Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Delta 124 v1 vs v2

mundoo

Just received 1K of the PD Version 1.  They look good.  Getting ready to measure/weigh a few for consistency.

For you shooters that have plenty of experience with the PDs, will they load/run toe-to-toe with the Zero JHPs?

Thanks for any details!

👍

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Just received 1K of the PD Version 1.  They look good.  Getting ready to measure/weigh a few for consistency.

For you shooters that have plenty of experience with the PDs, will they load/run toe-to-toe with the Zero JHPs?

Thanks for any details!

👍

PD 115 JHP’s run perfectly in my open guns. 

16 minutes ago, HOGRIDER said:

Thanks for any details!

👍

I feel they are as good as Zero as well as Montana Gold.  Have had no complaints with V1,  haven’t tried V2 yet…

8 hours ago, lroy said:

Maybe I'm a moron, but I've been having a lot of issues with the v2 and my bullet dropper. Been adjusting it for a bit and can't seem to get it to run as well as the v1 due to the profile.

Ive had to make adjustment to my MBF when going from The V1 cone shape to other RN profile Bullets in the past.  Another reason why I prefer to stick with V1 profile.  I’m sure there is a happy mid set up that would work just saw a few upside down I don’t see with the PD V1.

It did require a little tinkering to get the Mr. Bullet Feeder to drop the V.2’s at %100 but wasn’t bad.  I’ve got mine on a post by itself so I can pull it down to make adjustments on it easily.  Instead of trying to reach over the press and make little adjustments.  

• 2 weeks later...

All I’ve ever used for my open gun is precision  Delta 124jhp v1     I’ve loaded over 15 thousand of these in the last year and had no issues with feeding.   They are extremely consistent in weight and diameter.  Boringly consistent almost.   I cannot recommend the v1 124 jhp enough.  The profile allows to load long for my open gun at 1.170 

I shot a match yesterday with 124 V2's in my CZ TSO and My Ruger PCC. OAL was 1.140 and they functioned flawlessly. Took 1st with TSO and 3rd with PCC, this is only the second time I shot my PCC last match I shot it was two years ago. I bought 4K V2's  and shot 1K so far in the past month. I've shot over 50K V1's and I'm sticking with V2's. At 25 yards the accuracy is the same, haven't tested to 50 yards since I don't shoot bullseye competition and not wasting primers right now.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:07 PM, AHI said:

Loose jackets. weigh variations. Like less than 90 gr to slightly over . By now I would hope the issue has been fixed. Haven't opened the replacements. To see. Just don't have time .

Did you inform PD of these issues? When did you encounter them? 

If anything, the new design is (on average) held to a tighter weight tolerance than the "original" due to the equipment and techniques used to manufacture them. Generally speaking, I think most will find that PD holds one of the tightest weight tolerances in the industry. I am only aware of one report of weight issues on the new design since their release, and it was in one of the very first runs of these projectiles.  It was due to what we call "short cores" and was an isolated operator error, and not a manufacturing variance.  To my knowledge, based on investigation, it was isolated to a couple of boxes of bullets. 

There have been no other quality issues of note regarding the new design.... And if there has been, they were not reported to PD. 

20 hours ago, Ssanders224 said:

Did you inform PD of these issues? When did you encounter them? 

If anything, the new design is (on average) held to a tighter weight tolerance than the "original" due to the equipment and techniques used to manufacture them. Generally speaking, I think most will find that PD holds one of the tightest weight tolerances in the industry. I am only aware of one report of weight issues on the new design since their release, and it was in one of the very first runs of these projectiles.  It was due to what we call "short cores" and was an isolated operator error, and not a manufacturing variance.  To my knowledge, based on investigation, it was isolated to a couple of boxes of bullets. 

There have been no other quality issues of note regarding the new design.... And if there has been, they were not reported to PD. 

reported , returned, replaced , before they were available to the general public. 

Edited by AHI

2 hours ago, AHI said:

reported , returned, replaced , before they were available to the general public. 

Well there ya go. You are most likely the case I am referring to then. 

Since their "release" I don't believe there have been any reported quality issues or returns. 

I’m curious what the v2 was designed for exactly.      I like the v1 because of the profile.  It allows me to load longer for my open guns and they have treated me great.  I wouldn’t use any other projectiles unless I just had to. I’m sure theirs a reason behind the v2 design but I can’t think of it.    The profile of it would make me have to load shorter oal I would imagine.      

Edited by OpenshooterAclass4lyfe

Solely from my experience, dealing with stock guns with stock barrels, truncated cone bullets have generally loaded shorter than a more traditional round nose.  I’m guessing PD designed the V.2 for the stock pistol crowd.  Not to make the open class guys rethink their bullet choices.  If you’ve got a winner with their V.1 then it’s a non issue, stick with it.  No need whatsoever to tinker.  

