Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Know What May Be Causing the "Sticking"

Flea

Not a gunsmith. Gen 5 G34 with mag in it with no ammo. Gun and factory mags were brand new when I bought it in Feb 2020. Wolf 13lb recoil spring. About 3,300 rounds on it. The gun was cleaned and lubed one week ago.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

1 hour ago, Flea said:

A Wolf spring wears out after only 3,000 rounds?

Test it with your stock recoil assembly and see if slide goes into battery. If not, then weak spring or guide rod is bend.

Edited by jerseyglock

2 hours ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello, If the magazine has no rounds in it the slide stop is riding on the slide causing friction. Thanks, Eric

This is with a full mag of dummy rounds.

Well I probably should have taken off the slide before posting the first video. When I did take off the slide and pulled out my after-market SS captured guide rod, the spring and the cap flew off. I was shooting yesterday and noticed a small screw sitting on the port bench and had no idea what it was. I didn't even know if it was from my gun but I took it home just in case. Well that screw is the one that holds the guide rod cap in place and somehow it came out of the gun while shooting (it had some V3 on it). So I thought that must have been what was causing the sticking. I put it back together again and it was still sticking. No sticking with the factory guide rod or a 14lb Wolf spring on my SS guide rod. Live and learn.

Im not sure Id even worry about it. Has the pistol ever had a failure to feed or go into battery? Ive ran the same two 11lb/13lb ISMI recoil springs in my G34 for ~15k to ~20k rounds and never experienced problems. Especially with a full mag inserted, that's a lot to ask. The point of a reduced power recoil spring is to not have the slide slam home as hard as factory. 

6 hours ago, Flea said:

A Wolf spring wears out after only 3,000 rounds?

It can. You have to check it to know. With any aftermarket parts used in the recoil spring assembly they, too, have to be considered as a possible cause. 

Here's a short video that mirrors what is taught at the factory and armorers courses, but this guy is not publicizing himself as an employee or either. 

It a minute and a half. Nice and short. 

As said, it's the recoil spring.  Aftermarket Glock recoil springs aren't really designed for the Gen 5, although lots of people are using them on Gen 5s anyway.  The Gen 5 17/34 recoil spring is longer than previous generations, so if using an aftermarket spring designed for Gen 1-4 Glocks, when in battery the spring is under less pre-tension holding the slide closed.

Hello, the length of the area that the spring has to work with on the Gen 5 is only about 0.200" longer than the Gen 1-3. I have not tested the installed tension difference between the Gen 1-3 and Gen 5 when installed in the pistol using a Gen 1-3 spring. Thanks, Eric 

1 hour ago, Southpaw said:

As said, it's the recoil spring.  Aftermarket Glock recoil springs aren't really designed for the Gen 5, although lots of people are using them on Gen 5s anyway.  The Gen 5 17/34 recoil spring is longer than previous generations, so if using an aftermarket spring designed for Gen 1-4 Glocks, when in battery the spring is under less pre-tension holding the slide closed.

I talked to Mike at Jentra a bit about this and they should be releasing a gen 5 specific guide rod shortly. He said the gen 5s are a little longer than the gen 4s.

Carver custom has specific rods for the 34.5. I have one each for the ISMI and Wolff springs. His bushing fits both rods. Been using them for over 6 months with no issues. The striker and recoil springs work against each other. You have to find the right combo to reliably lock the slide. The factory 5lb striker with the oem 17 lb recoil is about a 3to1 ratio. I try and keep that. So for me that was a 4.5 striker with a 13lb recoil. 

9 hours ago, rooster said:

Carver custom has specific rods for the 34.5. I have one each for the ISMI and Wolff springs. His bushing fits both rods. Been using them for over 6 months with no issues. The striker and recoil springs work against each other. You have to find the right combo to reliably lock the slide. The factory 5lb striker with the oem 17 lb recoil is about a 3to1 ratio. I try and keep that. So for me that was a 4.5 striker with a 13lb recoil. 

I was looking at the Wolff website last night, and unless I missed something, it said this about their recoil springs:

NOTE: Not for use in Generation 4 & 5 models.

Lots of you seem to be using Wolff springs in the 34/5 so what's the deal?

Thx

8 minutes ago, Flea said:

I was looking at the Wolff website last night, and unless I missed something, it said this about their recoil springs:

NOTE: Not for use in Generation 4 & 5 models.

Lots of you seem to be using Wolff springs in the 34/5 so what's the deal?

Thx

Have no idea. Been using ISMI and Wolff for about 8 months with no problems. As a matter of fact at 25 yards my groups were all over a uspsa target. When I switched to a 13 lb. spring I was able to keep them all in the A zone. The Carver guide rod is longer than the gen 3 ( don’t know about the 4), but the length of spring that I’m using is the same in both guns.

2 hours ago, rooster said:

Have no idea. Been using ISMI and Wolff for about 8 months with no problems. As a matter of fact at 25 yards my groups were all over a uspsa target. When I switched to a 13 lb. spring I was able to keep them all in the A zone. The Carver guide rod is longer than the gen 3 ( don’t know about the 4), but the length of spring that I’m using is the same in both guns.

I spoke to the GM at Wolff and he set my straight. Even though the Wolff website says the springs aren't for Gen 4 or 5 guns, that's not totally accurate. Their springs will work in Gen 4 and 5 guns as long as you have a guide rod that will work in a Gen 4 or 5 gun. Meaning the after-market GR has something on the end that will capture the spring and the GR is the appropriate diameter.

• 1 month later...

I'm late to the party, but I'd like to add...  drop of oil on the locking block, and on the barrel where it interfaces with the locking block, and it might fix it.

My new Gen 5 G34 did the same thing with a new 13 lbs ISMI spring.   A little oil in the right place and it closed just fine, even in slow motion.

The 15 pound spring worked with or without oil, but sometimes malfunctioned when I had 1 in the chamber and was using the brand new 10-round mags (NY).     After they break in, and I use a slightly lighter striker spring, 15 might be an option again.

Edited by matto6