Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Czechmate Feed Issues

BadShot

I took my new Parrot out this  morning for some more breaking in.  All mags were left fully loaded for a couple of days and had  at least 50 rounds each thru them.  The factory 20 round mags work perfect.  The 26 round mag not so much. It would jam on each of the first 7 rounds. After that it would work just fine.  I ran 125 rounds thru it. I am using Everglades 124gr JHP loaded out to 1.150.  I use these in all of my guns with no issues.  I ran one mag of factory 9mm and still had the same issues.  Any thoughts?

I know there are some tuning posts out there, but is that needed for a stock factory mag?

Other than the 1 mag, this is one sweet gun...

IMG_20210819_090813.jpg

Edited by BadShot

1 hour ago, BadShot said:

What if I swap out the stock parts for  CZ custom or a different company's basepad, spring, and follower setup?  Will that eliminate the need to be tuned? 

You still need to tune it. I have to do it on mine after installing the CZC spring, follower and base pad.

I got the tuning info from @aandabooks:

- For the control rib: 0.735” just above the mag catch hole

- Feed lips: 0.365” in the rear, 0.375” in the front

I had to tune my 26 big stick. I tried it with grams guts when I made my attempt to tune it and it didn't work very well. However, the stock spring and follower worked with my tuning and the CZC base pad. With the CZC base pad and my tuning I was able to get 28+1 in the mag. I tested and tested them at the range after my tuning and both of my big sticks ran fine.  I ran one USPSA match using minor ammo and had one mag fail on me (go figure).

I tried running Everglades 124 gr major match ammo but I could not get it to cycle. I think the OAL is too long for my Czechmate as it would catch the lip of the feed ramp.

10 minutes ago, WildPete said:

I had to tune my 26 big stick. I tried it with grams guts when I made my attempt to tune it and it didn't work very well. However, the stock spring and follower worked with my tuning and the CZC base pad. With the CZC base pad and my tuning I was able to get 28+1 in the mag. I tested and tested them at the range after my tuning and both of my big sticks ran fine.  I ran one USPSA match using minor ammo and had one mag fail on me (go figure).

I tried running Everglades 124 gr major match ammo but I could not get it to cycle. I think the OAL is too long for my Czechmate as it would catch the lip of the feed ramp.

How did you tune your mags?  Just the lips or squeezing the tube in a vice?

49 minutes ago, BadShot said:

How did you tune your mags?  Just the lips or squeezing the tube in a vice?

I squeezed the mags. Someone on FB sent me a link on how to do it. I was going to leave it alone and have Grams do the tuning. I couldn't get a hold of them through Email or calling so I took it upon myself to tune two very expensive mags.  I have a Springer 170mm base pad on one of the regular mags and it has run without issues, 26+1. 

Edited by WildPete

5 hours ago, BadShot said:

I took my new Parrot out this  morning for some more breaking in.  All mags were left fully loaded for a couple of days and had  at least 50 rounds each thru them.  The factory 20 round mags work perfect.  The 26 round mag not so much. It would jam on each of the first 7 rounds. After that it would work just fine.  I ran 125 rounds thru it. I am using Everglades 124gr JHP loaded out to 1.150.  I use these in all of my guns with no issues.  I ran one mag of factory 9mm and still had the same issues.  Any thoughts?

I know there are some tuning posts out there, but is that needed for a stock factory mag?

Other than the 1 mag, this is one sweet gun...

IMG_20210819_090813.jpg

I've a similar problem with two pistols  -- CZSP01 and the other a 1911.  In both cases increasing the COL helped, but the real item that fixed the issue were magazines. Ensure proper spring length in 26 rnd mags, if you haven't already.

29 minutes ago, GeneBray said:

I've a similar problem with two pistols  -- CZSP01 and the other a 1911.  In both cases increasing the COL helped, but the real item that fixed the issue were magazines. Ensure proper spring length in 26 rnd mags, if you haven't already.

What would be the proper spring length for these?

Craig, I went down and checked that, no luck.  I loaded it up with 25 dummy and started racking it and it jammed.  As I looked closer at this round, I noticed that it shifted to one side.  Another one looked the same way.

IMG_20210819_201307.jpg

2 minutes ago, BadShot said:

Craig, I went down and checked that, no luck.  I loaded it up with 25 dummy and started racking it and it jammed.  As I looked closer at this round, I noticed that it shifted to one side.  Another one looked the same way.

IMG_20210819_201307.jpg

Definitely a mag problem. Feed lips to wide?

25 minutes ago, BadShot said:

IMG_20210819_201307.jpg

You need to clamp/pinch the area just above the mag catch hole to the specs from my previous post:

- For the control rib: 0.735” just above the mag catch hole

You can use one of those fuel hose pliers to do the pinching. Just be gentle so as not to crack the mag. You can also use wooden dowels on each side of the mag and a vise to clamp the mag down to size.

51DLbpe5fbL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I would suggest switching to a round nose projectile. I tried the everglades jhp v2 and even with lots of tuning could not get them to reliably feed past 27 rounds in the magazine; the hollowpoint snags on the bottom of the feedramp. Anything over ~1.165 may start to have friction inside the mag body that can make the issues worse. 1.17 is about the max OAL you can run in the CZ/TSO mags. 

I run the springer 170mm extensions with CZC 13-coil springs and OEM springs and get 29+1 in each, 28 rounds reloadable. I need to change springs every 9 months to stay ahead FTF in the first few rounds. I also clean and brush mags roughly ever 3-4 matches and brush them out at matches whenever they get dropped in dusty areas. They can be very reliable if you stay ahead of tuning and maintenance. 

10 hours ago, 11287 said:

Same nosedive problem on mine. Sent two mags to Beven Gram.  Mine hold 29 rounds, reloadable.

same here, sent all my mags to him years ago and haven't had one issue with that since, no matter the bullet profile. i've run rmr jhp, everglades jhp v2, round nose, and truncated cone.

Bevin told me that he makes a second follower that he uses on CM as his reprofiling is different enough that a standard follower doesn't always make it to the top. mine are 29 reloadable with his guts and czc bases.

Okay, problem fixed.  I took the gun to our local guru gunsmith.  He recut the feed ramp and polished it up.  He also took a bit of metal off the bottom of the ejector.  It now feeds Everglades JHP(V1  and V2), round nose bullets, and minor factory 9mm rounds flawlessly.  I ran the factory 26 and 20 round mags.  I then put in my 29 round CZC spring kit and base pad, which also works perfectly.

Thanks for all of your input.

IMG_20210821_120220.jpg