Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Guns 2022

LmtdOne

Okay, so I am looking at getting another open gun. I know this is an overdone topic but after scrolling to page 22 and reading all relevant articles I have decided to ask the age old question: If you were in the market for an open gun today, who would you be looking at? I will just say that I do not have the time, patience, or equipment to build my own so that is off the table. I currently own Infinity and Akai Limited guns as well as some others. I am making the switch to Open at least for the season. I really like Infinity guns, just trying to decide if I want to spend Infinity money on an open gun. What are your opinions out there? 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Venom, Rafferty, Bedell, Brazos, McLearn, EMG, Infinity are all very good. They gave differing time lines depending on your patience level. They will all run very well.

I know a shorter turn around would be a Brazos Custom with a cheeley grip. I bought the fitted short block kit last year and finished it up with internals, grip and sights. It ran great all last year and it still going strong. He has many years in the game. I may get another kit but already have a Bedell as well

Talk to Matt at Cheely Custom and Bob at Brazos Custom.  They are the only two I would currently buy an Open gun from.  Infinity guns are nice, but too much $$$ IMO.  BTW, I do build my own 1911/2011 guns.  The last go round I needed a backup gun quickly.  I ordered a Brazos Custom Barreled Open Short Block.  I got it a couple of days later and had the gun finished in one afternoon.  His SB was every bit as good as the one I built myself from scratch.

10 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

Venom, Rafferty, Bedell, Brazos, McLearn, EMG, Infinity are all very good. They gave differing time lines depending on your patience level. They will all run very well.

I know a shorter turn around would be a Brazos Custom with a cheeley grip. I bought the fitted short block kit last year and finished it up with internals, grip and sights. It ran great all last year and it still going strong. He has many years in the game. I may get another kit but already have a Bedell as well

I keep seeing people speak highly of Venom Customs guns. I have not personally seen one at a match or at least recognized one for a Venom Custom gun. I have to admit, I am a bit of vanity snob when it comes to guns. I weigh looks and function fairly closely. With that being said I have really liked the pictures I have seen of the Venom builds.

10 minutes ago, zzt said:

Talk to Matt at Cheely Custom and Bob at Brazos Custom.  They are the only two I would currently buy an Open gun from.  Infinity guns are nice, but too much $$$ IMO.  BTW, I do build my own 1911/2011 guns.  The last go round I needed a backup gun quickly.  I ordered a Brazos Custom Barreled Open Short Block.  I got it a couple of days later and had the gun finished in one afternoon.  His SB was every bit as good as the one I built myself from scratch.

I currently have a CK as my only open gun now. I really like the gun but my only gripe is it is not as pretty as I like my guns to be. As far as function goes, after some tuning, (I bought the gun used) it now runs great. I believe I want my next gun to be more of a looker.

27 minutes ago, LmtdOne said:

I currently have a CK as my only open gun now. I really like the gun but my only gripe is it is not as pretty as I like my guns to be. As far as function goes, after some tuning, (I bought the gun used) it now runs great. I believe I want my next gun to be more of a looker.

Not a problem.  BTW, a Cheely Custom gun is considerably better built than the CK.  The CK is a nice gun, but built to a lower price point.  That involved some compromises.   I'm not 100% certain that Matt will build a complete Open gun anymore.  You should talk to him.  If yes, both he and Bob will build you an Open gun with a bald Unique slide and no engraving.  You can then send everything to Gans or someone similar to have any slide lightening/engraving/etc. done that you want.  That is exactly what I did when I built my 2011 USPSA Open and 1911 SCSA Open gun pair.  I sent them to Gans for identical treatment.

4 hours ago, LmtdOne said:

I keep seeing people speak highly of Venom Customs guns. I have not personally seen one at a match or at least recognized one for a Venom Custom gun. I have to admit, I am a bit of vanity snob when it comes to guns. I weigh looks and function fairly closely. With that being said I have really liked the pictures I have seen of the Venom builds.

Just get another SVI 

5 hours ago, LmtdOne said:

My buddies venoms

Screenshot_20220126-195753_Instagram.jpg

8 hours ago, LmtdOne said:

I have a Venom 38sc open gun.  It’s not only beautiful, but it runs like a raped ape.  

7 hours ago, Explosiveo said:

I think that lead times will be your issue. If your looking at having it this season. A lot of builders are 8-12+ months out. I have ANOTHER Rafferty on order. Usually a 9 month lead time. But worth the wait.

It is what it is. People with the skills to make these guns are in high demand, as they should be. I will just have to fill that "new gun" hole with factory guns while I endure the wait.

