Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Are IWB holsters now legal?

Nimitz

I recently saw a YouTube Channel video review of the new rules which stated that it was now legal to use IWB holsters but didn't see any specific reference to it in the rules updates.  Did I just miss it or are they specifically not allowed.  Please cite the actual rule if you know it, thx!

6 minutes ago, Nimitz said:

I recently saw a YouTube Channel video review of the new rules which stated that it was now legal to use IWB holsters but didn't see any specific reference to it in the rules updates.  Did I just miss it or are they specifically not allowed.  Please cite the actual rule if you know it, thx!

IWB holsters have always been legal because they've never been prohibited.

What is legal now is placing the holster anywhere along your belt in Production, Carry Optics, and Single Stack.

IWB vs OWB has never mattered. 

1 hour ago, SGT_Schultz said:

IWB holsters have always been legal because they've never been prohibited.

What is legal now is placing the holster anywhere along your belt in Production, Carry Optics, and Single Stack.

IWB vs OWB has never mattered. 

What mattered was pointing the gun too far to the rear when holstering an IWB that has an FBI cant.

19 hours ago, broadside72 said:

That still matters. 5.2.7.3

How practical is it to enforce that?

We can sweep ourselves with a loaded gun when drawing or holstering, but a pistol in its holster is dangerous pointing at the ground 37" away?

LOL

Edited by SGT_Schultz

3 hours ago, waktasz said:

It is to the guys behind you

I've never seen a holster with more than 25 degrees of fwd rake.  I'll let you work out the trig.

Suffice it to say that I simply don't give a crap about that particular rule.  There's bigger fish to fry safety-wise.

5 minutes ago, SGT_Schultz said:

I've never seen a holster with more than 25 degrees of fwd rake.  I'll let you work out the trig.

Suffice it to say that I simply don't give a crap about that particular rule.  There's bigger fish to fry safety-wise.

FBI cants are fine but I bet you would worry about that rule if someone walked up with one of the old SOB holsters that were popular for carry till people figured out falling one one was bad 1997-single-sob-small-of-back-holster-optimum-conceal-carry.jpg.d3da4d201a2a8935a479373766751597.jpg

Edited by MikeBurgess
add picture

56 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

FBI cants are fine but I bet you would worry about that rule if someone walked up with one of the old SOB holsters that were popular for carry till people figured out falling one one was bad 1997-single-sob-small-of-back-holster-optimum-conceal-carry.jpg.d3da4d201a2a8935a479373766751597.jpg

The conversation is about IWB holsters.  I have no idea what this strawman argument has to do with anything.

7 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

How practical is it to enforce that?

We can sweep ourselves with a loaded gun when drawing or holstering, but a pistol in its holster is dangerous pointing at the ground 37" away?

LOL

It's a bit hard to enforce and if all other safety rules are followed this should not be an issue, but that does not mean the rules isn't there.

16 hours ago, SGT_Schultz said:

The conversation is about IWB holsters.  I have no idea what this strawman argument has to do with anything.

wasn't making a straw man argument I was merely countering your statement that you "don't give a crap about that rule"  by showing that back in the day there was a real reason for said rule to exist. 

6 hours ago, MikeBurgess said:

wasn't making a straw man argument I was merely countering your statement that you "don't give a crap about that rule"  by showing that back in the day there was a real reason for said rule to exist. 

I was going to reply, but that would be adding fuel to the ridiculous fire.

You win

On 3/19/2021 at 12:59 PM, Ted Murphy said:

IWB steel illegal for Steel Challenge. 

Nope.  Legal.

Concealment, however, is not legal.

Have an IWB holster with no cover over it?  Legal.  Pull a shirt over it to practice from concealment?  Not legal.

18 hours ago, teros135 said:

Steel Challenge rules

Due to the unique nature of the Steel Challenge, drawing from concealment
or from inside the waist band
is not allowed.

Ah, thank you. 

(I wonder when that change happened?  Or if I missed it originally? I remember clearly the "from concealment" part, but I don't recall the "or from inside the waistband" part.)

31 minutes ago, teros135 said:

Well, the rules seem to be somewhat "fluid"...😊

Eh, I find that the changelogs are pretty solid.  I don't see this in the most current changelog, so....apparently I missed it from before. 

Like I said, I appreciate you correcting my mistake!

The "or from inside the waistband" was added for Steel Challenge in the March 2020 rules update.  The reason was that "In some locales, IWB is legally considered to be concealed."

On 3/25/2021 at 9:17 PM, JodiH said:

The "or from inside the waistband" was added for Steel Challenge in the March 2020 rules update.  The reason was that "In some locales, IWB is legally considered to be concealed."

Ah.  Hm.  I wonder how I missed that?  I normally try to carefully read through all the changelogs with the rules when changes occur.    (Off to go check to see if I kept a copy of the March 2020 changelog...)

Regarding why it is important---in IDPA or USPSA, you won't (unless something has gone very, very wrong) have to draw 39 times in a match.  More particularly, you definitely won't be holstering a loaded gun 39 times in either of those matches.  My assumption is that they didn't want to have that much happening from concealment.  (And considering that SC is all about speed, "concealment" makes little sense for anyone attempting to do well at the sport, so they wouldn't be making that choice in the first place.  That is separate from people wanting trigger time with their carry gun, obviously.)