Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to clean 625 moon clips?

21 shooter

I’m sure there is a thread for this but I couldn’t find it.  I have a lot of moon clips that really need to be cleaned.  I have a F.A.R.T. tumbler and Dillon tumblers with corn cob media as well as walnut.  I don’t want to damage them but I also don’t want to clean them one at a time.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  
And it’s just to dang cold to shoot right now!

15 minutes ago, 21 shooter said:

I’m sure there is a thread for this but I couldn’t find it.  I have a lot of moon clips that really need to be cleaned.  I have a F.A.R.T. tumbler and Dillon tumblers with corn cob media as well as walnut.  I don’t want to damage them but I also don’t want to clean them one at a time.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  
And it’s just to dang cold to shoot right now!

21S: 

Why not take a couple you know are about to give up the ghost and toss them into one of the tumblers for a few minutes and see?  At worse I can see some finish being removed and you having to wipe them off to remove the dust.  Easier than CLP and a rag.  

8 minutes ago, EEH said:

Throw them in the tumbler. Wipe all dirt off and load. Did that for 10 years .

So you're saying to toss them in a tumbler without a care in the world, tumble them, wipe them down, and then use them?

Yeah, that works for me too :)

48 minutes ago, gargoil66 said:

21S: 

Why not take a couple you know are about to give up the ghost and toss them into one of the tumblers for a few minutes and see?  At worse I can see some finish being removed and you having to wipe them off to remove the dust.  Easier than CLP and a rag.  

CLP and a rag or toothbrush is as appealing as watching grass grow.  LOL!

9 hours ago, 21 shooter said:

CLP and a rag or toothbrush is as appealing as watching grass grow.  LOL!

Yo -- 21. 

Toothbrush too?  A bit OCD about clean moon clips, you say?  He, he.

They do get nasty after a while, that much is true.  Kind of surprising how much gummy crap can stick to them.

Into the tumbler for fifteen minutes or so, then maybe rinse off with hot water and let dry. 

Zip tie like VV said is a really good idea.  

GG

Yep, de-moon the clips and throw them into a tumbler, I like corn cob media as there's not much dust, use some Brasso or other polisher.  Doesn't matter if you have cases in the tumbler or not, though separating them out is easier without cases.

Won't hurt them at all.

13 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

21S: 

13 hours ago, EEH said:

Throw them in the tumbler. Wipe all dirt off and load. Did that for 10 years .

10 hours ago, vvshooter said:

I run a zip tie through the middle of them. Then throw them in the tumbler.

2 hours ago, gargoil66 said:

Yo -- 21. 

Toothbrush too?  A bit OCD about clean moon clips, you say?  He, he.

They do get nasty after a while, that much is true.  Kind of surprising how much gummy crap can stick to them.

Into the tumbler for fifteen minutes or so, then maybe rinse off with hot water and let dry. 

Zip tie like VV said is a really good idea.  

GG

41 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Yep, de-moon the clips and throw them into a tumbler, I like corn cob media as there's not much dust, use some Brasso or other polisher.  Doesn't matter if you have cases in the tumbler or not, though separating them out is easier without cases.

Won't hurt them at all.

Do we sense a theme here? Probably because it just plain works and is so much easier than cleaning by hand.

Who cleans their moon clips. I can’t recall ever tumbling, wiping or cleaning of any type of my moon clips in the 30 years I have been using moon clips. Maybe they clean themselves rubbing on themselves in the bottle I carry them in. 

I guess, I am the odd guy out on this. I lay my moon clips out on a paper towel and spray them with pledge. Then wipe them with a paper towel.  The clips have a coating of pledge on them so anything from firing is on the pledge when I clean them again. I do the same thing to my motorcycle for bug removal. 😟

I put some in the tumbler for a couple of hours and they were better than they were before.  

I put some in the Franklin steel pin tumbler and now they are nice, shiny, and clean.  Whatever the black coating was is gone so I may hit them with a shot of G96 or something just to be safe. 

22 hours ago, ysrracer said:

I've even tumbled them still loaded with empty brass.

Comes out fine.

Not really depending on media the kernels of corn cob media will work their way into the extractor groove/moon clip.  Once that is done it is a very hard pain to separate them.

1 hour ago, pskys2 said:

Not really depending on media the kernels of corn cob media will work their way into the extractor groove/moon clip.  Once that is done it is a very hard pain to separate them.

I tumble in walnut media, and haven't experienced that. I did it once just to see if it would work.

I've got a thousand .38 short colt cases, and 30 moon clips. I try to fire all 1000 cases, then reload.

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I tumble with corn cob media all the time and have never had that problem. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2022 at 10:30 AM, pskys2 said:

I stand corrected!!

While I've cleand in the past this way and never experienced what psky2 described, I did this morning taking some out of the tumbler. Was a real PITA so in the future I'll demoon first and like vvshooter suggested and zip tie the moonclips or throw them with the brass and see how that does.