Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G21 In Idpa

Chuck D

I've had several light primer strikes on reloads with Winchester large pistol primers. I've never had a problem with federal primers or with federal or blazer factory ammo, so for now I'm just swtiching to federal primers.

Several months ago, Bruce Gray said to me, "Hey, has anyone noticed that Winchester primers don't work anymore? I'm serious." He's seen just a whole lot of people suddenly begin having misfires with Winchester primers. Has anyone else had this experience? I wonder if they've possibly made a change to the primer cup thickness or composition.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had two WSP primers in one lot of 1,000 that had NO primer mix in the cup. Still waiting on Winchester's reply as to how that could happen. One of my friends is also having problems with WLP primers in his G21. The primer has a pretty good hit on it.

I started using CCI and Federal LP primers. No problems with them. I have not had any issues with the WSP primers other than the two without mix. Seems like I went through 6 or 7 cases of them last year.

I had a bad lot of Winchester small pistol primers with the same problem Joe describes several years ago. It got to where I could spot them on the tray and cull them from each batch. I've not had that problem with their large pistol primers. I actually switched to Winchester from Federal as I find the Federals to be pretty soft and had a high number of crushed primers. A problem I haven't had at all with the Winchesters. I'll give the CCI's a shot next go around. I really hate how the cost of primers seems to have jumped in the last year.

Mayo - I changed from Fed 100s to Fed 200s a long time ago due to the softness - it was too much of a good thing. My 450 often deposits pieces of corncob media from the spent primers into the primer cup, and while it never happened, I was afraid I'd light one off when seating a primer. IME, there's only about 10-15 fps difference between the primers, so I don't think there's that much pressure difference.

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with Glock 21s in IDPA...sorry, y'all!

• 1 month later...
Hi:

Is a G21 a viable alternative to the 1911 in CDP? Interested to read others opinions, especially those that use the G21.

I'm shooting my G34 in ESP right now, but I'll be shooting my G21 in CDP. I'd prefer to use my G37, but Unka Bill says its not a real .45.

GRR

I am currently using a G21 for CDP and IMHO that this is the best CDP gun you can get for the money. BTW, I own a plethora of 45 ACP 1911's and I still believe that the G21 can’t be beat by any 1911 on the market when you look at it from a price and performance standpoint; basically you get a bigger bang for the buck.

• 3 years later...
Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I'm thinking of shooting a G21SF in CDP (They are legal in CDP right?).

Will I limited to load only 8 rounds or could I load 10 in the mag?

Thanks.

Division capacity in CDP is 8 rounds. 8+1 to start.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread but I'm thinking of shooting a G21SF in CDP (They are legal in CDP right?).

Will I limited to load only 8 rounds or could I load 10 in the mag?

Thanks.

I am thinking on this as well.... I shot CDP all of last year and barely made it to SS via match bump with my 1911. I shot SSP with my G22 this March @ LA State (1st sanctioned match in SSP) and immediately moved to EX while beating most of them. I just feel I shoot a glock better as I am more comfortable with it so I am pondering hard on the G21SF.

As Aristotle said, 8 in the mag....

Edited by CDPMatt

Don't like to jump in were I don't have direct experience but, My M&P 9L has the occasional light primer strike and have seen this often with Glocks at our club IDPA matches too. Design of the striker is about the same . Lots of back and forth on springs and keeping the assembly clean and dry all good advice.

I have used a lot of lightened and "speed locked" rifles though. Any Light fast hammer is not going to be as reliable as a big heavy one. Look at an 03 Springfield compared to a modern Remington 700 action. Speed lock that 700 with a Titanium pin and it gets primer sensitive. The Springfield even has a knob so you can cock and smack it again as you can with an exposed hammer 1911. Of course light means accurate and fast does too. It's a trade off, matches one thing, your life depending on the gun firing that's another matter.

