Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS restrictions, the hill the division will die on?

obsessiveshooter

11 hours ago, WFargo said:

But about Single Stack division....  Mr. Sevigny made a great comeback ánd showed that minor is very competitive in Single Stack by finishing second in the Classic Nats..   let's start that discussion again! 😁

No, just kidding... But really great that Dave did so well, and that he's back in the game. 

Nils won it, but he's not from this planet... 

this year's match was pretty heavily tilted towards 10 rounds imho. the people in L10 that I'm normally close to were far ahead of me this time. There were still lots of ipsc targets and 1 handed shooting (which favor major scoring), but I think ss minor was more viable than usual just due to the stage designs. Lots of places where 8-round shooters had to squeeze in awkward reloads, or take a bit more time to be certain of hits when there was no margin for make-up shots.

Was nice to see mr sevigny back in action tho.

Edited by motosapiens

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, WFargo said:

Maybe it was me and my connection, but I could not find a live stream for these nationals....  Would 've been fun to see a little bit of action.... 

There were issues with their cell provider if I recall. Not sure if they have a backup provider.

ah, that's a shame...  you know, it's far from perfect, those live streams, but honestly, just the fact that I could see some live action of the game I love is still nice.... 

And yeah, from what I saw on Instagram, stages did indeed favour minor. 

14 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

There were issues with their cell provider if I recall. Not sure if they have a backup provider.

6 hours ago, WFargo said:

ah, that's a shame...  you know, it's far from perfect, those live streams, but honestly, just the fact that I could see some live action of the game I love is still nice.... 

And yeah, from what I saw on Instagram, stages did indeed favour minor. 

Verizon changed their coverage to favor the race track (understandable I guess?) and it shafted the range and the area around. From what I can tell, there's just not decent service from any provider to support streaming out there now, which is a shame.

SS v. CO The position of an old guy.

I shot Open back when there were three Divisions Open, Limited and Revolver. I'm talking 4 matches a month plus most of the majors. I was there when when a single port 38 Super with iron sights were winning Nationals and a .45 was still competitive in open at the local and many state level matches.  I stopped shooting about 30 years ago and my last gun was a Chip McCormick with a ProPoint sight and enough holes in the compensator that I really don't remember how many there actually were.

Several years back I wanted to shoot again I decided I wasn't going to get into an arms race so I took my SA .45 ACP out to a local match.  I realized real quick that I could no longer pick up both the front sight and the target with any real speed and it just wasn't fun.

Not long after that I bought a Glock 19 for a carry gun.  A couple of years later I added a slide milled for an RDS.  At the range I could do everything faster and more accurately.  

This year after semi-retirement I decided I wanted to shoot again.  I bought me a G34 Gen 5 slapped a RDS on it and had a blast.  I shot my 3rd match in 3 weeks last night. 

All I can say is if there wasn't a CO class I wouldn't be shooting USPSA and from my chats with some fellow CO shooters 3 or 4 other is a small club wouldn't be either.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:27 PM, twodownzero said:

From reading your other posts, we agree on most of it.  I don't agree with dots outside of open, but if we had to, having another low cap division instead of making welfare open would have been far superior to what we got.

I have a suspicion that someday soon, I'll be forced to get a carry optics gun or stay home.  I hate to say it, but I very well may stay home.  If Limited and Open really are dead and it's just all rifles and welfare open, the game is done.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:36 PM, BritinUSA said:

The original concept was a lo-cap Production gun with a red dot.

Same rules as Production but with the dot… that was it… And that’s what the rest of the world has done.

Well said.  Agreed!

On 5/26/2022 at 12:24 PM, GigG said:

SS v. CO The position of an old guy.

All I can say is if there wasn't a CO class I wouldn't be shooting USPSA and from my chats with some fellow CO shooters 3 or 4 other is a small club wouldn't be either.

Well, that is nice.  But why wouldn't you shoot CO if it was still simply "Production with Optics"?  After all, that is the crux of this entire discussion.  

1 hour ago, varminter22 said:

Well, that is nice.  But why wouldn't you shoot CO if it was still simply "Production with Optics"?  After all, that is the crux of this entire discussion.  

i wouldn’t. if im going to shoot locap i’ll shoot ss the way the lord intended.

people have voted with their wallets and hicap CO is a winner. nearly half the field at A1 next week is CO, including 10 gms and 31 Ms.

34 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

people have voted with their wallets and hicap CO is a winner. nearly half the field at A1 next week is CO, including 10 gms and 31 Ms.

That's a problem, what we need to do is make carry-ops more suckier so less people will shoot it. That's the only way to true enlightenment

2 hours ago, RJH said:

That's a problem, what we need to do is make carry-ops more suckier so less people will shoot it. That's the only way to true enlightenment

i know, right? If people love something, we need to f*** it up somehow so there is 'balance'.

4 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

I just want to be able to shoot CO with iron sights, ZERO reason not to allow this and it would perhaps make the division even larger....

By suppressor hight sights, leave the dot on the gun but turn it off. Now you can shoot it with irons. 

44 minutes ago, RJH said:

By suppressor hight sights, leave the dot on the gun but turn it off. Now you can shoot it with irons. 

you know I was thinking about doing that but no way im hacking up the slide to install a fake dot I`ll just keep shooting limited unless they change  the rule

As I think I stated before, making the optic mandatory was only needed during the provisional period so USPSA could accurately determine the number of competitors who were actually shooting a production optic gun.

The optic is not mandated in Open or PCC, so it should not be mandated here either.

29 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

As I think I stated before, making the optic mandatory was only needed during the provisional period so USPSA could accurately determine the number of competitors who were actually shooting a production optic gun.

The optic is not mandated in Open or PCC, so it should not be mandated here either.

Damn, we actually agree on this LOL. I guess since they're going with the name carry optics, they want an optics on the gun. Whatever though, doesn't bother me one way or another

19 hours ago, Sinister4 said:

you know I was thinking about doing that but no way im hacking up the slide to install a fake dot I`ll just keep shooting limited unless they change  the rule

what did your AD say when you wrote to him about changing that rule?  

I'll see him this weekend, I'll bring it up.

2 hours ago, motosapiens said:

what did your AD say when you wrote to him about changing that rule?  

I'll see him this weekend, I'll bring it up.

Thank you !   I sent a message as well.

Edited by Sinister4

• 3 months later...

I'm new to the sport, but if I shoot low cap it's SS. Sometimes it's just playing the reload game, but whatever. I do have an issue with the restrictions on the pistol. Mine has a rail so it's not legal, no one cares at the small local match so it's whatever. But if I wanted to do anything for real in that class I'd have to buy a new gun for a simple cosmetic reason. A friend of mine made a matching pair 1911 and 2011 but they done truly match cuz SS has dumb cosmetic rules. It's just really outdated. Like if they had it their way we would only use true a 1911A1. Let people play the game with cool newer s#!t. 

50 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

There is, or at least was a rule about the length of the dust cover. 

Under Permitted Features:

Factory installed light rail attachments if the dust cover is no longer than 3.25 inches measured from the rear of the slide stop pin to the front of the dust cover.