Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

crimping for 9mm revolver

SIGcurious

For those shooting a 929 (or other 9mm revolver), what type of crimp are you using?  If reloading on a Dillon, are you using the standard 9mm die?  I normally load a FMJ bullet with a taper crimp, but I'm getting some coated lead bullets (never used before) and was just thinking if I should use a die that puts a profile crimp on it, but Dillon doesn't have an "Accu-crimp" die for 9mm.  I'm probably over-thinking this ...

thanks

I use a Lee fcd.  I just kept crimping until no more creep on rounds 7&8

honestly never measured it.  There is an indentation on coated rounds but doesn’t affect accuracy 

Edited by MikeyScuba

On 4/15/2021 at 10:08 AM, MikeyScuba said:

I use a Lee fcd.  I just kept crimping until no more creep on rounds 7&8 honestly never measured it.  There is an indentation on coated rounds but doesn’t affect accuracy 

Yep, and I use a Lee U sizing die.

1 hour ago, SIGcurious said:

What is the advantage of the U die when shooting revolver ... little to no crimp needed?

It is case mouth tension that holds the bullet in an auto-loading cartridge. A U die gives more case mouth tension, add just enough taper crimp to remove the flair. Since going that route I haven't had a single instance of lose powder in the cylinder. Prior to that I had a few.