Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP-5 reviews/input

On the clock there's no way I could pick which locking piece was in it. Heck sometimes the only way I can tell the difference between 150's and 130's is the sound. 

I'm excited for everyone getting their JP5's in to start posting their initial impressions. I think once more people start giving feedback from longer sessions than a mag or two at a local folks will have a better idea of what the JP5 really is. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Darqusoull13 said:

I'm excited for everyone getting their JP5's in to start posting their initial impressions.

Max had one as a stage gun at his 2 Gun match in St. George earlier this year.  After shooting it, it is as advertised.  

I do have a question about drop in triggers?  Is it possible to install drop ins?  

Edited by Boomstick303
20 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Max had one as a stage gun at his 2 Gun match in St. George earlier this year.  After shooting it, it is as advertised.  

I do have a question about drop in triggers?  Is it possible to install drop ins?  

See an earlier post by Max in this thread:

On 1/15/2022 at 9:19 PM, Maxamundo said:

The toggle springs in Hiperfires interfere.

Large cartridges interfere (AR Gold/Timney DH 3-Gun, Triggertech).

CMC "cartridge" interferes stock but I made it fit with a pair of tin snips by cutting the extra metal above the pins. Good budget option imo, very underrated trigger. Advertised 3.5 lbs but in reality they pull 2.5-3 lbs with little break in. 

Timney calvin elite does install because the housing is small, but didn't work well. It pulls at 1.25-1.5 lbs with a decent reset force (more than AR Gold). When first installed I thought it was the dream trigger, I was able to get 0.07-0.08 splits on demand, and even the occasional 0.06 (shown by AMG labs timer, not exactly how it's calculated. Could it have been a 0.69 split rounded down? Idk). After about 500 rounds it started bursting uncontrollably. I didn't try it with a much heavier hammer spring. Might be something to look into.

Geissele SD3G has been flawless. Pulls at 2.25 lbs with over 1lb reset force. Toss up between this and ECL in my opinion, but in blowbacks the SD3G doesn't work well. Never used it in blowback because the system is too violent and Geisseles burst too easily. JP5 is very nice to triggers in my experience so far. .10 splits on demand is easy.

1 hour ago, Boomstick303 said:

I run the JP trigger. I like it very well and I've had a bunch of them still function with over 100k in blowback GMR loaner guns. I've never felt the need to change it. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:47 AM, 1911flyr said:

I have the roller trigger in my GMR. Love it. Will be talking it out and putting it on the JP5 when it gets here Thursday.

Can you buy just the trigger shoe and swap it out? (with what comes with the JP-5?)

On 8/3/2022 at 1:18 PM, mrvip27 said:

Can you buy just the trigger shoe and swap it out? (with what comes with the JP-5?)

21 hours ago, chrsb said:

Thanks CHRSB. I couldn’t get just the trigger shoe 3 years ago. Btw, I put my down payment 5 Jun 21, so you should be hearing something soon.

6 hours ago, 1911flyr said:

Thanks CHRSB. I couldn’t get just the trigger shoe 3 years ago. Btw, I put my down payment 5 Jun 21, so you should be hearing something soon.

Thanks for the info!! I can’t wait for the invoice 

Has anyone tried any factory 115gr FMJ’s in the JP5? I have been running a 115 Precision Delta JHP at 137 power factor in my GMR 15 with great success. The JP5 also runs very well and is softer shooting. I the tried a factory 115gr FMJ and it shot definitely softer. No chrono yet but had it to be 145+ power factor. Anyone else notice what load shoots soft in the JP5?

15 hours ago, 1911flyr said:

Has anyone tried any factory 115gr FMJ’s in the JP5? I have been running a 115 Precision Delta JHP at 137 power factor in my GMR 15 with great success. The JP5 also runs very well and is softer shooting. I the tried a factory 115gr FMJ and it shot definitely softer. No chrono yet but had it to be 145+ power factor. Anyone else notice what load shoots soft in the JP5?

I've shot a bunch of factory American Eagle 115's. I found the 150 Syntech to shoot softer but if you like the 115's then go for it! Factory 115's will definitely be well above 130 PF. 