28 minutes ago, LmtdOne said:

It is what it is. People with the skills to make these guns are in high demand, as they should be. I will just have to fill that "new gun" hole with factory guns while I endure the wait.

It's the off season.  Since you want a prettier gun, consider sending off the slide and frame to Gans for some work.  He has a lot of pictures with pricing on the web sight.  His turnaround for lightening, etc. is generally two weeks.  Then you can shoot a prettier gun now.  It will become your backup once the full custom gun arrives.

This will also give you a little more time to do research.  I gave you two firms because I know first hand how good their guns are.  You've received recommendations for several other well known smiths.  I haven't handled their guns, so I can't comment.   Talk to several of them.  Try other guns to see what you like and don't.  I've never heard anyone turn down a request to try their gun, especially if you offer to pay for ammo.  I went through three different Open guns before I decided on exactly what I wanted.  So I built them and am 100% satisfied.  I would have had the first one built, but at the time I was quoted 12+ months lead time.

Edited by zzt

30 minutes ago, zzt said:

It's the off season.  Since you want a prettier gun, consider sending off the slide and frame to Gans for some work.  He has a lot of pictures with pricing on the web sight.  His turnaround for lightening, etc. is generally two weeks.  Then you can shoot a prettier gun now.  It will become your backup once the full custom gun arrives.

This will also give you a little more time to do research.  I gave you two firms because I know first hand how good their guns are.  You've received recommendations for several other well known smiths.  I haven't handled their guns, so I can't comment.   Talk to several of them.  Try other guns to see what you like and don't.  I've never heard anyone turn down a request to try their gun, especially if you offer to pay for ammo.  I went through three different Open guns before I decided on exactly what I wanted.  So I built them and am 100% satisfied.  I would have had the first one built, but at the time I was quoted 12+ months lead time.

I appreciate all the information. I have heard quite a bit about Gans Guns as well so I bet you are on the right track there as well. Your idea of sending my CK in for work is not a bad idea but then I would be without an open gun in the meantime so I will probably have to hold off on something like that until I have another open gun, a vicious circle I know. In the end, I will be no less or more competitive with a fancier looking gun so I will just have to curb my desire to be cool (and spend money) and just shoot what I currently have or wait until I have a gun built. It is what it is. That's just part of the fun of competitive shooting.

I have two Venom guns, but Don has built three for me in total.  I spoke to several builders before Don, but we hit it off almost instantly.  He's a super good guy, does great work and won't screw you over with unnecessary crap.  I'm sure all of the other folks mentioned are of similar character, but I wouldn't use anyone else at this point.

1 hour ago, clw42 said:

I have two Venom guns, but Don has built three for me in total.  I spoke to several builders before Don, but we hit it off almost instantly.  He's a super good guy, does great work and won't screw you over with unnecessary crap.  I'm sure all of the other folks mentioned are of similar character, but I wouldn't use anyone else at this point.

His guns look nice, and from what I head, they run.  Contacted him recently about a Limited gun and he said he's backed up 10-12 months.  Asked if I could get on a wait list and never heard back.  Would still like to get a gun built, but not sure how to do that.

31 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

His guns look nice, and from what I head, they run.  Contacted him recently about a Limited gun and he said he's backed up 10-12 months.  Asked if I could get on a wait list and never heard back.  Would still like to get a gun built, but not sure how to do that.

I just spoke with him a minute ago. He is not currently taking on work and said the same thing, 10-12 months out. I will have to check back in the future.

I'm really not surprised.  The three gunsmiths near me that I would actually send work to are not accepting any new jobs, FOR ANYTHING.  Not even repairs.  I built my first 1911 just because I wanted to see what was involved.  It turned out super.  I built all the rest because lead times were waaaay too long.  I don't expect it to get better anytime soon.

1 hour ago, ltdmstr said:

Yes, all three of my open guns ran/run without a hitch using standard MBX mags...no feeding issues, no extraction issues, no stove piping.

That's crazy, all of my guns were built in 4-6 months, which includes time at engraving and coating.  I would contact him again, if he failed to get back in touch, I would assume it was an oversight.

12 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Yes, all three of my open guns ran/run without a hitch using standard MBX mags...no feeding issues, no extraction issues, no stove piping.

That's crazy, all of my guns were built in 4-6 months, which includes time at engraving and coating.  I would contact him again, if he failed to get back in touch, I would assume it was an oversight.

I will give it some time and try again.  Really can't blame him if he's that busy.