Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Undersized Sizing Die

I have been using EGW undersized sizing dies for both 45ACP and 40S&W with great success. I have been looking for one in 9mm with no success. Is there a difference between the EGW and the Lee die? I know back in the day the EGW would grind the bottom of the Lee die. I don’t know if this is still the case. 

Are their any alternatives? How about the Mighty Armory TNT sizing die. A great deal more expensive but it seems to be available. Never used any of their dies. What are others’ experiences?

Thanks.

35 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

I was wondering how the Lee U die differed from the EGW Lee undersized die?

I had both in 9mm & I can't tell the difference. They both came in the same red Lee plastic container; even the sku/part# on the label were the same I think. 

The EGW die is also made by Lee but is 0.001 inch undersize while the Lee U die is 0.003 undersize I believe. Sadly I can't compare as I only have a U die.

I do have a MA 9mm sizer (bought a few years ago) and it is gathering dust.

Edited by RGA

After hearing over and over that the the only difference between the EGW Undersized die and the standard Lee (or any other) was that the bottom was surface ground, George at EGW came on here a long time ago to explain that isn't exactly true. The EGW is a custom made by Lee, but to their specs. He said it is .001" undersized and that accounts for the coke bottle effect on finished rounds. 

Looking on their website it says .003" smaller, so I may be wrong about what I remember him saying back then.

https://www.egwguns.com/undersize-reloading-die-9mm-luger

(under the Product Details tab)

24 minutes ago, ima45dv8 said:

After hearing over and over that the the only difference between the EGW Undersized die and the standard Lee (or any other) was that the bottom was surface ground, George at EGW came on here a long time ago to explain that isn't exactly true. The EGW is a custom made by Lee, but to their specs. He said it is .001" undersized and that accounts for the coke bottle effect on finished rounds. 

Looking on their website it says .003" smaller, so I may be wrong about what I remember him saying back then.

https://www.egwguns.com/undersize-reloading-die-9mm-luger

(under the Product Details tab)

Just checked the Lee web site and the description says theirs is also .003 undersize.

11 hours ago, cbrussell said:

I have been using EGW undersized sizing dies for both 45ACP and 40S&W with great success. I have been looking for one in 9mm with no success. Is there a difference between the EGW and the Lee die? I know back in the day the EGW would grind the bottom of the Lee die. I don’t know if this is still the case. 

Are their any alternatives? How about the Mighty Armory TNT sizing die. A great deal more expensive but it seems to be available. Never used any of their dies. What are others’ experiences?

Thanks.

I got this straight from EGW....................

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285234-lee-9mm-u-die-new-user-setup/?do=findComment&comment=3177062

💡

Does anyone know of an alternate manufacturer for an undersized 9mm sizing die? EGW responded they don’t know when the Lee die will be back in stock. Can’t seem to find the Lee undersized sizing die in stock anywhere .

2 minutes ago, cbrussell said:

Does anyone know of an alternate manufacturer for an undersized 9mm sizing die? EGW responded they don’t know when the Lee die will be back in stock. Can’t seem to find the Lee undersized sizing die in stock anywhere .

Not being rude but , duh, nothing much is in stock now. Those two are the only game in town for all intents and purposes 

2 hours ago, cbrussell said:

This might offer an alternate...............

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/285234-lee-9mm-u-die-new-user-setup/?do=findComment&comment=3179600