Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

MPA DS9 Hybrid

Csalt

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, Dat_Dude said:

None of the issues I listed should occur in a $3400 semi custom pistol. 

I don't disagree with you at all. 

The fact of the matter is, every gun manufacturer, even the super expensive ones, have issues at times. 

Do you load your own ammo? Have you done a plunk test?  Have you compared dimensions to see where the issue lies? 

No I don't load my own, I use competition loads from the manufactures on the USPSA certified ammo list. I'm going to take it to a local 1911 builder next week to see what the underlying issue is. I'm glad yours hasn't had the issues mine has. 

I just sent my DS9 in for the new upgrades. The gun ran good before, I just wasn’t happy with the thumb safety as it kind of had 3 positions and was extremely sharp.  I ran the gun for 1 1/2 years before sending it in. I had an issue with a burr in the firing pin channel that was making the firing pin stick. I discovered the issue and took a round fill to it. It cost me a few seconds on one stage at double tap and the same on one stage at dragons cup. Other than that, the gun hasn’t malfunctioned yet using my reloads. MPA paid for all of the shipping and the upgrades were done for free. I had the gun back within a week. To me, this was extremely good customer service and the gun still runs perfectly. Everything on the gun was replaced except the slide, frame, sights, slide stop, and guide rod. The trigger slop is good now and the new, more aggressive grip is perfect traction. 

For the money and the awesome customer service, I have no complaints about recommending MPA. 

Also, the replaced my old original mags with new MBX mags 👍

Edited by Hammerman
Added info

Handled some at a level 2 and they felt pretty solid. The main thing though, is the customer service is the best I've ever seen. A few friends have worked with dave and the dude goes above and beyond. Super helpful with fast turnarounds. Made me want to sell my ish and get one. Lol

I don't own an MPA but have benefited from their customer service. I met Dave Lyell at a Level 1 local when he was there with one of their open shooters that I knew. I started talking and since he is a gunsmith I asked about a problem I'm having with the extractor on my old Ruger MKII. 

He told me the company to find a replacement extractor for. Great... on to my squad and match.

Walking from one stage to another we pass each other and he stops, pulls out his phone and walks up to me and shows me the extractor and gives me the url to order it (which I did that night).

Giving me advice was really appreciated. Finding the link, keeping it on his phone until he runs into me and calling me over to make sure I have it is above and beyond. I have since squaded with him and I am just a C class forever hobby shooter but he was vocally as supportive of me as he was his sponsored shooter. He was like that for everyone on the squad. Made the match 100 times better.

I worked the SC Sectionals (my first ever) and the guys from MPA had a non-MPA shooter who almost quit that day b/c of a gun problem and they took parts off a gun they had and got this guys gun working and let him keep the parts.

I am an Apex loyalist b/c of the customer service I have gotten there but MPA and Hunters HD are right there with them. I can't believe how much they go above and beyond.

I will buy an MPA next year... maybe not a pistol but looking budgeting for a rifle right now. If I get confident LO will stick and not become some combined CO division I may do the pistol too but we'll see what the economy brings :)

5 hours ago, truespode said:

I don't own an MPA but have benefited from their customer service. I met Dave Lyell at a Level 1 local when he was there with one of their open shooters that I knew. I started talking and since he is a gunsmith I asked about a problem I'm having with the extractor on my old Ruger MKII. 

He told me the company to find a replacement extractor for. Great... on to my squad and match.

Walking from one stage to another we pass each other and he stops, pulls out his phone and walks up to me and shows me the extractor and gives me the url to order it (which I did that night).

Giving me advice was really appreciated. Finding the link, keeping it on his phone until he runs into me and calling me over to make sure I have it is above and beyond. I have since squaded with him and I am just a C class forever hobby shooter but he was vocally as supportive of me as he was his sponsored shooter. He was like that for everyone on the squad. Made the match 100 times better.

I worked the SC Sectionals (my first ever) and the guys from MPA had a non-MPA shooter who almost quit that day b/c of a gun problem and they took parts off a gun they had and got this guys gun working and let him keep the parts.

I am an Apex loyalist b/c of the customer service I have gotten there but MPA and Hunters HD are right there with them. I can't believe how much they go above and beyond.

I will buy an MPA next year... maybe not a pistol but looking budgeting for a rifle right now. If I get confident LO will stick and not become some combined CO division I may do the pistol too but we'll see what the economy brings :)

DL first class and a pretty good GM too😉

On 4/12/2023 at 4:16 PM, Hammerman said:

I just sent my DS9 in for the new upgrades. The gun ran good before, I just wasn’t happy with the thumb safety as it kind of had 3 positions and was extremely sharp.  I ran the gun for 1 1/2 years before sending it in. I had an issue with a burr in the firing pin channel that was making the firing pin stick. I discovered the issue and took a round fill to it. It cost me a few seconds on one stage at double tap and the same on one stage at dragons cup. Other than that, the gun hasn’t malfunctioned yet using my reloads. MPA paid for all of the shipping and the upgrades were done for free. I had the gun back within a week. To me, this was extremely good customer service and the gun still runs perfectly. Everything on the gun was replaced except the slide, frame, sights, slide stop, and guide rod. The trigger slop is good now and the new, more aggressive grip is perfect traction. 

For the money and the awesome customer service, I have no complaints about recommending MPA. 

Also, the replaced my old original mags with new MBX mags 👍

Trigger slop, thumb safety issues, slide stop fitment..... All issues I've consistently seen documented with these guns, there's obvious problems in the production pipeline that need to be addressed. I'm sure Phil and David are stand up guys but this particular product line needs more refinement.

