only lasts so long. 

45 minutes ago, X5SigChris said:

Funny part is, right before that a guy in our squad was shooting wheel guns. I know very minimal about wheel guns but they are cool to look at. His was freakishly beautiful with custom wood grips and a carbon fiber barrel. It was elegant and serious all at the same time. He was letting everyone check it out. I didn’t go over because I didn’t want to flip the switch in my brain. 30 minutes later GFDS shoves that atlas in my face with ten rounds and said “head over to bay one and have fun”. Self control only lasts so long. 

u mean with something like this?😀

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L7hwmyG_BHI/Uyuj4MYtIiI/AAAAAAAACwk/Pz-MAIW2CgI/s1600/8qjzrqkihfE.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-L7hwmyG_BHI/Uyuj4MYtIiI/AAAAAAAACwk/Pz-MAIW2CgI/s1600/8qjzrqkihfE.jpg

Edited by yigal

I've had lots of STIs/Staccatos, Infinitys, Cheelys, Tripps, Triangle SS, Wilsons, Baers and Springfields.  I tried my first Atlas a couple years ago for IDPA and I love them.  I think their Alpha grip is an amazing step forward in grip design.  While they don't have a ton of color/cut options, their fit/finish, accuracy and reliability is right there with Infinity.  Are they worth 3 times the cost of a Staccato?  I'm not sure, but people pay their price all the time.

Atlas make nice guns.  But the lack of options is a deal killer for a lot of people.  Also, any competent smith can build something comparable with good quality parts. And probably for less money.  Problem is, the good ones have more work than they can keep up with. 

1 hour ago, Bandit69 said:

People seem to waist money these days on things like names instead of functions.

Not sure who's wasting money on names instead of functions.  When it comes to firearms, like most other stuff, you get what you pay for.  At least to a point.  Cheap guns are typically make with cheap parts, MIM components, with large tolerances, poor fits, and assembled by unskilled workers.  Expensive custom or semi-custom guns have parts machined from forgings or bar stock, to close tolerance, assembled by competent smiths, etc.  Some people aren't able to tell the difference between the two, or just don't care.  And/or the difference for them isn't worth the extra money.  Those folks should absolutely go for the cheaper option and be happy with their choice.  Folks that do see the difference and care about it will be glad they spent the extra money.  But it's completely wrong to say the people in the latter group are wasting money on names v. functions. In fact, for that extra money they'll get a superior product that functions better, lasts longer, looks better and has a better resale value.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Not sure who's wasting money on names instead of functions.  When it comes to firearms, like most other stuff, you get what you pay for.  At least to a point.  Cheap guns are typically make with cheap parts, MIM components, with large tolerances, poor fits, and assembled by unskilled workers.  Expensive custom or semi-custom guns have parts machined from forgings or bar stock, to close tolerance, assembled by competent smiths, etc.  Some people aren't able to tell the difference between the two, or just don't care.  And/or the difference for them isn't worth the extra money.  Those folks should absolutely go for the cheaper option and be happy with their choice.  Folks that do see the difference and care about it will be glad they spent the extra money.  But it's completely wrong to say the people in the latter group are wasting money on names v. functions. In fact, for that extra money they'll get a superior product that functions better, lasts longer, looks better and has a better resale value.

You can absolutely spend the same money you would on an atlas, SV, ECT... and still have a poorly built anything. Cost doesn't always directly reflect quality. Usually what I find is cost is due to a few factors. What the company uses to build the gun, and how much name recognition they already have. And the linger they have been doing it the more the name ends up carrying the high price points. Either they find a way to keep costs reasonable and customers happy while having longer wait times or they find ways to cut manufacturing times which usually results in product quality going down. IMO Atlas has found a middle ground of sorts where they decided a semi custom gun with quality parts mostly built by machine with minimal need of hand fitting has gained them the ability to keep higher quality and speed up manufacturing times. 

Fair points.  For the Atlas, even if they're good parts, build, etc., they don't represent a good value to me because they're borderline overpriced to start with (my own personal opinion), then to add in the cost of all the stuff I'd have to change plus the cost to refinish the gun, and it's just not worth it.  I can get better quality parts built the way I want from reputable builder(s) for significantly less money.  But, there must have plenty of people who like them as they are because they sure sell a lot of guns.

3 hours ago, ltdmstr said:

for that extra money they'll get a superior product that functions better, lasts longer, looks better and has a better resale value.

The other big component to cost is customization. For my nickel the best value is with well built factory guns (CZ TS for example) seconded by the "blue plate special" (Baer, Wilson, Triangle, etc) semi customs. Full custom is cool if you can afford it and if having something a bit unique is valuable to you. 

There is defiantly a few companies that cost more due to the name. Biggest one that comes to mind is snap-on. However that name came with perks too when I was a mechanic. They came to me weekly and 9/10 times they replaced anything broken right then and there. That is, if anything broke. To my understanding, atlas has a great customer service and warranty. Granted, that’s second hand knowledge and not personal experience. I don’t know how good it really is. 

only thing I can do is compare that one atlas I shot to the few STIs I’ve shot/owned. Everything about it was in fact better. Tighter overall, trigger was “cleaner” (best word I can use I think), and most importantly it tracked better. This could be from a few reasons though that I can’t ignore. My STI is 10+ years old, this had superior machining involved in the making of it, and my skills as a shooter have improved. All in all though, the sights landed right back on target (10” steel at 15ish yards) after every shot. I believe that’s what impressed me the most. 

also… it was so nice to go from big dot to a nice, crisp, small FO front sight again. Maybe I just miss limited 🤷‍♂️

what snap on really offers is tools right now that you can pay for later. Lots of tools offer a lifetime warranty they just dont come to you and offer a payment plan. Neither does Atlas. So not really the same.

If you want something that feels different, why not find a good gunsmith to fit a steel grip to your edge, and redo the trigger job as a freshen up? Then get some different weight recoil springs and main springs and do some tuning sessions at the range (maybe try a firing pin stop with a different geometry than what's in your gun currently.)

40 minutes ago, caspian guy said:

If you want something that feels different, why not find a good gunsmith to fit a steel grip to your edge, and redo the trigger job as a freshen up? Then get some different weight recoil springs and main springs and do some tuning sessions at the range (maybe try a firing pin stop with a different geometry than what's in your gun currently.)

That is an option. It would be 1/5th the price lol. 

2 hours ago, X5SigChris said:

That is an option. It would be 1/5th the price lol. 

Yep if you aren't badly infected with new gun disease it's a good idea in 2 ways 😁...  1 Use it as a chance to try things and find out what you like... 2 eventually when/if you decide to get a custom gun built this will give you a good backup.

Edited by caspian guy