Open Guns 2022

LmtdOne

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Call Jeff Abernathy of Tommy Guns USA. He is in the Charlotte, NC area and will build you one. He has built a couple of opens for me. He has also done a trigger job on almost every 1911 I own, his trigger jobs are amazing. I'm sure his wait time is also one of the shortest around.

Edited by donno

I think everyone is backed up. I am waiting on an SVI, was originally quoted at 6-8 month, it will be closer to 10-12. Inflation is here, I think folks with cash to spend are looking to buy, and demand is very high right now.

On 1/26/2022 at 9:09 PM, LmtdOne said:

Theie guns look fantastic!

The pair that rnlinebacker posted are mine. I would highly recommend going with a Venom Custom. I took the plunge with one and it ran fantastic right out of the gate so I had another one built and it’s been nothing but awesome!!! I ran it for the first time in a major match and it preformed flawlessly as expected. Don’s level of customer service is on point. I would rather deal with one person instead of a company where you are just treated as another number in line. Of the many companies that are making custom guns, Venom Custom and Rafferty Custom are the top two that I would recommend. 

3F6953CE-130B-46CD-AE0E-EB3AF3C8CC61.jpeg

50 minutes ago, Corrado_kid said:

The pair that rnlinebacker posted are mine. I would highly recommend going with a Venom Custom. I took the plunge with one and it ran fantastic right out of the gate so I had another one built and it’s been nothing but awesome!!! I ran it for the first time in a major match and it preformed flawlessly as expected. Don’s level of customer service is on point. I would rather deal with one person instead of a company where you are just treated as another number in line. Of the many companies that are making custom guns, Venom Custom and Rafferty Custom are the top two that I would recommend. 

3F6953CE-130B-46CD-AE0E-EB3AF3C8CC61.jpeg

Yeah you guys had me sold on Venom Customs but unfortunately the owner is not taking new orders at this time. It is a good problem for Venom and shows that he is doing great work but it doesn't help me wanting a new open gun. I am probably just gonna grab another Infinity, could be worse.

4 hours ago, Furrly said:

LMTDONW, from personal experience you can not go wrong with SVI and all that have received positive feedback, just stay away from the company that starts with the letter A and ends with an I..

How many letters?  Is the across or Up and Down?

Nolan

Yes SV are blingy although my current build is not. They run very well and as good as or better than any other open guns I have owned. They call me at least twice a month with updates and know my name when I call them. For me I am very glad I landed there after trying many other top shelf names and after some unique and several frustrating experiences. 

On 1/26/2022 at 1:58 PM, zzt said:

Not a problem.  BTW, a Cheely Custom gun is considerably better built than the CK.  The CK is a nice gun, but built to a lower price point.  That involved some compromises.   I'm not 100% certain that Matt will build a complete Open gun anymore.  You should talk to him.  If yes, both he and Bob will build you an Open gun with a bald Unique slide and no engraving.  You can then send everything to Gans or someone similar to have any slide lightening/engraving/etc. done that you want.  That is exactly what I did when I built my 2011 USPSA Open and 1911 SCSA Open gun pair.  I sent them to Gans for identical treatment.

Last I heard when I talked to Matt, he was 100% focused on parts and parts only. Only occasionally building a gun if at all. He used to build the Match Gun for Ryan Rocks, and now that has fallen to someone else. That may have changed over the last 5-6 months since I spoke with him, so just have to ask him I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

If you don't want to wait till God knows when get in touch with Dan at D2 Customs. He builds phenomenal 2011s. He build my triple threat 2011 exactly how I wanted it. All three uppers run flawless. 40 major limited, 9 major open, 9 minor limited. 

FB_IMG_1631771452846.jpg

6 hours ago, Bakerjd said:

If you don't want to wait till God knows when get in touch with Dan at D2 Customs. He builds phenomenal 2011s. He build my triple threat 2011 exactly how I wanted it. All three uppers run flawless. 40 major limited, 9 major open, 9 minor limited. 

