Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS restrictions, the hill the division will die on?

obsessiveshooter

My vote would be do away with L10 and go with only major 8 round single stack. 

Is an 8 round major caliber revolver currently being made? If so, I would consider rolling them into that group as well. Would be fun to see single stack and revolvers competing against one another. My bet is, some revolver shooters would beat a bunch of single stack shooters. 

It would be interesting to have a single stack Optics Division as well.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, cbrussell said:

My vote would be do away with L10 and go with only major 8 round single stack. 

Is an 8 round major caliber revolver currently being made? If so, I would consider rolling them into that group as well. Would be fun to see single stack and revolvers competing against one another. My bet is, some revolver shooters would beat a bunch of single stack shooters. 

It would be interesting to have a single stack Optics Division as well.

I meant to add that I am in favor of eliminating Single Stack equipment restrictions as per the OP.

While we're at it, let's open it up to all single stack magazine pistols. I know a lot of people (myself included) would have fun trolling locals with a $100 bill hydro dipped Hi-Point.

Hi Point C9 9mm with Hundred Dollar ($100) Bill Finish | Sportsman's  Outdoor Superstore

On 5/4/2022 at 3:11 PM, regor said:

While we're at it, let's open it up to all single stack magazine pistols. I know a lot of people (myself included) would have fun trolling locals with a $100 bill hydro dipped Hi-Point.

Hi Point C9 9mm with Hundred Dollar ($100) Bill Finish | Sportsman's  Outdoor Superstore

Yeah, it could be the "high point" of their lives.... lol you're a sick man. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2022 at 1:11 PM, regor said:

Well, bad news, I spoke to Jodi at the Inland Empire sectional and she said that there is too much history involved in Single Stack division and Hi-Points won't be allowed to play :(

I shot my single stack gun this weekend, had forgotten how much fun it is. I even shot it with 10 round mags in limited because nobody shoots single stack, and it was still fun. I do think at the next match when I shoot it I'm going to just go with the eight rounders, even if I still shoot it in limited

While I do not have a high power and probably will not ever get a high power, I see zero harm letting them  shoot in single stack, and kind of wish they would allow it

8 hours ago, regor said:

Well, bad news, I spoke to Jodi at the Inland Empire sectional and she said that there is too much history involved in Single Stack division and Hi-Points won't be allowed to play :(

that is too bad. There were only five people in single stack at that match.  adding a few handfuls of High Points might have been enough to have a second place trophy.

On 4/22/2022 at 7:32 AM, Sinister4 said:

People just dont like to reload  and the way match results are displayed as one huge group everybody like to see there name at the top,  I have zero issue with a bull barrel and using .45acp, but its limited for me with the big mags........  now if they said lo cap and .45 you get more points etc  another story, maybe that should be looked into IDK

So, you think USPSA become handicapped thing?

Edited by usmc1974

I don't shoot SS and likely never will. However I understand the purists who enjoy them and their desire not to allow additional modifications of the division. 

I really dislike the desires expressed so often to change the division rules to allow guns that some people have or mods they would like. Pick a division and shoot it. 

7 hours ago, Brooke said:

I don't shoot SS and likely never will. However I understand the purists who enjoy them and their desire not to allow additional modifications of the division. 

I really dislike the desires expressed so often to change the division rules to allow guns that some people have or mods they would like. Pick a division and shoot it. 

But then we wouldn't have multiple 20 page threads about how everything should change to make somebody happy.

10 minutes ago, ddc said:

But then we wouldn't have multiple 20 page threads about how everything should change to make somebody happy.

Everything already changed to make everyone happy.  Once dots were allowed outside of open, that was the beginning of the end.

5 minutes ago, BritinUSA said:

Dots outside of Open (ie. Production Optics) made perfect sense as it filled a hole in the line-up, it all fell apart when USPSA kept changing the ruleset… IPSC has it right, USPSA went off the deep end.

Maybe to you.  I think the "no dots outside of open" rule should have been so burned into the rules that it should have been like an untouchable, third-rail sort of thing that never should have even been considered.  We now have simultaneously created an arms race AND killed the classic things that made divisions worth having in the first place.  My view is never going to be adopted but I am shocked at how far astray we have gone.  I would have never guessed that something like this would have ever even been seriously discussed at all, especially not before there was a significant segment of people experimenting in Open with that kind of equipment before it got its own place to play.

