Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

This falls in line with how the 130 PF loads mentioned on this thread seem to be working well with the stock 80* lock piece.  It would be curious on how the dot moves with 135 PF ammo at 70* or 60* lock pieces.  

Unfortunately expensive to find out.

But once it is figured out, it might just be the ticket.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, mrvip27 said:

JP's website says with the 70* it will be on the edge of running with the 130/150 syntech loads. So it makes sense why it was so soft.

The 130 Syntech is rated at 1140 fps with a 16" barrel, 148 PF.

The 150 Syntech is rated at 890 fps with a 4" barrel, 134 PF.

What is the PF for 150 Syntech going to be out of a 14.5" barrel?  Testing with a Colt and a CMMG, using various ammo, I have seen increases of 25 fps to over 200 fps going from a 4" barrel to a 10.5" barrel.

Not apples to apples comparison.  Looks like a lot of testing with the 14.5" barrel and different ammo and different locking pieces.

49 minutes ago, BartCarter said:

The 130 Syntech is rated at 1140 fps with a 16" barrel, 148 PF.

The 150 Syntech is rated at 890 fps with a 4" barrel, 134 PF.

What is the PF for 150 Syntech going to be out of a 14.5" barrel?  Testing with a Colt and a CMMG, using various ammo, I have seen increases of 25 fps to over 200 fps going from a 4" barrel to a 10.5" barrel.

Not apples to apples comparison.  Looks like a lot of testing with the 14.5" barrel and different ammo and different locking pieces.

Yeah definitely testing to be done.

Is anyone shooting factory ammo in their JP-5 and what are you shooting 115,124,147,150? How do you feel the felt recoil and muzzle rise is with factory ammo?  
I see so many videos where people say it’s like a .22 but of course there’s never any mention of the ammo being used. 

1 hour ago, RCKable said:

Is anyone shooting factory ammo in their JP-5 and what are you shooting 115,124,147,150? How do you feel the felt recoil and muzzle rise is with factory ammo?  
I see so many videos where people say it’s like a .22 but of course there’s never any mention of the ammo being used. 

Yes - I've shot min with the 80* locking piece and the lower power factor ammo (147 and 150 grain) shoots softest.  With the 70* locking piece 115 ammo started shooting softer than my MPX and 150 grain syntech was very close to a heavier 22.  I have the 60* showing up today and I'm hoping I can get factory 115 grain ammo to shoot reliably and softly but I'm not expecting the lower PF stuff to run great with it.  

I like to tinker so I'm not sure what I'll stick with but I can get 115 grain ammo at a lower price than almost anything else.  

3 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

Yes - I've shot min with the 80* locking piece and the lower power factor ammo (147 and 150 grain) shoots softest.  With the 70* locking piece 115 ammo started shooting softer than my MPX and 150 grain syntech was very close to a heavier 22.  I have the 60* showing up today and I'm hoping I can get factory 115 grain ammo to shoot reliably and softly but I'm not expecting the lower PF stuff to run great with it.  

I like to tinker so I'm not sure what I'll stick with but I can get 115 grain ammo at a lower price than almost anything else.  

Awesome, thank you for the reply. If you can do an update once you’re happy with your tinkering I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m starting to learn and understand this whole PF thing. I just shoot Steel Challenge so it really plays no role for me but knowing is knowledge. 

18 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I just received the 70* locking piece. They said it would shoot softer with the 115gr bullets I am using. I will see Monday when I try it.

They also sent me a new improved firing pin. No charge and asked to return original firing pin in a prepaid envelope. Is JP awesome or what?

39 minutes ago, 1911flyr said:

I just received the 70* locking piece. They said it would shoot softer with the 115gr bullets I am using. I will see Monday when I try it.

They also sent me a new improved firing pin. No charge and asked to return original firing pin in a prepaid envelope. Is JP awesome or what?

I've had my 70* piece in for about 1k rounds and it is indeed softer.  Try some lower power factor stuff (maybe some 147 or 150gr Syntechs) and you will just laugh 🙂

Did they say what the firing pin change/problem was?  First I'm hearing about this....

