Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manipulating pistol slide with milled red dot sight.....what's the best way?

17 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Part of the issue here on the forum is that the increasing incidence of ultracrepidarianism (I learned a new word today!).  You have shooters who are legit supersquad and geriatric C-class giving advice simultaneously.  It would be really helpful to all of us to know the competence of the advisors.  I am a middle of the pack A-class nobody and would love to learn from some of the world class death stalkers on the forum. But all too often, it is the same people who are experts in EVERYTHING chiming in with "words of wisdom" that are nothing short of Papal doctrine.  You know who you are.  If you are really an expert, post some video or a link to a USPSA# or something that confirms that you are more than just a keyboard and an opinion

And people think I'm an a_-hole when I suggest people sign their posts with their USPSA number and classification

15 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Part of the issue here on the forum is that the increasing incidence of ultracrepidarianism (I learned a new word today!).  You have shooters who are legit supersquad and geriatric C-class giving advice simultaneously.  It would be really helpful to all of us to know the competence of the advisors.  I am a middle of the pack A-class nobody and would love to learn from some of the world class death stalkers on the forum. But all too often, it is the same people who are experts in EVERYTHING chiming in with "words of wisdom" that are nothing short of Papal doctrine.  You know who you are.  If you are really an expert, post some video or a link to a USPSA# or something that confirms that you are more than just a keyboard and an opinion

As a legit geriatric C-class shooter (64 y/o 55%) I am here primarily to have fun and learn stuff.   Folks are free to ignore my input at any time.  I do reserve the right to comment when I think I have something to add to the conversation.  :) 

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Garran uses a hybrid technique but the hand does come up from underneath.

Anytime someone tells you there’s only one correct way to to do something, a multi-division GM is waiting to prove them wrong…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9J9m_pmIR/?utm_medium=copy_link

Most of the GM bois come over the top with the thumb like that for all their guns. It's one of those things that sort of just starts to happen. I don't really recall learning it from anyone myself either. 

It's funny, when I teach my intro classes, of all the things I show them and demo, the thing that gets the most questions is "how do you rack the slide like that?"

55 minutes ago, waktasz said:

Most of the GM bois come over the top with the thumb like that for all their guns. It's one of those things that sort of just starts to happen. I don't really recall learning it from anyone myself either. 

Is there a video showing this method in slow motion or explaining it?  The dude is so fast I cannot make out what he is doing exactly.  Is he just wrapping his thumb over the rear serrations to rack the gun?

2 minutes ago, Boomstick303 said:

Is there a video showing this method in slow motion or explaining it?  The dude is so fast I cannot make out what he is doing exactly.  Is he just wrapping his thumb over the rear serrations to rack the gun?

there are 2 videos, the second is slow mo

14 minutes ago, RJH said:

So, how do you sign your post? I tried but I can't find a place in my profile to add a signature line

Click your username (upper RH corner), click "account settings".  Look for "signature" in the menu on the left.  

17 minutes ago, NETim said:

Click your username (upper RH corner), click "account settings".  Look for "signature" in the menu on the left.  

Thanks

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Roll the gun 30-45 degrees or so toward the weak hand to present the slide. Pinch the slide between the base of the thumb and the index finger. Deep in the crotch where you’ll find a surprising amount of strength - don’t use your fingertips.

Easy peasy. As @waktasz said, most of us pick it up eventually. The main benefit to this is how much faster it is on unloaded starts; on a conventional overhand rack, your hand comes off the back of the gun. With this technique you roll the gun back upright and your weak hand pretty much falls into place.

@waktasz: No-talent A class over here. 😉

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 7/6/2021 at 11:38 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

Roll the gun 30-45 degrees or so toward the weak hand to present the slide. Pinch the slide between the base of the thumb and the index finger. Deep in the crotch where you’ll find a surprising amount of strength - don’t use your fingertips.

Easy peasy. As @waktasz said, most of us pick it up eventually. The main benefit to this is how much faster it is on unloaded starts; on a conventional overhand rack, your hand comes off the back of the gun. With this technique you roll the gun back upright and your weak hand pretty much falls into place.

@waktasz: No-talent A class over here. 😉

I’ve accidentally changed brightness settings or turned off my dot grabbing at it on make ready. 

So now I do the @waktasz method. For some guns I add grip tape on the front of the slide to help when there aren’t cocking serrations. 

——-

Paper CO GM here

17 minutes ago, dapribek said:

I may have done it incorrectly, but when I added grip tape to the front of my slide, it created too much friction against my kydex holster during my draw. 

A bic lighter or heat gun can fix that. This was on a CZ though so the frame sticks out wider than the slide by a little. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an SRO on my 1911 & Shadow 2 and I reach over the entire SRO and grab the slide/SRO.  If it can handle the recoil of shooting, then I think you can gab it any way that works for you without issue.  My 2 cents worth.

My weak side shoulder has some tears (actually both sides do), and when I was at A8 last year, unloaded start, something stopped working in the shoulder and I could do little with my left hand for slide racking.  Zeroed that stage (Stage 7, I believe).  Even now unloaded starts are a loser for me as I cannot grip and rip from the front of the slide like I can at make ready.  Apparently at speed it's a no-go.  So I've found myself grabbing the optic this season in the first 3 matches.  Not consciously, just happened.  Far less pain and better maneuverability with the hand.  If the optic goes, it goes.  

I'm not going to win anything, those days are gone, so better comfort than pooping the bed.

Hey Vince, I can relate...I had had a reverse shoulder replace on my left shoulder, now I cannot raise my arm above 90 degrees and it is week.  Also had surgery on the other shoulder.  Had the left kneE replaced last sept, getting the right one replaced May 3.  Dropped dead of a heart attack in 2002, Had cancer AND I CAN GO ON.....3 BACK SURg

BUT I JUST KEEP GOING...............AND WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH.............DILAUDID IS MY BEST FRIEND....lol😉