Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What oil/grease for revolver actions?

21 shooter

I’ve got a 617 and some K-frame and N-frame wheel guns (blue & stainless) with tuned actions that I’m going to clean as it’s to dang cold, wet, and muddy to shoot.   I’ve tried multiple products over the years (decades) and wanted to find out what others here use and recommend, especially for the actions.  Any advice and pointers appreciated.   I shoot Steel Challenge, IDPA, and sometimes just plain ol’ BS when a bunch of us get together.  

Over the years I have used BreakFree CLP, MPro7, oil for various types of equipment and machinery, synthetic motor oil, and various types and weights of grease .  

Just looking for something better that I might have missed.  Nowadays there is some new product coming out every week.  

I've used Break Free forever, but my new favorite is Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil. I get the 1 oz. size with needle applicator and put one drop on everything that rubs or pivots. Also have the 4 oz. size for refills of the 1 oz. You can find it on Amazon.

Especially if it's cold out you can also use Rem Oil.  I usually just add some Rem Oil through the hammer opening every so often without removing the side plate.

All of the above will work though, some use Mobil Synthetic Oil too.

13 hours ago, PatJones said:

I really like Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil. With the side plate off, one drop on each of the pivot pins and one drop on the rebound slide.

12 hours ago, Toolguy said:

I've used Break Free forever, but my new favorite is Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil. I get the 1 oz. size with needle applicator and put one drop on everything that rubs or pivots. Also have the 4 oz. size for refills of the 1 oz. You can find it on Amazon.

Good suggestions and Lucas makes some good products.  I like having a needle applicator to help get oil where I want it instead of just in the general area.   Their gun cleaner is supposed to be good but I haven’t found it locally yet.  As always it seems the folks here on BE are very knowledgeable and helpful, and all help is appreciated.  

On 2/14/2022 at 10:12 AM, Toolguy said:

Lucas is great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Revolver actions require very little lubricant....if any at all.  

Don't put any type of grease in there....especially if you shoot in colder climates.  Only the Arizona shooters can get away with using that stuff! 😀

14 hours ago, Carmoney said:

Revolver actions require very little lubricant....if any at all.  

Don't put any type of grease in there....especially if you shoot in colder climates.  Only the Arizona shooters can get away with using that stuff! 😀

Dab of Mobil 1 Synthetic maybe?