Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS restrictions, the hill the division will die on?

obsessiveshooter

1 hour ago, Sinister4 said:

Like to be able to shoot my sig 220`s (.45acp) in single stack....and my 1911`s that have no barrel bushings

Never quite understood why bull barrels were not allowed in SS. I don’t see them as that big of advantage. 

Maybe the Divisions need a bit of rework, but I think the current trend is towards rule stability for the foreseeable future.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 5/4/2022 at 4:11 PM, regor said:

While we're at it, let's open it up to all single stack magazine pistols. I know a lot of people (myself included) would have fun trolling locals with a $100 bill hydro dipped Hi-Point.

Hi Point C9 9mm with Hundred Dollar ($100) Bill Finish | Sportsman's  Outdoor Superstore

Just send it to Assailant Arms and troll CO with it

Edited by Johnny_Chimpo

SS rules aren't likely to change because little upside and much downside for the few people already shooting it... if it turns out that bull-barrels are the thing to have (they seem to be in IPSC where they're allowed), then the bushing-gun people get cranky.  If your single-stack-hhipoint or SIG beats a 1911 shooter, they'll blame the gun (even though it won't be) and will get cranky.

Unless there's more people sure to shoot because of new rules than those that will get cranky and leave if they are implemented, it's not likely to change much, if any.  We did get the weight bumped a little after much complaining that factory 9mm 1911s couldn't make it out of the box....

3 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

Like to be able to shoot my sig 220`s (.45acp) in single stack....and my 1911`s that have no barrel bushings

id like to be able to shoot my open gun in ss. i keep getting my azz kicked in the division where my gun fits, and it hurts my feelings.

1 hour ago, shred said:

We did get the weight bumped a little after much complaining that factory 9mm 1911s couldn't make it out of the box....

You misspelled dnroi got bumped to open because he didn't make weight 🤣🤣

9 hours ago, motosapiens said:

id like to be able to shoot my open gun in ss. i keep getting my azz kicked in the division where my gun fits, and it hurts my feelings.

You miss the point, no way I could shoot the 220 better than my class legal 1911, but it would be nice to shoot a few matches with it, adding numbers to the class.  And 8 rounds, junk trigger, not as accurate why would anybody care anyway ? 

59 minutes ago, Sinister4 said:

You miss the point, no way I could shoot the 220 better than my class legal 1911, but it would be nice to shoot a few matches with it, adding numbers to the class.  And 8 rounds, junk trigger, not as accurate why would anybody care anyway ? 

L10?

Let's look at Revo, remember when we allowed 8 shot guns? Game changer right? Going to bring life to the division from all those 8 shot guns. Some guys didn't want to buy a new gun, and their 6 shot became obsolete so they quit shooting the division. Back when I started uspsa I shot revolver, there would be 8-10 shooters at a match. Adding 8 shot did boost turn out here for a little while seeing numbers north of 10 at our area match. This year there were 5 revolvers. 

So I think @shredis on to something, there is a real risk of further hurting a division like SS when making changes to try to save it. It'll likely never really be a popular division, I think we need to accept that. Same with revolver and L10. 

16 hours ago, motosapiens said:

I think any Iron Sighted single stack gun fits better in Single Stack division than anywhere else, but the division name and the equipment rules just don't align. It's actually Old School 1911 division. Let my Hi-Point play! 

45 minutes ago, regor said:

I think any Iron Sighted single stack gun fits better in Single Stack division than anywhere else, but the division name and the equipment rules just don't align. It's actually Old School 1911 division. Let my Hi-Point play! 

i don't disagree, but I also don't care that much. everything fits in L10, so your hipoint can play there too.

Yeah, lets fix L10 to make it popular since it's probably never going away.

Magwells allowed for single-stack guns (1911s, SIGs, HiPoints or whatever) to balance those out.  Add in Major 9 to make it more exciting.

On 9/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, cbrussell said:

It seems once there is a Division, even if it is just provisional, it is here to stay. I can’t remember one ever going away.

In USPSA they don't, even if it needs the help of some shenanigans to pass the bar...

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with the changes Obsessive Shooter suggests.  I don't see them creating a significant advantage and it would allow more shooters to try Single Stack.  I also don't want to see any of the categories go away.  I love Production, except for the magazine capacity limitation.  I also like to shoot Revolver, Single Stack, Limited, and Limited 10 occasionally.  I don't even care if I'm the only shooter in the category.  I'm in it for the fun and the experience as much as the competition.  It doesn't hurt to have these categories.  There's really no extra work involved since all the scoring is computerized anyway.  If these categories keep more shooters in USPSA, great.

10 minutes ago, Almo said:

I agree with the changes Obsessive Shooter suggests.  I don't see them creating a significant advantage and it would allow more shooters to try Single Stack.  I also don't want to see any of the categories go away.  I love Production, except for the magazine capacity limitation.  I also like to shoot Revolver, Single Stack, Limited, and Limited 10 occasionally.  I don't even care if I'm the only shooter in the category.  I'm in it for the fun and the experience as much as the competition.  It doesn't hurt to have these categories.  There's really no extra work involved since all the scoring is computerized anyway.  If these categories keep more shooters in USPSA, great.

I second this position!

12 minutes ago, Almo said:

I agree with the changes Obsessive Shooter suggests.  I don't see them creating a significant advantage and it would allow more shooters to try Single Stack.  I also don't want to see any of the categories go away.  I love Production, except for the magazine capacity limitation.  I also like to shoot Revolver, Single Stack, Limited, and Limited 10 occasionally. I don't even care  if I'm the only shooter in the category.  I'm in it for the fun and the experience as much as the competition.  It doesn't hurt to have these categories.  There's really no extra work involved since all the scoring is computerized anyway.  If these categories keep more shooters in USPSA, great.

But can't the opposite be said too. If you are fine being the only shooter, and just want to have fun. Can't you be the only shooter shooting ______ in open division? The only reason to need a division for everything is so everyone get's recognition because they're in it for more than just the fun and experience. 

Maybe we take a trick from IDPA and implement a NFC division. Not For Competition. Great place to just be there for fun and run what ever odd ball thing you want as long as it fits the safety rules. I've shot several matches in NFC at IDPA and Open in USPSA when I just wanted to play with something and have fun. 

The OP was not advocating for another Division, just for tweaking the rules to allow more typically purchased SS type guns to compete. I think it is a most reasonable suggestion. To your point, I would not advocate for any new Divisions at this time. (I would change Production magazine capacity to match that of CO. I believe that would increase participation in Production.)

Like I said, "I'm in it for the fun and the experience as much as the competition."  I'm still competitive and there are often at least a few shooters in any category.  It's nice to have a comparison so I know how well I'm doing.  Comparing myself to Open wouldn't tell me much.

25 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

The OP was not advocating for another Division, just for tweaking the rules to allow more typically purchased SS type guns to compete. I think it is a most reasonable suggestion. To your point, I would not advocate for any new Divisions at this time. (I would change Production magazine capacity to match that of CO. I believe that would increase participation in Production.)

I agree with the magazine capacity change for Production.  Carry Optics was championed as a Carry (or Production) gun with an optic sight.  So why have a different magazine capacity?

On 5/21/2022 at 5:34 AM, Brooke said:

I don't shoot SS and likely never will. However I understand the purists who enjoy them and their desire not to allow additional modifications of the division. 

I really dislike the desires expressed so often to change the division rules to allow guns that some people have or mods they would like. Pick a division and shoot it. 

+1!