Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AXG Grip?

Doge

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, jaep1911 said:

I had to use a little bit of elbow grease to install the roll pin back in. The holes were not completely aligned.  The installation needed some hard pounding. 

Mine is going to require a drill first. The brass is 1/4 the way obscuring the roll pin hole and yet also is the same amount longer than the back strap. 

This is a general curiosity question. I handled an AXG Pro this week in a store and grip felt slightly shorter than what I expected of a full sized gun. Magwell opening was more or less flush in my hand, usually full sized guns protrude a little. Or so it seemed. 

Was I imagining it? Is AXG same height as TXG?

On 12/7/2021 at 12:16 PM, rowdyb said:

Got my brass back strap. It will need significant fitting per my email w Lok after I saw how it was not plug and play. It is 2.0 ounces heavier that the g10 back strap. 

my Lok was a tight fit but the holes lined up, thankfully

On 12/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, YVK said:

This is a general curiosity question. I handled an AXG Pro this week in a store and grip felt slightly shorter than what I expected of a full sized gun. Magwell opening was more or less flush in my hand, usually full sized guns protrude a little. Or so it seemed. 

Was I imagining it? Is AXG same height as TXG?

Lengths are the same but the AXG has less girth

On 11/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, jaep1911 said:

Here you go.

56C594E6-79FA-491A-BC92-B4C0214DCBB3.jpeg

Wow. Very nice looking setup.  I just purchased an AXG Scorpion, it get so nice in hands and have been considering setting up a competition version of the AXG.  I really like your setup. 

22 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Got it installlled and shot it in a class today. I really like it. the gun with SRO, empty 23 round mag and other mods now weighs 39.0 ounces. Kind of makes me want to try the complete brass grips.

you should. You’ll love the grass grip panels. they just feel so natural to me.

by the way, I’m assuming that your gun setup is based on the AXG Pro per the other thread. If my assumption is correct, how is its overall shootability in competition, compared to ? 5” X Five variants? 

It is an axg pro. I like this just fine vs something a little longer. To me the contour of the txg/x5 legion grip just doesn't work at all, so the completely different grip shape is what I love most about it. The slide cuts definitely give it an interesting look as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don’t know if I’d let it fully replace my TXG for competition, but I will say the AXG (the Pro) is the best feeling version of the P320 so far. Two of mine have Wilson frames but that AXG is a couple steps above for me. 

Gets ya just a little closer to thinking you finally saved enough money for a super fancy 2011 type, if you close your eyes and hold your tongue right 😂 just don’t expect the trigger to complete the illusion 

On 2/11/2022 at 7:13 PM, Bostenelli said:

I preferred the axg over the x5 legion. It seemed to snap back to zero better. I did have to put some talon grips on as the aluminum wasn’t grippy. 

This is my thought as well. I really did not like the X5 legion when I had one, but with the AXG, I like how the Pro handles more than my old Shadow 0. 

I ended up using the G10 grips from LOK and silicon carbide-ing them. Added a Steel backstrap from Armory Craft and it's as well balanced as I could ask for. 

I shot a few stages with an AXG/Lok brass grips 320 last week and liked it a lot, everything felt a little more communicative with really good ergonomics. I did not like the recoil impulse though, and this is one of the major reasons I shoot my 320s over my Shadow2 at times for Carry Optics. I’m not recoil sensitive at all, but the way the polymer or TXG chassis flexes allows the gun to absorb a lot of recoil and tracks a red dot better than most by keeping the dot in the glass during quick double taps, whereas the AXG has a sharp recoil impulse that made me loose the dot during a good part of every shot (which is something I don’t do even on most full metal guns). I’m sure with more practice, this is something I could get used to, but I think there you’re removing one of the major advantages of the P320 over other competition platforms by swapping to a more expensive metal chassis. I still think a slightly modified TXG chassis is the way to go with the 320s for competition. 

88F358BF-7364-4B81-8D79-F04F8EFA5B6D.jpeg

Edited by Rjracing

17 minutes ago, Rjracing said:

I shot a few stages with an AXG/Lok brass grips 320 last week and liked it a lot, everything felt a little more communicative with really good ergonomics. I did not like the recoil impulse though, and this is one of the major reasons I shoot my 320s over my Shadow2 at times for Carry Optics. I’m not recoil sensitive at all, but the way the polymer or TXG chassis flexes allows the gun to absorb a lot of recoil and tracks a red dot better than most by keeping the dot in the glass during quick double taps, whereas the AXG has a sharp recoil impulse that made me loose the dot during a good part of every shot (which is something I don’t do even on most full metal guns). I’m sure with more practice, this is something I could get used to, but I think there you’re removing one of the major advantages of the P320 over other competition platforms by swapping to a more expensive metal chassis. I still think a slightly modified TXG chassis is the way to go with the 320s for competition. 

88F358BF-7364-4B81-8D79-F04F8EFA5B6D.jpeg

I'm probably in the minority, but I felt like the TXG was too heavy and unwieldy. The AXG definitely has a sharper recoil impulse but it is much easier for me to tame. Not having any issues tracking the dot or it leaving the window with a 509T, which is a smaller window than the dots I was using before. 

Edited by touji

12 minutes ago, touji said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I felt like the TXG was too heavy and unwieldy. The AXG definitely has a sharper recoil impulse but it is much easier for me to tame. Not having any issues tracking the dot or it leaving the window with a 509T, which is a smaller window than the dots I was using before. 

If you weren’t used to the weight, I could understand that. My X5 and legion are both 10oz+ lighter than my CZs, so they feel like featherweights to me lol

Shadow 2 with brass grips, definitely a heavy one. I was shooting Shadow 1s with regular G10s and I feel like the AXG Pro is much closer to that weight distribution. For a CO gun, I definitely was not used to it, hah! 

20 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Did the Cerakote make the grips more slick?

Yes, a little.  That’s the one thing that I’m not very fond of.  The gun set up the way I have it shoots very smooth, probably better than my legions.  But I still like the Romeo 3 max better.  I had my Legion slides milled to direct-mount them about a month before the P320Max came out.  It’s a fun project, but for now, I’m still shooting the Legions.

59 minutes ago, idleclamp said:

The gun set up the way I have it shoots very smooth, probably better than my legions.  But I still like the Romeo 3 max better.

I feel the same way, except I think I like the AXG Pro a little better.  It seems easier to transition.  I am still playing a bit and have not compared them on the clock yet.  I think I want to try an AXG module using an P320 Max slide and barrel.  Not sure if that would be better, but I do like the palm swells the AXG allows you to install.  More surface area to grip for certain. 

I did find the AXG shoots super flat out of the box.  I purchased a 1911 style guide rod and spring from springer, but I am not sure it needs it.  There also may be some benefit to a smaller slide and barrel for the 9mm platform.  It is closer to the same length as my Atlas Athena, and the return to zero on that gun is unreal.

I am not a fan of the brass color though. At the end of the day ascetics mean nothing on the clock so they will most likely stay the brass color.   

Are you running the brass back strap as well?

Edited by Boomstick303

• 2 weeks later...

I have been wanting an extended mag release for the AXG grip. Armory Craft still does not have it in stock. I don’t see anyone else carrying or developing one. The AXG grip is almost perfect. Almost.