Edited by twodownzero

58 minutes ago, twodownzero said:

Maybe to you.  I think the "no dots outside of open" rule should have been so burned into the rules that it should have been like an untouchable, third-rail sort of thing that never should have even been considered.  We now have simultaneously created an arms race AND killed the classic things that made divisions worth having in the first place.  My view is never going to be adopted but I am shocked at how far astray we have gone.  I would have never guessed that something like this would have ever even been seriously discussed at all, especially not before there was a significant segment of people experimenting in Open with that kind of equipment before it got its own place to play.

In fifty years when our guns are auto-stabilized and the optic automatically aligns the gun with the target people are going to bitch about how the classic CO division is dying.

2 hours ago, twodownzero said:

We now have simultaneously created an arms race AND killed the classic things that made divisions worth having in the first place. 

The original concept of Production Optics would not have triggered any kind of arms race. The BOD messed around with the concept and that is what has lead to this mess. 

I’ve said it before, there should be a balance between the division rules.

Each division should have its pro’s and con’s. USPSA created one division that ticked all the boxes for a significant number of people. That is why the division is over-running everything else, and why eventually there will be a single division in USPSA and all choice will be gone.

They took a short-sighted view in order to grow the revenue.

I don’t think IPSC is seeing these issues, they used the same rules as Production but with a dot.

4 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

The original concept of Production Optics would not have triggered any kind of arms race. The BOD messed around with the concept and that is what has lead to this mess. 

I’ve said it before, there should be a balance between the division rules.

Each division should have its pro’s and con’s. USPSA created one division that ticked all the boxes for a significant number of people. That is why the division is over-running everything else, and why eventually there will be a single division in USPSA and all choice will be gone.

They took a short-sighted view in order to grow the revenue.

I don’t think IPSC is seeing these issues, they used the same rules as Production but with a dot.

From reading your other posts, we agree on most of it.  I don't agree with dots outside of open, but if we had to, having another low cap division instead of making welfare open would have been far superior to what we got.

I have a suspicion that someday soon, I'll be forced to get a carry optics gun or stay home.  I hate to say it, but I very well may stay home.  If Limited and Open really are dead and it's just all rifles and welfare open, the game is done.

8 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Dots outside of Open (ie. Production Optics) made perfect sense as it filled a hole in the line-up, it all fell apart when USPSA kept changing the ruleset… IPSC has it right, USPSA went off the deep end.

it takes a special kind of narcissism to describe the most popular division as something that ‘fell apart’.

2 hours ago, twodownzero said:

From reading your other posts, we agree on most of it.  I don't agree with dots outside of open, but if we had to, having another low cap division instead of making welfare open would have been far superior to what we got.

I have a suspicion that someday soon, I'll be forced to get a carry optics gun or stay home.  I hate to say it, but I very well may stay home.  If Limited and Open really are dead and it's just all rifles and welfare open, the game is done.

This guy gets it…

12 hours ago, motosapiens said:

it takes a special kind of narcissism to describe the most popular division as something that ‘fell apart’.

And to seek out every thread about it to complain

i just spent the last 3 days with a few hundred people who actually shoot uspsa, and we had hella fun. leaving production this year out led to a pretty deep field in both ss and l10 compared to last year. i talked to alot of happy people and made plans to see them again at the wildly popular (and not broken) CO nats in september.

fwiw, i think ss is already dead as a division that people want to shoot full time, but it seems to be pretty viable as a division for classic nationals and specialty matches.

Edited by motosapiens

23 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

Again with the name calling.

no name calling, just an observation. co is by far the most popular division, among both noobs and experienced shooters. a standalone co nationals sold out instantly. i was skeptical at first, but shooters voted with their wallets, and it was clearly the right decision to allow more freedom in CO. who doesn’t like freedom?

But about Single Stack division....  Mr. Sevigny made a great comeback ánd showed that minor is very competitive in Single Stack by finishing second in the Classic Nats..   let's start that discussion again! 😁

No, just kidding... But really great that Dave did so well, and that he's back in the game. 

Nils won it, but he's not from this planet... 

Maybe it was me and my connection, but I could not find a live stream for these nationals....  Would 've been fun to see a little bit of action....