Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to do if rudy project can't make your prescription?

Obvious

This year I'm looking to take uspsa more seriously and figured it'd be best to invest in some actual protective shooting glasses as I've just been wearing my normal prescription glasses to matches. Nobody there has given me any s#!t about it, but I thought someone at a higher level match may. Everyone here seems to recommend rudy project and I really like some of their frames, but their RX inserts only go up to +4.00 and one of my eyes goes to +4.50. So can I buy the insert itself and have a local optometrist make the lenses? Or do I just need to go a completely different route? 

I have the same issue. I just went to my optometrist and told them what I needed. They sent me links to several “safety glasses” vendors they do business with. There were plenty of choices of styles and colors.

22 minutes ago, Mcfoto said:

I have the same issue. I just went to my optometrist and told them what I needed. They sent me links to several “safety glasses” vendors they do business with. There were plenty of choices of styles and colors.

That's good to hear! I'm really hoping for a pair similar to the rudy project glasses, that have a swappable lens so I can change them according to the lighting. Did you have any options like that available to you, or were the frames fixed? 

2 minutes ago, jeffz said:

I too went to my optometrist. They did a "shooting prescription". The insert lenses were replaced with the prescription lenses. The insert can then be used with your desired Rudy Project glasses.

From what I've seen online it looks like the range of prescriptions offered largely depends on what equipment the shop has, so I'm gonna need to do a little looking around. 

Edited by Obvious

I have the Rudy Projects with the insert/hanger in them.  My optometrist has never had an issue putting my prescription in the hanger and my prescription is in the BAT BLIND QUINTAFOCAL category.  I do understand that putting a high prescription in the curved primary lens can be a challenge, the Oakley rep actually laughed when asked if it was possible.  I like the hanger setup because I can change the primary lens based on the conditions (I have lens sets ranging from clear to the mirror dark sunglasses) and Rudy's hanger far more solid than the hangers I have had in other makes.

I buy the inserts and have them made in my prescription.  I go for the uber premium lenses with all the coatings so they filter the light like a quality optic.  I have had my Rudy Project glasses since 2014 and they are awesome.  I am about to get a new prescription actually.

• 3 weeks later...

Rudy’s for me I have two inserts. One regular prescription and the other is left eye distance and the right for the front sight. Switch them out to whatever I’m shooting. My optometrist sells Rudy’s so not an issue.