Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mixing small pistol primers?

RangerX1911

I usually use Win Small Pistol, but as beggars can't be choosers...  With the recent insanity around components, I've only been able to scrounge a hundred here, hundred there - of different manufacturer.

Is there any issue in mixing them, both from a safety and an accuracy perspective?  I'd hate to have to rework the rest of the load for each batch of primers...

Thanks!

In my experience it is not enough to make a difference. In the past I have used Winchester, CCI,  Federal, Magtech and S&B. I loaded them with the same load and did not see any significant difference at 25 yards. I am also not a bullseye shooter either. So my eyes would make more difference than the primer.

You shouldn't get any issues when mixing primers in a pistol, revolvers are a different story. I'm a bullseye shooter, and for pistols we generally use what we can get. Unless it's the white box of Russian decent I think it is, then you could encounter endless headaches.

never noticed a velocity difference that couldnt be to other variables that just occur loading different days or batches.

Id keep a single brand for your "need for chrono"  but other wise, wouldnt worry.
I used to load my match ammo with WSP and my practice with Wolff,,, gave me training for misfire drills. :),,,,   they were a bit hard.. Velocity was the same though

On 1/31/2021 at 9:47 AM, RangerX1911 said:

I usually use Win Small Pistol, but as beggars can't be choosers...  With the recent insanity around components, I've only been able to scrounge a hundred here, hundred there - of different manufacturer.

Is there any issue in mixing them, both from a safety and an accuracy perspective?  I'd hate to have to rework the rest of the load for each batch of primers...

Thanks!

you won't notice any difference.

• 2 weeks later...

Other than needing FEDs for tuned revo use, shoot what you can get these days.  It is rough out there!  

Never noticed a significant difference (other than perhaps seating effort) with swapping in commonly used standard pistol primer brands for an existing well below MAX load. 

Certainly I have preferences, but can't be too picky at the moment.