20 hours ago, RCKable said:

Awesome, thank you for the reply. If you can do an update once you’re happy with your tinkering I’d greatly appreciate it. I’m starting to learn and understand this whole PF thing. I just shoot Steel Challenge so it really plays no role for me but knowing is knowledge. 

4 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I've had my 70* piece in for about 1k rounds and it is indeed softer.  Try some lower power factor stuff (maybe some 147 or 150gr Syntechs) and you will just laugh 🙂

Did they say what the firing pin change/problem was?  First I'm hearing about this....

They did not say. Except that they sent out the new FP to all JP5 owners now instead of waiting for the next group of rifles.

43 minutes ago, 1911flyr said:

They did not say. Except that they sent out the new FP to all JP5 owners now instead of waiting for the next group of rifles.

I am confused.  They sent firing pins to the group beta testing the rifles before the rifles were mass released in July, or they are sending firing pins for the first batch released in July?

7 hours ago, eerw said:

Played with the 70* block this morning. Very cool. Shot some Eley PCC , Syntech 124 and 150. 

very very soft. Dot barely moves even at distance.

I don’t have much time on PCCs but this is pretty cool.

I just had a range session and tested the 60° locking block and it works great with factory 115 and it’s very soft shooting. Locked back on every mag too. Came very close in recoil and dot movement to the 70* locking block with low power factor ammo.  So I’m a happy camper with this locking block for my purposes.  

However, as expected, the 60° locking block won’t run low power factor ammo, since there isn’t enough force to extract and load the next round.  

2 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

I just had a range session and tested the 60° locking block and it works great with factory 115 and it’s very soft shooting. Locked back on every mag too. Came very close in recoil and dot movement to the 70* locking block with low power factor ammo.  So I’m a happy camper with this locking block for my purposes.  

However, as expected, the 60° locking block won’t run low power factor ammo, since there isn’t enough force to extract and load the next round.  

So the 60* block didn’t run like the syntech ammo or the other competition loads?

8 hours ago, eerw said:

So the 60* block didn’t run like the syntech ammo or the other competition loads?

Correct - it wasn’t intended to and wasn’t recommended by JP.  

So, if you want to run factory 115 ammo, the 60* locking piece seems good to go (but I want to test more).  If you want to run low PF ammo, the 70* locking piece is about as low as you can go.  Obviously, YMMV and you’ll need to test it with your particular load.  

3 minutes ago, uhmeebuh said:

I purchased the 70* hoping it would be better and decided to try the 60* to push the envelope....

Let me know if you do not have any plans for the spares and if at sometime you may want to part with any of them.

Currently I am in the process of loading up Precision Delta 147 gr JHP to tune to the 80* Lock Piece.  I typically run 124 gr bullets in my pistol ammo a little hot, so I would not mind having ammo that worked in both.

Are you getting them from JP directly?

Edited by Boomstick303
On 9/17/2022 at 8:46 AM, RCKable said:

I have shot all of those. 

If you want the softest load that makes PF, 150 Syntech or equivalent coated will be the least recoil into the shoulder. 

If you want stupid soft, run 90 grains as slow as you can get em to the plate!

17 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

great info thanks!

9 hours ago, chrsb said:

Any left handers shooting the steel challenge version? Took mine out today shooting factory 124 and was getting a lot of blowback and recoil wasn’t close to a 22…. Lol. 

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the steel challenge version was tuned to cycle low power ammunition, which usually means regular power ammunition would feel like more recoil

8 hours ago, Arcrunner said:

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the steel challenge version was tuned to cycle low power ammunition, which usually means regular power ammunition would feel like more recoil

I talked to one of the techs at JP about choices.  He told me all versions come with the 80 deg. lock.  I told him the primary use would be for SCSA, but I shot 144 PF 147gr ammo twice a year at falling steel shoots.  He said buy the Steel Challenge version, but change to a 70 deg. lock for the hotter ammo.  That pretty much matches what has been posted here.  80 for sub-minor, 70 for factory and 60 for hot factory.