Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Left or Right charging for 10/22

zzt

Left or right charging for 10/22 in SCSA  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer

• Left Charging
    • Right Charging

After using a left side charging for almost 2 years now I'll not be buying anything else. It's also nice to have a little extra light around the chamber to actually see clear when someone has a weak extractor that leaves a round behind.

My PCC is left charge as is my wife's 22 RFRO as there are advantages to clearing with the left hand... My RFRO is right hand but I have not found it to be as big a problem as I first thought... I keep my right hand on the grip and roll the rifle to the right and reach under and around the receiver with my left hand to clear a malfunction with the ejection port pointed almost down it usually clears just fine

1 hour ago, BentAero said:

At the risk of hijack, I'm shopping for a new left-charging receiver and leaning toward a MR Switchbolt. What others should I be looking at?

MR switchbolt and tactical innovations are the only two I know of, other that TK has a rail adapter that has the left side handle.

7 hours ago, BentAero said:

At the risk of hijack, I'm shopping for a new left-charging receiver and leaning toward a MR Switchbolt. What others should I be looking at?

I'm running a couple of Tactical Innovations left side charging receivers. Do not use their trigger housing, they just put Ruger BX trigger parts in it.

10 hours ago, BentAero said:

I looked hard at the Switchbolt and the Tactical Innovations.  I went with the TI receiver and bolt and Kidd single stage trigger.  Super happy.  Everything is super slick.  I had to polish nothing.

12 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

I've never used a left side one for SCSA, but I figure if you need to use the charging handle, your string is toast anyway, so the position isn't as important.  

You can clear the FtF in less than a second and you don't even move the rifle off target.

49 minutes ago, zzt said:

You can clear the FtF in less than a second and you don't even move the rifle off target.

less than a sec???  maybe from the time you touch the racker and the time you release it...but when runs are in the 2 second range - that run is toast...

15 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

I also voted for a left hand charging handle...  I'm used to ARs and PCC carbines...  I borrowed a friends right handed RFRO about a year ago and found it to be awkward...  Now I'm building one and it will be left hand charging.

Same here... i have left on my PC Carbine, but my 10/22 only has the right side option

17 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

I've never used a left side one for SCSA, but I figure if you need to use the charging handle, your string is toast anyway, so the position isn't as important.  

That's absolutely correct...  I just found the right side charging handle to be super awkward in general.

Looked at the Magnum Research receiver first but found it difficult to find one, plus it was a proprietary bolt/charging handle setup...  Several friends bought complete MR rifles and slipped them into Wiland chassis systems, but that was too expensive for me...  I checked out the Tactical Innovations receiver and talked to @Gregg Kabout his and decided to try one...  I have all the parts except the Wiland chassis and barrel.

Well the theory is sound but at least for me, if there are any failures on the gun, that string is toast no matter how fast I can clear them.  But my current goal is to beat the 100% peak time so every hundredth of a second matters.

Heck, if there was a setup with no bolt handle that required a tool to rack it, I'd do it, if that got me 100% reliability on the gun.  

18 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

Well the theory is sound but at least for me, if there are any failures on the gun, that string is toast no matter how fast I can clear them.  But my current goal is to beat the 100% peak time so every hundredth of a second matters.

For you, I agree.  For me, at 73, there is no way on Earth I will ever shoot anywhere near Peak Time.  I've been trying hard to make Class A for the past two or three years, depending on Division.  Every time I get within a second they change Peak Times and I'm back to 4-5 seconds out.  Same for RFPO.  So left charging is a real advantage to me.  Sometimes the string where I cleared the FtF is not the throw away.  BTW, 99.9% of the time the problem is caused by ammo that did not go bang.

Edited by zzt