I liked 124's last year pretty well but 150's were also solid. In USPSA I'd say it's more preference than a clear winner. 

Steel Challenge is a very different game though and, without changing any parts, I would strongly recommend experimentation there! 

16 hours ago, 1911flyr said:

The beauty of roller delayed ;)

Per Adam at JP

"The 3 preconfigured models that we're selling currently do not have interchangeable shoes. So you'd need a complete new trigger. 

However, when we open up custom builds in 2 months or so, this will be an option you can select."

[Long post, might bunch some panties, details and pics at the end]

I’m lucky enough to be one of the first “regulars” to pick up a JP5 from my local dealer.  Unless it’s winter, it can be sometimes good to live near JP and Arnzen  🙂

Some context: I shoot some local PCC (but mostly CO and a bit of Open pistol) and have a GMR and a newish MPX competition.  I have owned a number of PCCs from MP5s to Scorpions to B&T APCs and others.  

Unpopular initial take: I shot the MPX and JP5 back to back a few times over this weekend and…well, the MPX shoots softer and flatter with factory 115 ammo (Norma and Federal).  I know this will be an unpopular take, but that’s what I felt (along with a few other folks) with 4 types of factory 115 ammo.  The JP5 was flatter shooting than my GMR but the MPX had it beat.  Split times were in the same ball park for all three but the recoil impulse wasnt great for the JP5.  With the factory loads, it flung brass far so it seems like the locking piece wasn’t quite right for 115gr at ~1200 FPS.  After the first few mags, I wasn’t sure I spent my money well….and it was a rare JP letdown.  But I was wrong…

A buddy offered up some Federal 150 syntech, the JP5 was BY FAR superior and it came alive!  It shot a lot like an MP5 in feel and recoil impulse but softer and faster.  My MPX won’t even run the 150 syntechs well.  The difference was literally laughable - everyone who shot it laughed their asses off.  It was unbelievable and still processing all of it.  With some hand loads I bet it runs amazing.  I’m smitten….

I was pretty skeptical about it after shooting factory 115 ammo and hope a 70 degree locking piece becomes available shortly from JP so I can do some tuning for some faster hand loads (I like them for longer shots).  Otherwise, a hand load with a heavier bullet around 130-135 PF would likely be great as it comes with the 80 degree locking piece.  

The JP5 is a game changer - I’m now a believer…and now need to sell my GMR so I can afford the thing.  

A few details for those interested:

- You can’t run cartridge triggers at this time. Even JPs versions.  There’s a lever inside the lower that makes cartridge triggers not possible (see pics).  I’m running a Geissele 3 gun and it works great.  
- The barrel is not a slip fit like the GMR - it’s threaded in so hand guard changes are a bit more complicated (not sure if they are cryo fit or not).  
- The silent capture spring is just two steel weights and is very light.   Quite the opposite of the blitzkreig and tungsten weight I run on my GMR.  JP recommended I not mess with it but a few folks in the know seemed to think otherwise.  I won’t second guess it for now and think the locking piece is a better (and simpler) answer.   
- The ergos are awesome for left hand mag releases the left side mag release is in a good spot.  The right hand (well, right finger) bolt release works great with not a lot of pressure.  
- It runs a radian MCX charging handle - says so right on it with the JP logo as well.  Interesting and nice that it’s not a proprietary part.  
- The quality and fit and finish is typical JP - excellent and it makes me feel bad when I pick up the MPX.  

Anyway, I don’t post much but didn’t see a lot from regular joes with a JP5 so figured I would share.  Let me know if you have any questions until the specifics are more available.  

341999E3-2A34-4CAA-9140-888C2DAE3266.jpeg

3CD001D6-570F-4D67-86EF-7C9559E7EDB2.jpeg

41064E5B-6700-40DE-BF20-A2DB535670E1.jpeg

Edited by uhmeebuh
Typoughs

I shot it in my first match with it yesterday, and it was my first time ever shooting a PCC in a match. I took first place in PCCO, 3rd overall, in steel challenge, and was 83% of a RFPO GM. The 5 stages I shot classified as a 77%, 80%, 81%, 82%, and 97%. The 97% on pendulum had a fastest time of 2.12 I was proud of. Overall the gun shot great and I am very happy with it!

