Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Manipulating pistol slide with milled red dot sight.....what's the best way?

I just had a 1911 slide professionally milled for a Bushnell RXS250 red dot sight (nice sight by the way, Grayguns did an awesome job)....no other sights on the slide,  just rear slide serrations right below the optic.

I'm not sure how best to rack the slide...is it ok to push back on the red dot sight itself?  It's somewhat awkward  to grab the whole red dot and the slide.

Thanks and Happy 4th

interesting....kind of scared to put my hand that close to the muzzle

so far i've been moving my hand horizontally and running it back over the top of the slide and back into the optic to rack the slide. glad to hear dapribek hasn't had any  problems with this technique.

sure appreciate everyone's help.

Running DPP on an M&P.  I just cup the DPP and rack the slide by pinching it with my fingertips on the slide.  I try not to put any stress on the red dot.   

Maybe I'm overly cautious but that's how I do it. 

9 minutes ago, NETim said:

Running DPP on an M&P.  I just cup the DPP and rack the slide by pinching it with my fingertips on the slide.  I try not to put any stress on the red dot.   

Maybe I'm overly cautious but that's how I do it. 

If the dot could break by you pinching it to rack it, it surely would break after the first shot you fire. 

Do whatever is comfortable for you, you can't damage the sight with your hand. 

59 minutes ago, waktasz said:

If the dot could break by you pinching it to rack it, it surely would break after the first shot you fire. 

Do whatever is comfortable for you, you can't damage the sight with your hand. 

I 'spose.   They just look so delicate to me.   But yes, they do get slammed around pretty good while firing.  :)

10 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

And yet they survive G forces that would kill you.

Apparently you've never seen me accelerate out of a shooting position.  :)  

17 hours ago, Jim Watson said:

Most Dotters I see use the sight as a charging handle.

I know of a couple who come in under the gun to grab front serrations

I've only seen complete noobs and lifelong D classers use the sight as a charging handle.  Must be an IDPA thing.

I've never seen anyone grab the front of the slide from underneath to fix a malfunction or release the slide into battery.  I don't know why anyone would.

This is the way

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've never seen anyone grab the front of the slide from underneath to fix a malfunction or release the slide into battery.  I don't know why anyone would.

Garran uses a hybrid technique but the hand does come up from underneath.

Anytime someone tells you there’s only one correct way to to do something, a multi-division GM is waiting to prove them wrong…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9J9m_pmIR/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by MemphisMechanic

40 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Garran uses a hybrid technique but the hand does come up from underneath.

Anytime someone tells you there’s only one correct way to to do something, a multi-division GM is waiting to prove them wrong…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9J9m_pmIR/?utm_medium=copy_link

His way works for him and anyone with hands his size, which means it doesn't work universally.

Over the front works for anyone regardless of hand size.

25 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

His way works for him and anyone with hands his size, which means it doesn't work universally.

Over the front works for anyone regardless of hand size.

It’s an entirely valid technique, as you just saw. Yet someone slower and worse than him is still preaching there’s a better way that everyone should use.

I love this place. 😉

Edited by MemphisMechanic

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I love this place. 😉

Part of the issue here on the forum is that the increasing incidence of ultracrepidarianism (I learned a new word today!).  You have shooters who are legit supersquad and geriatric C-class giving advice simultaneously.  It would be really helpful to all of us to know the competence of the advisors.  I am a middle of the pack A-class nobody and would love to learn from some of the world class death stalkers on the forum. But all too often, it is the same people who are experts in EVERYTHING chiming in with "words of wisdom" that are nothing short of Papal doctrine.  You know who you are.  If you are really an expert, post some video or a link to a USPSA# or something that confirms that you are more than just a keyboard and an opinion