Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 X5 Trigger work / kit reviews

Chutist

So I just bought my SECOND P320 X5 Legion.  I’m having a blast shooting the first one.

I bought the GreyGuns Competition Trigger Kit for it and did the installation.  I knew GG was one of the leaders and just pushed the ‘easy button’.

With the popularity of the X5, I’m seeing now that there are more options than I knew.  With just a little reading here, I’ve found “The Sig Armorer”, “Armory Craft” and of course Grey Guns.

I was wondering how many more options are out there?  

What is the collective experience with the other kits and work?

I’ll start - GreyGuns Competition Trigger Kit - Pros, Cons and Overall.

Pros - The kit seams well made and was GENERALLY easy to install, more on that in the Con’s.  You get a couple of sets of springs and the finish on the parts is good.  
It dropped the pull weight from about 3.5 pounds stock to about 2.6 pounds after installation.  I measured multiple pulls with a Lyman digital Trigger Pull gauge.  I’ve shot two matches with it since and it’s worked fine. Really limits over travel. Lighter, shorter, less build up (Stack-up) before the break.  Reminds me of “rolling" a light revolver trigger.  

Con’s.  - No instructions at all.  They do use the disclaimer of use a “qualified Armorer” to install these parts.  I’m a Glock LE Armorer and have 25 years of working on Glocks and 2011’s.  Even an Armorer needs instructions.  After watching all the videos I could find, the install was smooth except the trigger return spring.  There’s got to be a better way than the ones I found.  Maybe a tool?  One video said right out to expect to bend the spring.  Feel of the trigger is okay, it does stop the over-travel.  At first the over-travel was limited the point the gun would not fire.  I had to back out the adjustment screw a quarter turn.  Feel overall is quite different than the stock trigger. 

Overall - It’s staying in the gun for now, but I’m still looking. 😐 I wish they told you how to use all the “extra” springs to get different results.  I guess it’s up to me to experiment.   The first experiment is going to be building a tool to install the Trigger return/triggerbar spring.  Part of paying for the kit is expecting to get the “knowledge” needed to use it effectively, maybe that’s an unreasonable expectation on my part?  I know when I buy 1911 parts there are no instructions.  Glock kits always came with the info.

So who else have ya’all used and what do you think ? 👍

Really interested in reviews of The SIg Armorer.... :)

Edited by Chutist

I use the TSA trigger all this year, in 2019 I used the GG kit. I prefer the TSA trigger. it has a much shorter reset and a clean break. That said, they are both good triggers and the TSA trigger is only slightly better IMO. 

I have GG kit and had no complaints.  I decided to Sig Armorer on my back up gun 
and they did a fantastic job.   The pull was a little heavier but the break was the cleanest I have seen on a striker gun.   The reset was was also much better than any other combo I have tried.  Only con would be price and  you will need to keep the FCU mated to the slide (you can swap the grip module without issues).  I switched to the Sg Armorer as soon as I got it and am getting ready to send my other gun off to them.

On 9/27/2020 at 7:58 PM, B585 said:

I have GG kit and had no complaints.  I decided to Sig Armorer on my back up gun 
and they did a fantastic job.   The pull was a little heavier but the break was the cleanest I have seen on a striker gun.   The reset was was also much better than any other combo I have tried.  Only con would be price and  you will need to keep the FCU mated to the slide (you can swap the grip module without issues).  I switched to the Sg Armorer as soon as I got it and am getting ready to send my other gun off to them.

One of the things I noticed was the GG kit almost had more creap.  Way less overtravel and the total trigger stroke (is that a thing? LOL) was shorter.  

I bought a second X5 Legion and I think I'm going to take it to Sig Armorer and see if I like that outcome better?  In hindsight, I sort of wonder what the outcome would have been if I'd have sent mine into GreyGuns rather than doing the drop in?

On 9/27/2020 at 6:58 PM, B585 said:

‘you can move the Trigger work to other guns and slides. You just need to move the firing pin assembly with the fcu.

17 hours ago, Chutist said:

One of the things I noticed was the GG kit almost had more creap.  Way less overtravel and the total trigger stroke (is that a thing? LOL) was shorter.  

I bought a second X5 Legion and I think I'm going to take it to Sig Armorer and see if I like that outcome better?  In hindsight, I sort of wonder what the outcome would have been if I'd have sent mine into GreyGuns rather than doing the drop in?

I would just be speculating since I have no direct experience nor do I know anyone who has sent their gun off to GG.

The “trigger stroke” is definitely shorter with the Sig.  Arm. by a significant margin.  I have let others handle my gun who have an X5 and a variety of different trigger mods.  They can’t believe how good it came out.  I also should say the customer service has been excellent through Sig Arm.  I got my gun back quicker than he estimated and he has always answered my questions immediately (even after the work was completed).

On 9/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, Rich406 said:

‘you can move the Trigger work to other guns and slides. You just need to move the firing pin assembly with the fcu.

Makes sense, they must have mated the two surfaces as part of the process.  I bet the angles are how he gets the cleaner break. 

Break Break....

I think I'm going to pull the GG kit out of my CO Gun, set it back "Stock" and take it to TSA.  He's only about 40 miles from me so I makes sense just to go over so we can chat.  I'm going to shoot it this weekend and then I'll try to get there next week.  I'll report back after...

