Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Optic CZ for ccw.

mrpredictable

Recommendations for a DA/SA optic gun?

Currently carry a Canik C100 which does well for me but thinking about getting in the optic game. I compete with a CZ shadow. 

Prefer
-CZ
-double stack, 15 rounds
-compact size but will consider duty size
-safety only, no decocker
-lightweight with alloy or poly frame 
-premilled or manufactured for optics

Can’t seem to find anything that quite fits the bill, maybe will have to go tango or canik. 

36 minutes ago, mrpredictable said:

Prefer

-CZ
-double stack, 15 rounds
-compact size but will consider duty size
-safety only, no decocker
-lightweight with alloy or poly frame 
-premilled or manufactured for optics

Can’t seem to find anything that quite fits the bill, maybe will have to go tango or canik. 

CZ does not make a pistol that meets all of your specifications.

The P-07 comes close but does not come with the Optics Ready plate system. Why do you want a DA/SA pistol with no decocker?  You do realize that the decocker has zero effect on trigger quality, right?

The P-10C is probably the closest. Since it's striker fired it needs neither a safety nor a decocker and it can be bought with the Optics Ready slide which is the absolute best of all the plate systems (OEM or aftermarket) out there.  And if finding a P-10C OR is difficult, Stonebridge Gunworks will mill a regular P-10 to accept the OEM plates: https://www.stonebridgegunworks.com/store/m7om3ie51jj6v5gz59lm2k1etbppya

Edited by SGT_Schultz

It doesn't meet your criteria of 15 round capacity or being optic ready, but I'll just mention it for the sake of discussion:

I have a CZ RAMI.  It is the safety model. Gun built by Cajun Gun Works (Pro Package).  They milled the slide and installed a Holosun 507K X2 red dot optic.  I haven't had it that long, but I really like it so far.  Chunky, but not too heavy, and the pistol just seems to shoot more accurately than I ever expected.  The optic has been trouble free.

I also compete with CZ Shadow pistols.

I also have a CZ Shadowline Compact, which, other than not being already milled to accept optics comes even closer to your described criteria.

Those particular pistols are pretty rare, and so far I can't bring myself to machining the slide.  But as I grow older, I may have to do it anyway so I can mount an optic on it.  

2 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

CZ does not make a pistol that meets all of your specifications.

The P-07 comes close but does not come with the Optics Ready plate system. Why do you want a DA/SA pistol with no decocker?  You do realize that the decocker has zero effect on trigger quality, right?

The P-10C is probably the closest. Since it's striker fired it needs neither a safety nor a decocker and it can be bought with the Optics Ready slide which is the absolute best of all the plate systems (OEM or aftermarket) out there.  And if finding a P-10C OR is difficult, Stonebridge Gunworks will mill a regular P-10 to accept the OEM plates: https://www.stonebridgegunworks.com/store/m7om3ie51jj6v5gz59lm2k1etbppya

Thanks for the reply. As wanting to make sure there was no obvious gun I was overlooking. I guess I wanted a safety model because the decocker I worked on was such a pain and there is a difference in the maximum potential of the triggers, probably not important for a ccw though. 

P-10 is on the short list. 

1 hour ago, 45 Raven said:

It doesn't meet your criteria of 15 round capacity or being optic ready, but I'll just mention it for the sake of discussion:

I have a CZ RAMI.  It is the safety model. Gun built by Cajun Gun Works (Pro Package).  They milled the slide and installed a Holosun 507K X2 red dot optic.  I haven't had it that long, but I really like it so far.  Chunky, but not too heavy, and the pistol just seems to shoot more accurately than I ever expected.  The optic has been trouble free.

I also compete with CZ Shadow pistols.

I also have a CZ Shadowline Compact, which, other than not being already milled to accept optics comes even closer to your described criteria.

Those particular pistols are pretty rare, and so far I can't bring myself to machining the slide.  But as I grow older, I may have to do it anyway so I can mount an optic on it.  

Shadow line compact would be sweet. Guess I would just have to own up to the milling. Could consider just doing that to a P07 or a 75 compact too. 

4 hours ago, mrpredictable said:

Thanks for the reply. As wanting to make sure there was no obvious gun I was overlooking. I guess I wanted a safety model because the decocker I worked on was such a pain and there is a difference in the maximum potential of the triggers, probably not important for a ccw though. 

P-10 is on the short list. 

The decocker doesn't touch the sear, disconnector, or the trigger bar at all unless it's pressed down by you.  It can't have any effect on trigger quality because it's disengaged from the entire fire control system during firing.  The firing pin block is what has an effect and it's minimal other than not being able to get an ultra short reset in single action.

In any case the Omega trigger system in the P-07 and P-09 is miles simpler than the traditional 75 lockwork found in the P-01 and SP-01.  It's almost Glock simple.

6 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The decocker doesn't touch the sear, disconnector, or the trigger bar at all unless it's pressed down by you.  It can't have any effect on trigger quality because it's disengaged from the entire fire control system during firing.  The firing pin block is what has an effect and it's minimal other than not being able to get an ultra short reset in single action.

In any case the Omega trigger system in the P-07 and P-09 is miles simpler than the traditional 75 lockwork found in the P-01 and SP-01.  It's almost Glock simple.

Interesting. Wonder why decocker arnt popular for competition guns, just due to the FPB?

10 hours ago, mrpredictable said:

Interesting. Wonder why decocker arnt popular for competition guns, just due to the FPB?

Yes.  It's correlation without causation that gets repeated as gospel.

Basically take the FPB out of a decocker gun and you can really tune up the trigger.  Not that I advocate.

On 7/22/2021 at 9:09 AM, 11287 said:

P07 with Cajun Gun Works Kit.  Had to have the milling done for optics.  Pictured with decocker but can be swapped out for safety.IMG_2675.jpg

This is gorgeous!

OP- I would go this route.  Jagewerks has a pretty affordable optic cut cost (and if you can wait until Black Friday- it gets cheaper!).

Not exactly to your spec but close: CZ Custom semi compact, 3.7" barrel, 16 round, DA/SA with safety, 

https://czcustom.com/new-firearms/cz-pistols-custom/cz-75-semi-compact-9mm-custom-1858.html

CZ custom can add optic cut when you order. It can come with rear sight plate so that you can switch between RDS or iron whenever you want.

The first factory optics ready pistol was the FNX-45 Tactical. Your only other option is probably the SIG choices. Or you can just try it with a dovetail mount, so no modification needed, and you get a very good approximation of the shooting characteristics of a slide-mounted RDS.

The only factory pistol that meets all your specs is the Arex Zero. Comes in a factory optics ready version, manual safety (as well as decocker), alloy frame, compact service pistol size.

I would highly recommend getting a P07 and getting it milled for an optic. Great gun and works great with optics like the RMR/Holosun. I would also highly recommend learning to run the gun in DA and going with a decocker instead of a safety, but of course that is your choice.

Arent those sig 22X series knockoffs?

9 hours ago, Tictacticaltimmy said:

The only factory pistol that meets all your specs is the Arex Zero. Comes in a factory optics ready version, manual safety (as well as decocker), alloy frame, compact service pistol size.

I would highly recommend getting a P07 and getting it milled for an optic. Great gun and works great with optics like the RMR/Holosun. I would also highly recommend learning to run the gun in DA and going with a decocker instead of a safety, but of course that is your choice.

1 hour ago, 18111811 said:

Arent those sig 22X series knockoffs?

Yes they are. They have some differences in the controls and I do not think most of the parts are compatible.

By many accounts build quality and reliability is better than typical SIG, but I do not own one, just going by what I've seen online.