It has about 500 rounds through it total, never skipping a beat. The accuracy has improved even more, and it groups 1 inch at 35 yards. I am shooting RMR JHP 124 grains over 4.2 grains of titegroup, but it also works well with my CO minor load of the same bullet over 3.9 grains of bullseye. I can't really tell the difference between the two loads.

I am more of a USPSA shooter and haven't shot steel challenge in 1.5 years or so - for reference last time I shot it I was a high B CO shooter. With 1 more good stage I would make M which would be cool, and GM is definitely not out of the picture, but I am going to focus more on USPSA.

Edited by Magdumper
12 hours ago, uhmeebuh said:

[Long post, might bunch some panties, details and pics at the end]

I’m lucky enough to be one of the first “regulars” to pick up a JP5 from my local dealer.  Unless it’s winter, it can be sometimes good to live near JP and Arnzen  🙂

Some context: I shoot some local PCC (but mostly CO and a bit of Open pistol) and have a GMR and a newish MPX competition.  I have owned a number of PCCs from MP5s to Scorpions to B&T APCs and others.  

Unpopular initial take: I shot the MPX and JP5 back to back a few times over this weekend and…well, the MPX shoots softer and flatter with factory 115 ammo (Norma and Federal).  I know this will be an unpopular take, but that’s what I felt (along with a few other folks) with 4 types of factory 115 ammo.  The JP5 was flatter shooting than my GMR but the MPX had it beat.  Split times were in the same ball park for all three but the recoil impulse wasnt great for the JP5.  With the factory loads, it flung brass far so it seems like the locking piece wasn’t quite right for 115gr at ~1200 FPS.  After the first few mags, I wasn’t sure I spent my money well….and it was a rare JP letdown.  But I was wrong…

A buddy offered up some Federal 150 syntech, the JP5 was BY FAR superior and it came alive!  It shot a lot like an MP5 in feel and recoil impulse but softer and faster.  My MPX won’t even run the 150 syntechs well.  The difference was literally laughable - everyone who shot it laughed their asses off.  It was unbelievable and still processing all of it.  With some hand loads I bet it runs amazing.  I’m smitten….

I was pretty skeptical about it after shooting factory 115 ammo and hope a 70 degree locking piece becomes available shortly from JP so I can do some tuning for some faster hand loads (I like them for longer shots).  Otherwise, a hand load with a heavier bullet around 130-135 PF would likely be great as it comes with the 80 degree locking piece.  

The JP5 is a game changer - I’m now a believer…and now need to sell my GMR so I can afford the thing.  

A few details for those interested:

- You can’t run cartridge triggers at this time. Even JPs versions.  There’s a lever inside the lower that makes cartridge triggers not possible (see pics).  I’m running a Geissele 3 gun and it works great.  
- The barrel is not a slip fit like the GMR - it’s threaded in so hand guard changes are a bit more complicated (not sure if they are cryo fit or not).  
- The silent capture spring is just two steel weights and is very light.   Quite the opposite of the blitzkreig and tungsten weight I run on my GMR.  JP recommended I not mess with it but a few folks in the know seemed to think otherwise.  I won’t second guess it for now and think the locking piece is a better (and simpler) answer.   
- The ergos are awesome for left hand mag releases the left side mag release is in a good spot.  The right hand (well, right finger) bolt release works great with not a lot of pressure.  
- It runs a radian MCX charging handle - says so right on it with the JP logo as well.  Interesting and nice that it’s not a proprietary part.  
- The quality and fit and finish is typical JP - excellent and it makes me feel bad when I pick up the MPX.  

Anyway, I don’t post much but didn’t see a lot from regular joes with a JP5 so figured I would share.  Let me know if you have any questions until the specifics are more available.  

341999E3-2A34-4CAA-9140-888C2DAE3266.jpeg

3CD001D6-570F-4D67-86EF-7C9559E7EDB2.jpeg

41064E5B-6700-40DE-BF20-A2DB535670E1.jpeg

Looks like you replaced the trigger, pistol grip, stock and comp.