Part of me says just swap the FCU's but the old school voice in the back of my head says to keep all the same parts together... I'm conflicted. 🙃  

Edited by Chutist

3 hours ago, Chutist said:

Makes sense, they must have mated the two surfaces as part of the process.  I bet the angles are how he gets the cleaner break. 

Break Break....

I think I'm going to pull the GG kit out of my CO Gun, set it back "Stock" and take it to TSA.  He's only about 40 miles from me so I makes sense just to go over so we can chat.  I'm going to shoot it this weekend and then I'll try to get there next week.  I'll report back after...

Part of me says just swap the FCU's but the old school voice in the back of my head says to keep all the same parts together... I'm conflicted. 🙃  

I think you will be happy with your choice.

On 9/30/2020 at 10:39 PM, B585 said:

I think you will be happy with your choice.

Dropped it off in person today.  Had a nice chat with Robert about what was possible and I was looking for...

Should have it back next week!

Can't wait to get a range day with it! 😃

I have both the sig armorer trigger and a GG factory competition installed kit.

On my original X5 with sliver barrel, I have the GG installed tigger. After the drop recall, I had to send it back to GG for a redo. The trigger is around 3lbs and has shorter over all travel than stock, with a little over travel. The break is more of a roll than a glass rod. 

My other X5 is the second gen X5 with the black barrel and has the TSA installed trigger. There is minimal take up, breaks crisp and clean, has almost no over travel. The TSA trigger feels slightly lighter than the GG trigger. It’s the best striker trigger I’ve ever felt or used. 

My primary gun has the TSA trigger in it. I can shoot 1.9 bill drills with both guns. At match pace, I can’t tell the difference in score. My head tells me I like the TSA more. 

I picked my X5 back up from Robert at The Sig Armorer today!

First impressions - This is very different than the Grayguns Drop in... 

The GG is like my G35 with a trigger kit and polish... I agree with @Manwithnoname it's more of a "roll".  Reminds me of shooting a light sprung revolver.  It had some take up and creep. Very little over travel once it breaks.

TSA felt good right away...  It's set up as I requested - just a bit of take up, stop and break.  Very little over travel and a shorter trigger stroke than stock or GG's by a fair amount.  It is the shortest - read "most like a 2011" - I've ever found on a striker fired gun.  I think I'm going to like it!  I'll get a trigger gage on it tomorrow, I'd guess right at 3 pounds.  Lighter than stock and heavier that the GG.  FWIW - Robert can do a "Hybrid" and mix the GG parts with the work he does to get lighter pull weight.  I decided to go with just his work - straight up - on this one.  I'm going to drop the GG kit into my new back up gun and I may go "hybrid" on that one when I have it done.... I'm going to run this one for a bit and see how it goes.  😉

Can't wait to get it to the range! 😀

Edited by Chutist

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the GG comp kit, and added the AC trigger after about 500 rounds with the GG only.  Compared it to my buddy's Legion X5, and he feels my trigger is too soft for his liking.  The Gunsmith said my trigger was definitely smoother, but felt my buddies trigger with the AC only was crisper.  I had some customers compare the two via dry-fire, and most liked the GG & AC setup because it felt smoother, but also agreed the AC trigger alone was crisper.

Edited by bcane98

4 minutes ago, bcane98 said:

I installed the GG comp kit, and added the AC trigger after about 500 rounds.  Compared it to my buddy's Legion X5, and he feels my trigger is too soft for his liking.  The Gunsmith said my trigger was definitely smoother, but felt my buddies trigger with the AC only was crisper.  I had some customers compare the two via dry-fire, and most liked the GG & AC setup because it felt smoother, but also agreed the AC trigger alone was crisper.

You should be able to exceed the "AC trigger only" break quality by manipulating spring weights in your rig.

Edited by DirectDrive

7 minutes ago, DirectDrive said:

You should be able to exceed the "AC trigger only" break quality by manipulating spring weights in your rig.

I am using the 12lb spring shooting 124 Blazers currently, one of the other forum members has the same config, and says the 14lb shoots flatter.  Gonna have to check that change out.  I thought the stock config, 124gr, and 12lb spring shot pretty good for my liking... but I'm a tinkerer lol

10 hours ago, bcane98 said:

I am using the 12lb spring shooting 124 Blazers currently, one of the other forum members has the same config, and says the 14lb shoots flatter.  Gonna have to check that change out.  I thought the stock config, 124gr, and 12lb spring shot pretty good for my liking... but I'm a tinkerer lol

I believe DirectDrive is referring to trigger return spring and sear spring weights; not recoil spring weight.

48 minutes ago, ddc said:

I believe DirectDrive is referring to trigger return spring and sear spring weights; not recoil spring weight.

That's how I took it too.

I'm wondering if there's a source of just trigger return and sear springs?  It would be interesting to play with weights to effect "feel". 🙂

Edited by Chutist

2 hours ago, ddc said:

I did put the softer sear springs that came with the GG kit... now I’m kinda curious to see if anyone has any experiences with those spring combos.

Prior to installing the GG kit I fooled around with bending the trigger bar return spring.

I did this on a stock Sig spring that I had inadvertently bent while re-installing the trigger bar following a detail strip.

I was able to lower the trigger pull weight a decent amount but it was a while back and it looks like I didn't record any data.

I didn't trust it and replaced it with a new Sig spring until the GG kit was available again.

I've also heard of people using only one of the two sear springs.

I have not tried that myself.

Caveat emptor: I'm not claiming either of those is a good idea or would work over the long haul without problems.