Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

4 hours ago, Blackstone45 said:

Can anyone identify that mount for the Sig romeo?

Crimson trace. Not sure which variation of it though. Whichever one fits the romeo 3xl footprint. May have to ask Crimson directly. i think they have a absolute and 1/3 cowitness version.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/28/2022 at 2:13 PM, mrvip27 said:

smaller.jpg

Ahh, a little disappointed they went with the dual charging design. IMO, there is no benefit to having the rear charging handle there. In fact, it sort of limits it to a gaming-only gun, because having the rear charger means it's not going to be very pleasant to slap a suppressor on (gas leaking out of the rear charging area), which is one of the primary things people like to do with a roller-delayed blowback gun.

I know companies try to sell it as a positive thing, because they say you have redundancy or that the shooter has options to fit their preferences, but, in my opinion, it's really just a cost thing for the manufacturer. It allows them to produce one upper design instead of multiple. I'd rather it not be there at all and just have the back of the upper receiver completely sealed.

Finally had a chance to shoot a JP5. This one had the standard 80 locking pieces. With factory ammo (124 at 141PF) its definitely softer then my JP15GMR with Blitz. Not bad. With 115's at 131PF I feel its similar, maybe a bit softer. And the 'feel' is different. Difficult to describe bit I liked it.

In both cases I saw the dot moving downwards instead of up... Also with a 2nd shooter. Not so much difference in the hits but it was remarkable. Comes with the design? Grip?

Anyway, my question: so if I were to shoot again and then with the 70 pieces installed it should further smooth things out? Both for hotter and softer ammo? That's not completely clear for me. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, Fasthenk65 said:

So with 130/131PF the 80* is as good as it gets??

That’s what I get with the 80*. The dot hardly moves. Feels a little like a AR. Some recoil in the shoulder but muzzle stays level. About the same with the 70* with hotter ammo.

1 hour ago, 1911flyr said:

That’s what I get with the 80*. The dot hardly moves. Feels a little like a AR. Some recoil in the shoulder but muzzle stays level. About the same with the 70* with hotter ammo.

With your 115s I would try the 70 degree lock piece. Heck I'd try it with both your hand loads and the factory 124s. I like 124s in my JP5 quite well. 

I personally settled on the 80 degree lock piece but others have preferred the 70 with all sorts of loads including factory 115s.

1 minute ago, Darqusoull13 said:

With your 115s I would try the 70 degree lock piece. Heck I'd try it with both your hand loads and the factory 124s. I like 124s in my JP5 quite well. 

I personally settled on the 80 degree lock piece but others have preferred the 70 with all sorts of loads including factory 115s.

tnx!

1 hour ago, pfeife said:

Somehow i wasn't able to chose the vertical comp as an option in the rifle builder, only tactical or competition. Which one would you guys recommend, vertical or competition?

depending if you pick polished, black, or bead blasted, it affects your comp choices

16 hours ago, pfeife said:

Somehow i wasn't able to chose the vertical comp as an option in the rifle builder, only tactical or competition. Which one would you guys recommend, vertical or competition?

I like the competition 3 port. Mostly it ends up being a personal preference between the comps. 

4 hours ago, Darqusoull13 said:

Like @1911flyrmentioned, the JP-5 has a different magwell than the GMR series. Taylor and Techwell both have JP-5 specific magwells available now. 

Thanks.

To comply with local laws, I need my gun (with stock fully extended) to be under 24" overall length (don't ask). Have already gone for the 8" SBR barrel with an unpinned compensator, but I think it'll still be too long with a Magpul CTR fully extended. Reckon they can temporarily pin the stock? My idea is to submit the rifle to the authorities for measurement with stock pinned at its shortest length, and without the compensator.

1 hour ago, Blackstone45 said:

Thanks.

To comply with local laws, I need my gun (with stock fully extended) to be under 24" overall length (don't ask). Have already gone for the 8" SBR barrel with an unpinned compensator, but I think it'll still be too long with a Magpul CTR fully extended. Reckon they can temporarily pin the stock? My idea is to submit the rifle to the authorities for measurement with stock pinned at its shortest length, and without the compensator.

That's an interesting question. I'm sure they will have an idea on how to accomplish that. There's a bunch of guys on your side of the world competing with JP gear already so likely there's a protocol in place. 

48 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

That's an interesting question. I'm sure they will have an idea on how to accomplish that. There's a bunch of guys on your side of the world competing with JP gear already so likely there's a protocol in place. 

Yeah, they're running GMR-15s also with the 8" barrel. Does the GMR-15 have a shorter upper receiver by any chance, or should it be comparable to the JP-5?

5 minutes ago, Blackstone45 said:

Yeah, they're running GMR-15s also with the 8" barrel. Does the GMR-15 have a shorter upper receiver by any chance, or should it be comparable to the JP-5?

It should be comparable. Worst case I'd assume they could get creative with the comp or chop more barrel but I'm sure JP will get it sorted.