Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best complete setup for ~$1000?

Obvious

Alright fellas with tax season coming up I’m able to write off a lot of my school expenses and will hopefully be investing in a reloading setup so I can reload .40S&W. Keep in mind I have just about nothing right now besides some brass I’ve previously shot and some harbor freight calipers. For a grand, what press, tools, components, etc would you buy? Is that enough to get me started or should I save even more? I’m looking to get a progressive press as that seems where everyone ends up anyways.

what kind of volume are we talking about? (rounds per month/year).

How much room do you have to dedicate to reloading?

How mechanically inclined are you?

Any other calibers that you may wont to load ?

How much time do you have to load ammo?

The answers to these questions and probably a few more need answers first.

Edited by AHI

23 minutes ago, AHI said:

what kind of volume are we talking about? (rounds per month/year).

How much room do you have to dedicate to reloading?

How mechanically inclined are you?

Any other calibers that you may wont to load ?

How much time do you have to load ammo?

The answers to these questions and probably a few more need answers first.

Appreciate the clarification help! For reference in 7 months during the “bad times” of 2021, I shot around 4K rounds of factory ammo in just my competition gun in .40. I would LIKE to be up to around 10K or so a year but I just can’t afford that buying factory ammo. I could set up a small closet space or maybe a work bench for a reloading press/tools. The only other caliber I have right now is 9mm so I’d like to reload that as well, but don’t shoot nearly as much. As far as time, I could dedicate an entire day off to doing so while listening to music or something but it seems rather repetitive and I’d likely only want to do so for an hour or two at a time. As far as mechanical inclination I’d say I’m fine. In school for engineering and I tinker with my 1911, work on my own cars, built/fix my 3D printer. Probably could setup and operate/modify a press okay 

Edited by Obvious

22 minutes ago, Obvious said:

Wouldn’t that be a bit cost prohibitive for shipping? Not sure if folks often offload hefty presses here lol

They sell here quite frequently.

I would go with a 550. The press is cheaper than a 750, caliber conversions are cheaper, powder hoppers are cheaper, and they load great ammo. Drawback is reloading speed. With everything set up for 40, I can reload about 500-600 an hour on my 550 (if you don't have interruptions like a bad case, have to fill primer tubes, etc). 

So, a 550, Dillon dies, Lyman Pro 1200 tumbler, Hornady scale, and decent calipers would come in under budget, giving you either more money for components or for buying 9mm dies (9mm & 40 use the same shellplate, just different locator buttons). If you went this route, I would suggest another tool head for the 9mm dies and another powder hopper, that way when you wanted to change between 9mm & 40, it would take less than 5 minutes to change and be loading again (after the dies are set up the first time). 

The 550 is progressive, just not a full progressive. You have to manually turn the shellplate, and it is not as easy to automate things on the 550, but it will absolutely get you started and, in the future, if you decide to upgrade to a 650/750/1050/1100, you will probably get 90% of your money back for the 550.

Grumpy one posted all most word for word  what I was going to recommend.

I have either owed or used every press Dillon has. The 550 is the most dependable / reliable.

Currently have two Dillon presses a 550 and 1050.  Could go back to just the 550 tomorrow and

not miss a thing.

Edited by AHI

46 minutes ago, Obvious said:

Wouldn’t that be a bit cost prohibitive for shipping? Not sure if folks often offload hefty presses here lol

Not really. Around $30-$50 depending on distance and carrier.

I echo what AHI and Grumpyone said about the 550. I started with a 550 then bought a 650 when I decided to load 5.56. I eventually bought a Dillon 1100 mainly for the swaging capabilities and sold the 650 with a case feeder and a set of dies plus extra tool heads and parts for $1000 in the classifieds.

Im still using the 550 in loading 45acp and .308 while the 1100 is setup for 9mm and 5.56.

Edited by George16

16 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

I would go with a 550. The press is cheaper than a 750, caliber conversions are cheaper, powder hoppers are cheaper, and they load great ammo. Drawback is reloading speed. With everything set up for 40, I can reload about 500-600 an hour on my 550 (if you don't have interruptions like a bad case, have to fill primer tubes, etc). 

So, a 550, Dillon dies, Lyman Pro 1200 tumbler, Hornady scale, and decent calipers would come in under budget, giving you either more money for components or for buying 9mm dies (9mm & 40 use the same shellplate, just different locator buttons). If you went this route, I would suggest another tool head for the 9mm dies and another powder hopper, that way when you wanted to change between 9mm & 40, it would take less than 5 minutes to change and be loading again (after the dies are set up the first time). 

The 550 is progressive, just not a full progressive. You have to manually turn the shellplate, and it is not as easy to automate things on the 550, but it will absolutely get you started and, in the future, if you decide to upgrade to a 650/750/1050/1100, you will probably get 90% of your money back for the 550.

Any idea what I should be expecting to pay for a used one here? It looks like they’re around $550 new so I’m guessing $450-500?

2 minutes ago, Obvious said:

Any idea what I should be expecting to pay for a used one here? It looks like they’re around $550 new so I’m guessing $450-500?

Again, put up a WTB ad in the classifieds to see what prospective sellers will be selling the 560 for. Keep in mind, Dillon has the “No bulls#!t lifetime warranty” with the 550. If a Dillon part gets broken, give them a call and it’ll be replace free of charge.

Edited by George16

Scheel’s if you have one near you sells 550 and 750 in store, so you would not have to pay shipping fees.  They also keep a good stock of parts.  They are are a good source for reloading components when the reloading components are in stock.  If not there check locally for other similar stores that may stock Dillon. 

Components are are going to be you biggest obstacle. I see powder on shelves for a couple of days now. You can find Bullets with little issue, but primers are another story.  

Good luck on your new venture. 

10 hours ago, GrumpyOne said:

+1

Having had both the 550 and now the 650 for the last 10 years, I could recommend either one, but I would not go back to the 550 having switched, either.  The 750 is just a newer version of the 650 with the priming system upgrade that the 650 should have had in the first place, but at the end of the day, all three of them make the same ammo.  My evening time after work for loading ammo is relatively worthless to me and I shoot only a few thousand rounds a year, so I could get by with either one, but since I prefer to spend my time doing other things, I'm glad I have the 650.  I would not consider any brand other than Dillon for practical shooting type reloading, although plenty of people use other brands, I am happy with my Dillons to a degree that I would not consider anything else, even if there was a drastic price difference.  Normally I am not brand loyal; I drove a Ford for many years and there are GM products and a Ram in my driveway now.  Not so with progressive reloading equipment--it's Dillon or nothing for me.

I started reloading 2 years ago with a used 550 I got here, shipping was $35-40 via UPS. Since then I've added a 1050 which as my plan the entire time. 

My 550 can crank out 500 rounds an hour if I'm hustling while my 1050 can do easily 1000 an hour at a leisurely pace.

The other question is if you even plan to reload 223/556 I'd skip the 650 and add a 1050 in the future when you're putting that schooling to work.

• 2 weeks later...

If he has nothing and hasn't reloaded before, I think the 650/750 is probably overkill and will bust the budget considering all the other assorted stuff he needs (tumbler, media, calipers, powder scale, etc.).  Also, what good is a reloading press if you can't buy powder & primers?  Have you shopped SPP yet?