Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS restrictions, the hill the division will die on?

obsessiveshooter

Why not just allow bull barrels, slide milling holes and raise the weight limit for SS? Those restrictions are needless, and the changes wouldn't affect match outcomes. Hardly anyone shoots the division, so the changes will allow more members to use their SS pistols. 

I know there would be hand wringing from some vocal purists, but its a practically dead division. I have bull barrel 45 that would be nice to shoot occasionally, legally. I'm betting there's a bunch of milled-slide or bull-barreled safe queens that other people would bring to matches too if they could.  

Before you write "But, tradition!", look around you at the next USPSA match and tell me how important tradition is.  We are out there to shoot fast and have fun, that's it.    

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've shot a lot of single stack over the years, I don't have an issue with any of those changes. That said, I don't think that or anything else is going to save single stack. Low cap is pretty much dead

Unfortunately I don’t think making those changes will boost the number of SS shooters in any meaningful way.  I love SS and I plan to shoot it again in the future.  Maybe if L10 dies that might help SS.  

People just dont like to reload  and the way match results are displayed as one huge group everybody like to see there name at the top,  I have zero issue with a bull barrel and using .45acp, but its limited for me with the big mags........  now if they said lo cap and .45 you get more points etc  another story, maybe that should be looked into IDK

Edited by Sinister4

As an owner of an Akai single stack... I agree - since the division has such low participation, why not lower the barriers a little? But the flip side of it is, does it need to be changed at all, with participation so low? Haha.

Personally I think the current weight and dimension limits are fine, and they should just do away with the bushing and slide restrictions.

1 hour ago, motosapiens said:

or just get rid of SS and let them buy 10 round mags. (i already have mine)

I would be fine with this too. Or like I've stated a million times rolling single stack, production, l10, and revolver all into the same division and have eight rounds of major,  10 of minor. But I'm not overly worked up about any of it LOL. Half the time I shoot my single stack gun I use 10 rounders and just shoot limited.

Agreed.  I like SS and think some of the mod rules are too strict, but don't see this helping any, at the cost of making the vast majority of existing 1911 pistols obsolete, because no matter what reality is, everyone without a bull-barreled slide-milled heavyweight IPSC-style monster will feel disadvantaged.

IPSC allows bull barrels and as much weight as you can cram into the box, yet there's still minimal participation in the division.  It is what it is, it appeals to a limited number of people.

FWIW, I've heard "it would bring out all of these ..... in safes that would come out to play" many times for many different guns, but it never really happens. 

It's already dead.  With Limited and Open not too far behind.  Couple more years and it'll be 90+% Carry Optics.  From there, maybe they'll go to a division that's basically an obstacle course with a toy gun, so as to attract more people.

Edited by ltdmstr

19 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

It's already dead.  With Limited and Open not too far behind.  Couple more years and it'll be 90+% Carry Optics.  From there, maybe they'll go to a division that's basically an obstacle course with a toy gun, so as to attract more people.

Maybe they could use a cap gun...

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

What makes you think open and limited are not far behind.          CO, open, limited followed by pcc at majors is what I always see.     Area 6 had 159 CO shooters with 107 open shooters.    Limited and pcc numbers were kinda small (in the 50s) but compared to single stack production and revo it was fairly large and considering no optic in limited it’s understandable and for Pcc, well who really wants to shoot a rifle at a pistol match anyway lol. 

24 minutes ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

What makes you think open and limited are not far behind.

Going to a LII tomorrow and breakdown looks like this.  Way more CO than Open and Limited combined.  Others LIIs have an even wider spread than that.  And LIs typically have even more.  Some LIs are 70+% CO.

Division
Limited 24
Limited 10 3
Open 36
Production 15
Revolver 0
Single Stack 8
Carry Optics 71
Pcc 19

3 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Going to a LII tomorrow and breakdown looks like this.  Way more CO than Open and Limited combined.  Others LIIs have an even wider spread than that.  And LIs typically have even more.  Some LIs are 70+% CO.

Division
Limited 24
Limited 10 3
Open 36
Production 15
Revolver 0
Single Stack 8
Carry Optics 71
Pcc 19

At the Mississippi classic (the level 2 I’m hosting)  I’ve got almost 200 people registered with 67 in CO 44 in open and 30 something in limited.      Of course CO is going to be the largest division because of price to play and rules.    But open won’t ever die like single stack production or Revo.    Low cap is dying because it’s low cap.   CO is a division where anyone can get into it for a very nice price point and have high cap    I don’t think limited will die either (not like the other low cap divisions).  Some people just don’t like red dots.  Limited gives them a place to play and have high capacity.  

11 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Division
Limited 24
Limited 10 3
Open 36
Production 15
Revolver 0
Single Stack 8
Carry Optics 71
Pcc 19

Also I’ll add that’s the largest spread I’ve ever seen from CO to open.   Area matches that I went on just recently. Alabama sectional.  71 in CO. 48 in open. 

14 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Division
Limited 24
Limited 10 3
Open 36
Production 15
Revolver 0
Single Stack 8
Carry Optics 71
Pcc 19

Dragons cup this year.  

E24496A9-A0F5-4517-8CD1-D5E042BA66C2.jpeg

20 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Division
Limited 24
Limited 10 3
Open 36
Production 15
Revolver 0
Single Stack 8
Carry Optics 71
Pcc 19

Area 1 this year coming up in a month…

D16831C4-BCA4-46E8-960A-07DAD80CF58C.jpeg