Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Atlas vs everyone else

X5SigChris

I was going to stay out of this discussion.  I agree with a lot that has been said.  I also disagree with a lot.

I build my own 1911s and 2011s.  I've used JEM receivers, slides and frames, Brazos frames, slides and barrel, and STI receiver and slide and Caspian slides.  I'm sure I've forgotten others.

Since I build my own I get asked to look at any number of guns.  Over the years I've formed lots of opinions.  Here are some.  Brazos frames and slides are WAY better than anything Atlas, AND Brazos slides don't crack.  JEM makes nice stuff, but his finishing is nowhere near as nice as Brazos and Cheely.  Warwick Tactical is another reasonably priced maker of fine guns.  Geez, their barrel fit is so precise they have a large number different barrel link lengths so they can use the exact correct length.

Stay FAR away from anything Caspian or STI.  There are a couple of others I could add to that list, but I haven't handled enough of their stuff to form a definite opinion.

As far as internals:  If Cheely makes it, I use it.  Next is EGW.  Extreme Engineering is fine also.  C&S is repackaged EE stuff.  If you are using a Brazos frame and slide, use his internals.  Some of them just fit better.

I don't care for most Dawson stuff, especially the tool-less guide rods and reverse plugs.  I've had two of their guide rods break in under 5000 rounds and one of their reverse plug separated.  All were at matches no less.  Their sights are nice.

To the poster that said steel grip manufacturer doesn't matter because you'll eventually get used to it.  I say BS.  IMO it matters a lot because they all feel so different.

Edited by zzt

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my 2 open guns built almost entirely around the fact that I only wanted a LSI grp and Cheely XWF for a frame.  Not a fan of the PT or Cheely grips.  Everything else I was very flexible on with the stipulation that I didn't want the slide to have any cut throughs on them.  

For a full customized build, Infinity (If you are willing to wait 12-15 months) , Atlas is a good choice, I had the opportunity to tried both, settle for Infinity 5.4 Limited. Price tag in Atlas (Nemesis) is close to base configuration in Infinity, that was my main driver to go with Infinity. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've handled an Atlas Nemesis and Titan, and definitely prefer my SVI Hybrid barrel. Like MaX_1 said, considering the price points, I'd recommend you go with Infinity. Their customer service is top notch, and you might as well get a truly custom gun for the money you'll be paying vs a semi-custom that will look like everyone else's Atlas (depending on finish etc...). I've also noticed more than a few people run into troubles with their Atlas' at matches, mostly FTFeeds. A guy I shoot with quite often ran his Atlas Nemesis as soon as he got it at a match and ended up walking away because of FTFeeds. He shoots open now with guns from RSU and Venom Customs instead :D

4 hours ago, Baynewrady said:

He shoots open now with guns from RSU and Venom Customs instead :D

I have to say, looking at venoms kill me. Makes me realize how much imagination I don’t have. Some of them are just wild

1 hour ago, X5SigChris said:

I have to say, looking at venoms kill me. Makes me realize how much imagination I don’t have. Some of them are just wild

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. Or just the observation. Lol

24 minutes ago, donnyglock said:

Thank you. I appreciate the compliment. Or just the observation. Lol

We can go with both lol. I can only think how this past weekend I came in hot and high on a low port and bashed my slide on the wall. I may have shed a tear if I did that with a custom 

1 minute ago, X5SigChris said:

We can go with both lol. I can only think how this past weekend I came in hot and high on a low port and bashed my slide on the wall. I may have shed a tear if I did that with a custom 

Lol. It can all be fixed brother but I definitely hear ya. 

On 5/26/2022 at 5:12 PM, zzt said:

I was going to stay out of this discussion.  I agree with a lot that has been said.  I also disagree with a lot.

I build my own 1911s and 2011s.  I've used JEM receivers, slides and frames, Brazos frames, slides and barrel, and STI receiver and slide and Caspian slides.  I'm sure I've forgotten others.

Since I build my own I get asked to look at any number of guns.  Over the years I've formed lots of opinions.  Here are some.  Brazos frames and slides are WAY better than anything Atlas, AND Brazos slides don't crack.  JEM makes nice stuff, but his finishing is nowhere near as nice as Brazos and Cheely.  Warwick Tactical is another reasonably priced maker of fine guns.  Geez, their barrel fit is so precise they have a large number different barrel link lengths so they can use the exact correct length.

Stay FAR away from anything Caspian or STI.  There are a couple of others I could add to that list, but I haven't handled enough of their stuff to form a definite opinion.