FB_IMG_1631771452846.jpg

That's pretty sweet!!  Very nice.

Not sure if you noticed, but the thumb rest is on the wrong side.

🤣

On 2/17/2022 at 6:34 AM, clw42 said:

🤣

Thanks! But the thumb rest is definitely on the correct side lol.

My personal gripe is money. So the czechmate is my vote. In the last 10 years open guns have almost doubled in price. The norm is 5-10k while the czechmate sits at 3100 with more accessories/backup parts than any of them. 

It all depends, prices and lead times will always be a factor.  Open is not cheap as you already know. 

Recommendations:

If you can wait:

- EMG - own one, the gun runs/smooth

- Rafferty - heard great things

- SV IMM - shot one smooth, lightweight 

- Venom - heard great things

If you are trying to get it fast:

- Atlas Chaos 2.0 - When they are in stock or see if you can get a Chaos 1.0

- PT Honcho - Based on what I heard they are pretty flat.. You can get multiple barrels 9 Maj, 38SC, 40L, 9 Min

Other options mentioned: Brazos, CZ... More affordable options. 

Matt Cheeley was my choice after some research.  My understanding, he is no making Open guns and Limited gun just when in stock.  Since the parts side of the business has picked up, he hasn't been building guns as often.  

With a little patience, you can find a good deal in the classified section a get it right away. 

Good luck! 

I talked to many of the popular builders before making up my mind.

Don at Venom was the only one who would build the rigs like I wanted them built.

Most wanted to sell me THEIR idea of an open gun.

Lots of good builders out there and everyone has different ideas of what they want.

One suggestion I would make...ask whoever you decide to go with what the break-in period is or what the break-in entails...hint...if they tell you there is one...find a new builder.

Here are the three Don built for me.

20210324_153457.jpg

20210324_153035.jpg

On 2/17/2022 at 6:34 AM, clw42 said:

🤣

the thumb rest is made here, in the free state of MASSACHUSETTS! 

33 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

the thumb rest is made here, in the free state of MASSACHUSETTS! 

Which one?

On 2/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, BigBamBoo said:

I talked to many of the popular builders before making up my mind.

Don at Venom was the only one who would build the rigs like I wanted them built.

Most wanted to sell me THEIR idea of an open gun.

Lots of good builders out there and everyone has different ideas of what they want.

One suggestion I would make...ask whoever you decide to go with what the break-in period is or what the break-in entails...hint...if they tell you there is one...find a new builder.

Here are the three Don built for me.

20210324_153457.jpg

20210324_153035.jpg

Totally agree with you!  And those are Sweet!  Do you have a preference with regards to the comp?  I see you have a three port and two, two ports presumably Binary Engineering.

7 hours ago, clw42 said:

Which one?

Totally agree with you!  And those are Sweet!  Do you have a preference with regards to the comp?  I see you have a three port and two, two ports presumably Binary Engineering.

The black and gold and the dark green and black rigs have B.E. comps and the the light green and black rig has a Atlas comp.

The Atlas comp is not as effective as the B.E. comps….by a lot.

I prefer the three port and will be building another rig using the three port. 

10 minutes ago, BigBamBoo said:

The black and gold and the dark green and black rigs have B.E. comps and the the light green and black rig has a Atlas comp.

The Atlas comp is not as effective as the B.E. comps….by a lot.

I prefer the three port and will be building another rig using the three port. 

Thanks appreciate the feedback.  I was thinking of putting a 3 port on my middy but Don talked me out of it.

21 minutes ago, clw42 said:

Thanks appreciate the feedback.  I was thinking of putting a 3 port on my middy but Don talked me out of it.

Yeah…the two port works really good, but I like the little extra the three port provides. 

The one I have the three port on is a middy. I will be having Don build me another full length rig with a three port. Why??? Just because…lol.