Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon XL650 - what's it worth?

I've got an a like new XL650 with case feeder, Strong mount, bullet tray and roller handle.  As I remember it was 1100 or so from Dillon....Plus dies, tax, shipping......

I ended up just setting my 1050 up with a conversion and the 650 just sat.  

Going to list it in the DFW area to see if I can sell it locally.

What's the right price in this market?

IMG_5067.jpeg

Edited by Chutist
added picture

It would take unique buyer to give you 90% IMHO. I hear a lot about 80% and as long as that is the basic price for the press I think that's possible. If you try to add in a bunch of extra stuff it won't fly. That extra stuff doesn't normally apply to every buyer.

I have both bought and sold presses. Sold 3 550's and one 650 and bought a used 1050. If you really want to move it take 60% and run. If you are a buyer of a press offer 50% for a good one. You'll get it from most sellers. 

The disadvantage you have as an individual seller is that people question whether they can trust you and you don't take credit cards.Many many buyers don't have the cash available. Those who do seldom want a used item.I got a used 1050 for a good price but by the time I got it functional to my satisfaction I should have bought a new one and did just that.

To a degree, it depends on which caliber it is set up for and which dies will go with it.

I highly doubt you will get your $1,100 back.

In God, we trust.  All others must pay cash.”

Edited by Chills1994

In this climate maybe you can get 80-90%. Most places are backordered so there is a chance someone doesn't want to wait. I saw some presses locally last winter for 50% of new value that sold quick but haven't seen a used press in the last 6 months.

And since the 750 is out, a lot of people may just want the 'new thing's vs the 'old thing.'

Well guys I am going to be the “other guy” in this discussion....

In my opinion in the current market if this unit includes everything a person needs to load 9mm or .223/5.56 And seeing the condition this unit is in I am betting the OP can get 90% if not 95% and here are my reasons for saying this...

1 - There are folks that LOVE the 650 (me being one) that has loaded on a 650 for years and would love to have a second machine so that everything that works for one machine works for their second machine (I know some will say 650 and 750 parts will also swap out but the priming system is different).....

2 - Dillon is not selling the 650 anymore....If they were I would buy one and never open the box - just have it as a spare in case I wanted to set one up for small primers and the second one for large primers...

3 - It is a Dillon, which comes with a lifetime warranty....

4 - Some folks do not like the 750 priming system.....

Again I just wanted to share a slightly different view point...Keep in mind OP - you can always come down on your price but would not be able to go up....Just my 2 cents worth....Mark

4 hours ago, Sigarmsp226 said:

Well guys I am going to be the “other guy” in this discussion....

In my opinion in the current market if this unit includes everything a person needs to load 9mm or .223/5.56 And seeing the condition this unit is in I am betting the OP can get 90% if not 95% and here are my reasons for saying this...

1 - There are folks that LOVE the 650 (me being one) that has loaded on a 650 for years and would love to have a second machine so that everything that works for one machine works for their second machine (I know some will say 650 and 750 parts will also swap out but the priming system is different).....

2 - Dillon is not selling the 650 anymore....If they were I would buy one and never open the box - just have it as a spare in case I wanted to set one up for small primers and the second one for large primers...

3 - It is a Dillon, which comes with a lifetime warranty....

4 - Some folks do not like the 750 priming system.....

Again I just wanted to share a slightly different view point...Keep in mind OP - you can always come down on your price but would not be able to go up....Just my 2 cents worth....Mark

Which is why I bought my second 650 last year when I heard about the 750 coming out.

My local club/range has an account with Graf’s of Mexico, MO.  So I got it for wholesale plus a small gas surchage for the Graf’s truck dropping it off at the range.

It's a well made press with a huge loyal following. The reloading market is booming with new reloaders joining the fray daily. I'd price it at what you want maybe a touch higher and then see what attention you get. On any given day the right buyer might be there for you. You can always lower the price in time if it doesn't move. 

In this market you may be able to get 110% of the value, depending on caliber.  I have gotten some killer deals on used loaders, but prices these days are near 100% of retail  Put it on ebay- figure a good shipping  amount.  You can try to aim high and put it out on Craigs list, but then you get flagged a lot

I probably sold it too cheap.  I put it here at 90% and it was gone in a few minutes.

It's okay.  I sold it and got to meet another member of the forum @stockton 

Very cool and got to talk shooting for a bit!  I new in DFW and he gave me some of the local Gouge. 

I think he was happy and I am happy! :)

On 9/30/2020 at 3:18 PM, AZGunut said:

Around here guys are selling decently equipped XL650's for about 140-150% of retail.  With the backlog on 750's and people wanting it right now, its totally a sellers market!

Concur, I sold mine but I did toss in 2 extra heads, caliber conv, and a 223 die set and a few goodies like powder and 2K of primers

• 2 years later...