As far as internals:  If Cheely makes it, I use it.  Next is EGW.  Extreme Engineering is fine also.  C&S is repackaged EE stuff.  If you are using a Brazos frame and slide, use his internals.  Some of them just fit better.

I don't care for most Dawson stuff, especially the tool-less guide rods and reverse plugs.  I've had two of their guide rods break in under 5000 rounds and one of their reverse plug separated.  All were at matches no less.  Their sights are nice.

To the poster that said steel grip manufacturer doesn't matter because you'll eventually get used to it.  I say BS.  IMO it matters a lot because they all feel so different.

Thanks for the info. I dont shoot competition but I like my high end pistols. My friend owns TSS in Avondale.

On 5/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, ltdmstr said:

Not sure who's wasting money on names instead of functions.  When it comes to firearms, like most other stuff, you get what you pay for.  At least to a point.  Cheap guns are typically make with cheap parts, MIM components, with large tolerances, poor fits, and assembled by unskilled workers.  Expensive custom or semi-custom guns have parts machined from forgings or bar stock, to close tolerance, assembled by competent smiths, etc.  Some people aren't able to tell the difference between the two, or just don't care.  And/or the difference for them isn't worth the extra money.  Those folks should absolutely go for the cheaper option and be happy with their choice.  Folks that do see the difference and care about it will be glad they spent the extra money.  But it's completely wrong to say the people in the latter group are wasting money on names v. functions. In fact, for that extra money they'll get a superior product that functions better, lasts longer, looks better and has a better resale value.

Well said.

• 5 weeks later...

I just picked up a used Gen 1 Nemesis. I've shot maybe 600 total rounds with 300 or so at a match through the gun. HOLY COW!!!!! This thing is amazing. Hand loads with 180 grain blue bullets making 172 PF. 

Came from shooting a Bul Armory SAS II Air R edition and the difference is night and day. Put maybe 1500 rounds down the Bul. At the PA USPSA sectional it wasn't feeding factory Federal 200 grain syntech or my hand loads. Key holes at 5 yards with both ammo.

Fit and finish and the Atlas is amazing. Smooth action and trigger. Slide has no binding, just glides.  The PT grip DNA collector for sure. Once you establish your grip it won't change. The return to zero and tracking of the sight makes a huge difference when you're taking that follow shot.

In my opinion the Atlas is well worth it. Not only customer service but having the confidence going into a match knowing that it will go bang unless I mess up up reloading.

I'm expecting my 4th Atlas, the Ares, to ship this week.  The 3 I've owned have all ran perfectly, right out of the box.  The Artemis is probably my favorite match gun.  They are expensive, but I've never had to wait for than 8 weeks to get one.  

• 2 months later...

My first 2011 was an Atlas Titan, bought in 2019. Over 45K rounds later it is still my main comp gun. Slide & barrel fit is still tight as new, not a slight wiggle. I replace recoil spring twice a year. On top if that, the original extractor hook broke at about 5000 rd mark. I bought another EGW extractor and fitted it myself, 40K rds later, still in the gun.

Yes, I have had malfunctions: 1. FTE due to dirty extractor. Did not clean the hook and channel after two days training in Ben's class (about 1500 rds), went to shoot a match the next weekend. Had multiple FTE & FTF (due to the FTE) problems, went home clean and retuned the extractor. The problem went away. 2. FTF (nose dive) due to weak mag spring, had at least one FTF pretty much half of the stages during 2022 Are 5 match. I guess the fine sand on the ground coupled with my one & half season old mag springs did not go well together. Went back home, replaced all mags springs and problem went away immediately. 

Based on my own experience, I will say at around 4k mark, the titan is well worth the money. Unfortunately, they don't make it on a regular basis anymore. The limited gun Atlas offer nowadays are 2K over the titan, i personally think the sight block addition does not justify the price hike. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2022 at 8:55 PM, Dr_Z said:

Based on my own experience, I will say at around 4k mark, the titan is well worth the money. Unfortunately, they don't make it on a regular basis anymore. The limited gun Atlas offer nowadays are 2K over the titan, i personally think the sight block addition does not justify the price hike. 

Similar story here. I have an older PT parts based Titan that's my favorite gun. It's been great. I had a few 'others' custom or semi customs  along the way and just didn't like them as much. Ordered my new Artemis recently. Though not happy with even less options as I had before, and agree about the price tag - the headache, time and money lost trying 'other' and then selling said other.... not worth it. I'll  just cry once and be done with it. Though I will say if delivery times were equal, SVI would also be in my decision list. I just need faster delivery than they can do.