Gave up worrying about the M&P light strikes and make sure I can clear it and rack another in fast. Striker action pistols are going to malfunction at times, it's part of the design.

Boats

Duane

I know of several pistols in our club than have the same reliability, long runs no trouble with little to no maintenance. However the owners usually run the same ammo all the time quality factory or well hand loaded cartridges keep it clean and don't fool around with the springs. Last Classifier while I was running the clipboard I saw 2 Glocks and 1 M&P fail to fire, all with gun show or Wal-mart cheap 9's

My thought and opinion is the design of Glock and M&P light striker pistols is good given good ammo. They are not heavy hitters and with some ammo or if the striker is gummed & dirty are going to fail to ignite primers. Considering the vast variety of 9 MM ammo out there some cartridges are going to give trouble. Probably why you don't see striker action pistols in Military use but do in more controlled situations like Police work. That's just me looking at the striker design compared to a 1911 or Beretta hammer. My M&P rack it put another in and don't worry about it.

Boats

A shooting friend of mine bought a case of Wolf .45's for his Glock 30. I got to follow him around the match picking up the unfired rounds he had to eject because either the primers were hard or his stock G30 just wouldn't hit 'em hard enough. My Colt fired them just fine. This wouldn't stop me from using a G21 in IDPA if I were so inclined. The two things that keep me from shooting a Glock are 1) tried it, don't shoot them well and 2) can't use lead bullets, unless you get a after market barrel.

I have shot my 21SF in CDP.. helped me get bumped to Expert recently. Great, accurate, reliable gun. I love 1911s... but I've been jinxed with 1911 problems so I tried out the 21SF. Only thing I had an issue with was it spits empties in my face... more so when it was new. It really does like hot loads. When I got to about 180PF problems went away for the most part.

I love my 21SF. I bought one recently, and went to an IDPA classifier having never shot it. I shot a nice solid CDP expert score right out of the box, not ever having shot that gun or shooting anything but 9mm for about a year. There is no reason that Glock couldn't be competitive with 1911's.

My thought and opinion is the design of Glock and M&P light striker pistols is good given good ammo. They are not heavy hitters and with some ammo or if the striker is gummed & dirty are going to fail to ignite primers. Considering the vast variety of 9 MM ammo out there some cartridges are going to give trouble. Probably why you don't see striker action pistols in Military use but do in more controlled situations like Police work.

Wasn't the Glock originally designed as a military pistol? Every contractor I've talked to after they've come back from the Sandbox has told me that, right off the bat, they were issued an M4 and a Glock 19.

I know of several pistols in our club than have the same reliability, long runs no trouble with little to no maintenance. However the owners usually run the same ammo all the time quality factory or well hand loaded cartridges keep it clean and don't fool around with the springs.

I agree on the need to use good ammo if you're going to lighten the striker spring as part of a tuned action. I keep the really hard primered stuff, Wolf, S&B, even Winchester white box, out of my guns. I used Federal instead of Winchester primers in my handloads. There's no doubt in my mind that's a huge factor in my guns' reliability level. Having said that, I will also say that I've run the VAST majority of that 35k through my G34 using either a Wolff reduced power striker spring or a Tom Novak or Dale Rhea trigger pull kit with lightened striker spring, and as far as keeping the gun clean being necessary for ignition reliability in a Glock so outfitted, honestly that hasn't been my experience. I probably go longer between gun cleanings than anyone I know. My most recent Glock 17 has around 16k though it, and I think I've cleaned the gun....once?

My most recent Glock 17 has around 16k though it, and I think I've cleaned the gun....once?

That is just evil! :angry2: I'd like to see pictures of that thing! Are talking about not even giving it a wipe down here and there?

I've got a pretty nice Second-Gen 21 I might "Play With" some day...the QUESTION is, can I use it in CDP since it has had a Grip Reduction and Stippling Job? This was pre-SF, BTW...and it FEELS BETTER to me than the SF, too....mikey357