Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9MM Major Load Data Questions

czebin

After shooting limited in .40 I ended up buying a CZ Czechmate in 9mm. I am planning on shooting major and have a bunch of 125gr Zero JHP's and 8lbs of VV 3n38. Anyone had success with this combo? 

Edited by czebin

8 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

You might have a hard time fitting enough powder in a 9mm with 3n38. I would recommend HS6 or Shooters World Major Pistol

Are the 125's ok or would you load 115's?

Edited by czebin

I have loaded 125 Gr BB with 9.56 Gr of AA7 @ 1.165-1.168” OAL for 175 PF. My czechmate’s barrel has been reamed to allow for longer OAL. 

Prior to reaming the barrel, I have loaded the same bullets with 6.7 Gr of CFE pistol (same as WAC) @ 1.145-1.150” OAL for 170 PF.

1 hour ago, czebin said:

After shooting limited in .40 I ended up buying a CZ Czechmate in 9mm. I am planning on shooting major and have a bunch of 125gr Zero JHP's and 8lbs of VV 3n38. Anyone had success with this combo? 

Get the barrel reamed and start at 8.5gr of VV3N38 @ 1.160. You should be close or right at major

The idea is to make as much gas as possible in 9mm major.  That means lots of slow powders, preferably with one that doesn't spill out when the shell plate turns.  A shooting buddy who shoots a CM used 124s and CFE (like WAC).  He constantly complained about muzzle rise.  I gave him some SWMP powder to try.  He loaded some up and loved it.  He told me it felt like cheating.  When my SWMP is used up I'm switching to AA7.  It is more consistent lot to lot. 

BTW, 10.2gr does not spill when my shell plate rotates.  3N38 does.  I'd buy AA7 and use up your 3N38 for minor loads.  That's what I'm doing.  I bought 12 lbs. of 3N38 before I finished building the gun.  Once built I discovered I could not fit enough 3N38 in the case to make major with a 115.  So now I use it for minor SCSA Open loads.

My Infinity 9 open loved 10grs of Shooters World Major - soft and flat. Tried the same load in the Akai 9 open that I picked up, it was horrible - dot jumped out of glass at 2, came back in at 3....switched back to my go to load of 7.2 WAC, pistol shoots as flat as anything I've owned - just trying the say that different powders will shoot completely different in different guns. Need to try them. You'll end up with a mess trying to run 3N38 in 9 major - spillage due to the full case is pain in the tail..

Edited by falconpilot

18 hours ago, falconpilot said:

My Infinity 9 open loved 10grs of Shooters World Major - soft and flat. Tried the same load in the Akai 9 open that I picked up, it was horrible - dot jumped out of glass at 2, came back in at 3....switched back to my go to load of 7.2 WAC, pistol shoots as flat as anything I've owned - just trying the say that different powders will shoot completely different in different guns. Need to try them. You'll end up with a mess trying to run 3N38 in 9 major - spillage due to the full case is pain in the tail..

What bullets where you running with the akai 

4 minutes ago, czebin said:

I appreciate all of the responses. I ended up selling the 3n38 after reading this and got some WAC. I'm going to start there!

I and a few others here have been using WAC for years. It works better than well enough. 

31 minutes ago, czebin said:

I appreciate all of the responses. I ended up selling the 3n38 after reading this and got some WAC. I'm going to start there!

Okay to start there with 124/5s.  I like Silhouette a little bit better than WAC, but they are so close you can skip that one.  Next up the list is HS-6.  It is dirty and in every gun I tried it in the dot does not track properly.  I'd recommend skipping that one too.  So the next logical step is the slower powders.  You can forget anything Alliant makes, and pretty much everything else that is flake.  So buy a pound of AA7 and give that a go.  If you don't like it, stay with WAC.  Of all the Open shooters I know 124s over WAC is the most popular load.

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

I and a few others here have been using WAC for years. It works better than well enough. 

👍 agree. I’m running 6.8gr Autocomp with a 124jhp at 1.155 in my BUL SAS II UR and it make 169pf here in SWFL.  Runs the gun super flat and the dot barely moves.  

Are there different models of the Czechmate? I ordered one with the grips like the new TSO and on the CZ website it shows a different version with different grips and no predrilled holes for a *thumb rest [generic]* on the optic mount. Anyone know the differences between these 2 or which one is the newest model?

4 hours ago, czebin said:

Are there different models of the Czechmate? I ordered one with the grips like the new TSO and on the CZ website it shows a different version with different grips and no predrilled holes for a *thumb rest [generic]* on the optic mount. Anyone know the differences between these 2 or which one is the newest model?

The stock CM picture on CZ USA's website appears to be an early model.  Zoom in on the serial number and you'll see the number "9" before the proof symbol and the SN starting with an "A".  My CZ has "17" before the proof mark, "C" serial number prefix and the extra holes drilled for the t-rest on the optic mount.

12 hours ago, czebin said:

My '19 one came with the adjustable thumb rest holes drilled and the black aluminum grips like the TSO. 

16 hours ago, TJ_FARMER said:

Isnt 169 cutting it close? I usually load 172 incase my gun looks at the chrony the wrong way and reads low

Not if your SDs are low.  My major load is 169 PF and the slowest shot in a fifteen shot string is 168.  The slowest shot I have ever recorded with this load made 167.