I had an early example MPA DS9.  Although it was a great shooter and accurate gun, there were a few things I wasn’t happy with. The grip was way too smooth, thumb safeties and beavertail not well blended and gave me constant hot spots, too much slop in the trigger shoe and although light not a crisp trigger at all. Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I reached out to David to address some of my issues. I had one of the BEST customer service experiences and genuine responses. I was emailed a prepaid label next day, got my gun back in about a week. They fit a new barrel, safeties, slide stop, trigger and fire control group, new aggressive grip and fixed beavertail, new magwell, 2 new MBX mags and the list goes on. The gun I received back addressed all my previous issues and shoots lights out. I would personally not hesitate to do business with them again and the experience gave me an unmatched warm and fuzzy feeling about MPA as a company. 

Edited by Adsai82

36 minutes ago, Adsai82 said:

I had an early example MPA DS9.  Although it was a great shooter and accurate gun, there were a few things I wasn’t happy with. The grip was way too smooth, thumb safeties and beavertail not well blended and gave me constant hot spots, too much slop in the trigger shoe and although light not a crisp trigger at all. Fast forward to a couple of months ago when I reached out to David to address some of my issues. I had one of the BEST customer service experiences and genuine responses. I was emailed a prepaid label next day, got my gun back in about a week. They fit a new barrel, safeties, slide stop, trigger and fire control group, new aggressive grip and fixed beavertail, new magwell, 2 new MBX mags and the list goes on. The gun I received back addressed all my previous issues and shoots lights out. I would personally not hesitate to do business with them again and the experience gave me an unmatched warm and fuzzy feeling about MPA as a company. 

Lucky! I didn't get 2 MBX mags when I sent mine in last year for the upgrades.

10 minutes ago, WildPete said:

Lucky! I didn't get 2 MBX mags when I sent mine in last year for the upgrades.

I should’ve been more clear, they swapped out my original MPA branded mags for 2 MBX ones. 

On 4/20/2023 at 1:25 AM, Adsai82 said:

I should’ve been more clear, they swapped out my original MPA branded mags for 2 MBX ones. 

I'll send David an email and see what he can do. I sent my mags in when I sent the pistol to get a refresh but still have the MPA-branded mags.  I met David over the weekend at the Falling Steel World Series match, cool guy. The worst they can say is, no.

• 9 months later...

I have not been on in awhile. I started this thread way back in 2021 when I got a DS9 Hybrid and was having mag issues. Ended up getting one of their Open Minor guns (Steel Challenge). It has become one of my favorite guns although had some trouble finding ammo that worked well in it. The Anderson's by Outdoor dynamics which David at MPA recommended do not work well in my gun. After a lot of trial and error I found the Federal Syntech 124 gr red coated rounds work very well. I use MBX mags but am planning to try some Atlas mags as well as I still occasionally have a round that won't quite feed. Gets hung up on the feed ramp or the spent case has an issue. But by and large this ammo works great.

Just curious, is Bobby kiegans involved in these pistols at all? I have an old freedom build from him that I'm still using and these guns from MPA look like the closest thing out there right now to his old builds. I love my gun and would love to get a second one day but would like it similar to what I'm currently using

3 hours ago, Desmo412 said:

Just curious, is Bobby kiegans involved in these pistols at all? I have an old freedom build from him that I'm still using and these guns from MPA look like the closest thing out there right now to his old builds. I love my gun and would love to get a second one day but would like it similar to what I'm currently using

I believe Bobby was initially involved but sold out to MPA

On 4/20/2023 at 1:25 AM, Adsai82 said:

I forgot about this post and my reply about having sent my early serial # pistol in for service and not getting the MBX mags in exchange for the original mags. 

MPA delivered again! They did swap out the mags when I sent my original MPA mags in.

On 2/11/2024 at 3:43 PM, Csalt said:

I have not been on in awhile. I started this thread way back in 2021 when I got a DS9 Hybrid and was having mag issues. Ended up getting one of their Open Minor guns (Steel Challenge). It has become one of my favorite guns although had some trouble finding ammo that worked well in it. The Anderson's by Outdoor dynamics which David at MPA recommended do not work well in my gun. After a lot of trial and error I found the Federal Syntech 124 gr red coated rounds work very well. I use MBX mags but am planning to try some Atlas mags as well as I still occasionally have a round that won't quite feed. Gets hung up on the feed ramp or the spent case has an issue. But by and large this ammo works great.

Csalt, I've had a hybrid for about 4 months. I have about 4,000 rounds on it and use a mix of MBX and Atlas mags. I've had zero issues with either MBX or the Atlas magazines in the DS-9.

I did try a couple of Staccato magazines in it and had some issues with those magazines. The magazines are modified with an MBX follower and spring, so I'm not sure I'm the reason they act up. My Honcho doesn't feed well with the modified Staccato mags either. My Staccato has never had an issue with the modified Staccato mags.

I've been shooting my IDPA matches with my MPA DS9 IDPA for a little over a year. I don't practice much and uses the monthly matches as my "practice" sessions.  In the previous matches, I've always ranked slightly above average shooting my Canik TP9 SFx.  Well, last month, I ended up in the top 30% ranking! Me and the gun was "one". Still love my DS9 and glad I made the purchase. Initially I had some MBX mag feeding issues but after a visit to the friendly techs at MBX in Loudon, TN, They tweaked the feed lips and replaced the followers, my feeding problem was completely eliminated!  David Lyell, MPA DS Production Manager sent me a new slide lock lever to test, that also made my DS9 100% reliable. Wonderful team at MPA to work with.  Kudos to MPA and MBX team for their assistance. Keep up the amazing work! Bottom line, my double tap is faster due to less muzzle rise from the pistol.😀