But for guys that wanted a more traditional profile for whatever reason, now they have that option.  And it’s a pretty dang good one, from one of the best names going.  

I’m guessing PD didn’t release the V.2 to diminish the V.1’s reputation or sales in any capacity.  They released the V.2 to get their share of the market that was seeking a competition quality bullet in a more traditional profile.  Smart business makes for good business in my book.  

8 minutes ago, 1911in9mm said:

Solely from my experience, dealing with stock guns with stock barrels, truncated cone bullets have generally loaded shorter than a more traditional round nose.  I’m guessing PD designed the V.2 for the stock pistol crowd.  Not to make the open class guys rethink their bullet choices.  If you’ve got a winner with their V.1 then it’s a non issue, stick with it.  No need whatsoever to tinker.  

But for guys that wanted a more traditional profile for whatever reason, now they have that option.  And it’s a pretty dang good one, from one of the best names going.  

I’m guessing PD didn’t release the V.2 to diminish the V.1’s reputation or sales in any capacity.  They released the V.2 to get their share of the market that was seeking a competition quality bullet in a more traditional profile.  Smart business makes for good business in my book.  

I guess that makes sense.   I never loaded a lot of truncated bullets for my stock guns so I wouldn’t know much about that.       PD makes some of the best ones around as far as I’m concerned.   I wouldn’t ever use anything else in my open guns. 

1 hour ago, OpenshooterAclass4lyfe said:

I’m curious what the v2 was designed for exactly.

The profile of the nose is definitely different.  The V2 is more rounded much like RMR JHP.  This leads to better feed for my PCC.  PCCs tend to have a minimal feed ramp, if you can call it a feed ramp at all.  V1 did not like my PCC, the V2 feed much better.  It might allow for shorter OAL without feed issues for various platforms.  Maybe @Ssanders224 might have some insight.  

Zero also released a 125 JHP Conical to go along with their tried and true 125 JHP.  Appears Precision Delta and others are also going down that route to offer a JHP and a "conical" version.

"New" Conical:  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R136-A&Category_Code=ZBJ-9MM

Original JHP:  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R162-A&Category_Code=ZBJ-9MM

I'm definitely liking these PD V1s in 124!  Not sure I'd be interested in trying the V2s, but I'm sure they'll also have a following!

https://www.precisiondelta.com/compare/124/250

1 hour ago, HOGRIDER said:

Zero also released a 125 JHP Conical to go along with their tried and true 125 JHP.  Appears Precision Delta and others are also going down that route to offer a JHP and a "conical" version.

"New" Conical:  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R136-A&Category_Code=ZBJ-9MM

Original JHP:  http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R162-A&Category_Code=ZBJ-9MM

I'm definitely liking these PD V1s in 124!  Not sure I'd be interested in trying the V2s, but I'm sure they'll also have a following!

https://www.precisiondelta.com/compare/124/250

I’m curious about the v2s.  I love the v1s for my open guns.    I just wonder how these are better or if they’re better.    I’m also curious if I could keep my original oal.  I’d wager I would have to go a little shorter.   Perhaps these were made more for 38 super comp folks. 

They seat shorter if you don't change your  seating adjustment. 

There purpose is to feed better in a PCC.

Three guys I load ammo for have went back to V1. It's in there heads but they claim that the V2 recoil impulse is slower. 

They buy the bullets. I just load them up. 

The new design is, for all intents and purposes, an FMJ with no exposed lead base, and the tip of the nose clipped off. It will not perform well terminally (and is not designed to).  It is an "everything you need, nothing you don't" approach to competitive/recreational projectiles. The "legacy" 9mm JHP requires extra tooling/processes during the manufacturing process due to how the jacket is drawn and skived, and it gets a slightly thicker jacket material to aid in terminal performance.  The new design is also manufactured on more efficient equipment. Due to all of this, at some point when things normalize a little, the new design will offer a more attractive price point to competitors and recreational shooters that need an accurate JHP, but don't need the other features of our "legacy" design. 

You'd also be surprised how many people have guns that don't like to feed conical, flat nosed projectiles. It's a common complaint, especially with PCC's these days. The new design is "at home" in 38SC and standard 9mm, but we have a ton of 9mm Major shooters using them as well. 

My standard answer is.... If you are currently using and like the "legacy" JHP, there is probably no reason to experiment with the new design (although we have seen many customers make the switch). However, if you are setting up a new Open gun, PCC, etc. and want to use a JHP, I'd recommend starting with the new design. In the future, when we can open up the delta in price between the two options, the new design will become more attractive as well.

Ultimately, every gun/shooter is different, and customers having more options is a good thing.