Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell casings piling up on case feeder funnel

I have been having intermittent trouble with shell casings piling up in the funnel on the case feeder. 

The case feeder is on the Dillon mount as well as mounted to a shelf behind it. It is very stable. It doesn't shake at all. 

Not too sure if this is a common problem. 

Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct the problem. I don't like getting a brass shower. 

Jeff

Happens on my 650 every now and then also. I usually catch it before it overflows though. I know when I hear the plate keep turning w/o stopping to look up there. Hard to say why one gets cocked in the mouth of the funnel causing the backup. 

8 hours ago, ddc said:

I'm seeing the same thing. It's been happening more often lately. 

I don't recall it happening that frequently when the feeder was new.

I was thinking about the same thing. I don't recall it happening when my 650 was newer. 

It happens when I load 223 and 308, but not 30-06

1 thing I did that helped but didn’t totally stop it was I clean the inside of the funnel

after 25 years of lubed cases going down it the inside got a little sticky

I put a piece of card stock in the funnel to take up some of the space and have not had the brass shower since. 

I wonder if anyone is making a printed funnel space for the Dillon case feeder?

12 hours ago, Jsjac said:

I put a piece of card stock in the funnel to take up some of the space and have not had the brass shower since. 

Please post a picture of this. I don't have a lot off issues with this, but if a simple fix like this is available, I'd sure give it a try. 

I would buy a printed spacer if I could find one. 

I loaded about 750 rounds yesterday without a brass shower. 

Going to be starting on a 1000 rounds tonight. I will report back tomorrow morning. 

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

1 hour ago, Jsjac said:

Going to be starting on a 1000 rounds tonight. I will report back tomorrow morning. 

_IMG_000000_000000.jpg

What is in the shell feeder spillway?

I put a piece of card stock to help with the 9mm brass getting stuck sideways in the funnel. 

All it does is take up some of the space in the funnel and keeps it from tipping sideways. 

7 minutes ago, Jsjac said:

I put a piece of card stock to help with the 9mm brass getting stuck sideways in the funnel. 

All it does is take up some of the space in the funnel and keeps it from tipping sideways. 

It looks like there is something above the funnel spacer card.

I am using the small pistol plate and running it on the low setting. 

The casings are piling up in the funnel.

After I put the card stock in the funnel it has stopped happening. 

I will try the plastic because it looks like a better solution than the card stock. 

On 4/15/2021 at 4:27 PM, Jsjac said:

Thanks, I'll give that a try. 

Mine just started doing this. I cleaned it really good and then hit it with some Armor All. I loaded about 600 after and it didn't give any problems.

It seems like the inside of the funnel gets scuffed from normal wear and the cases don't slide in as easy. 

I am having the same problem with a rock steady bench setup. Driving me so crazy I was thinking of getting a Mark 7 case feeder. I will try the spacer and Armour All ideas. I wish someone would come up with a permanent solution. I will be watching this thread intently for any further developments.