Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - How about adding .22lr (RFPI, RFPO)

Nic_USPSA_C

With the current ammo situation what are your thoughts on shooting USPSA type matches with .22lr?

I started doing this at our local Thursday night matches, I call it Thursday Night Action Match since USPSA does not allow for .22lr.  We follow USPSA rules and setup stages accordingly.  These matches have been popular and are a blast to shoot.

Would you shoot a match like this?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't. It's one thing to run a outlaw or side match with 22's. But it's something else for USPSA to make it a thing.

Over time the game will just turn into a rim fire game like SC has. We'll have to add more divisions too, making each division less competitive. IMO this would completely kill the sport. 

21 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Please don't. It's one thing to run a outlaw or side match with 22's. But it's something else for USPSA to make it a thing.

Over time the game will just turn into a rim fire game like SC has. We'll have to add more divisions too, making each division less competitive. IMO this would completely kill the sport. 

How about all of the current divisions?  Do you think some should go?

1 minute ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

No - you wouldn't shoot a USPSA type outlaw match with a .22lr?  Or no, USPSA should not add it as a division.

Uspsa. 

I've shot some outlaw steel matches with a 22.  There's a place for it--but that place isn't uspsa. 

I posed this question to Mike Foley in 2019.  His answer was simple.

He's not in favor of USPSA developing rules for a .22LR match.  IPSC already has a set of rules for this ... It's called Mini-Rifle.  He said if I wanted to do such matches to use the existing IPSC Rules.

See:  http://legacy.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesMini-Rifle.pdf

Why reinvent it?  It already exists and we have full authority (as a member region of IPSC) to use these rules.

40 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

What would be a good name for a match that is setup like USPSA but is shot with rimfire?

At the local level? Rimfire Action Match

National level? US Rimfire Shooting Association or something along those lines. 

31 minutes ago, teros135 said:

No. 

Why do a few people keep trying to change what already works?  Go shoot your outlaw matches and have fun.  😊

Want to shoot, but cannot get 9mm ammo and refuse to pay $28 for a box of 50 federal 115's.  We cannot be the only ones in this situation.

1 hour ago, Schutzenmeister said:

I posed this question to Mike Foley in 2019.  His answer was simple.

He's not in favor of USPSA developing rules for a .22LR match.  IPSC already has a set of rules for this ... It's called Mini-Rifle.  He said if I wanted to do such matches to use the existing IPSC Rules.

See:  http://legacy.ipsc.org/pdf/RulesMini-Rifle.pdf

Why reinvent it?  It already exists and we have full authority (as a member region of IPSC) to use these rules.

Thanks for the info, do they have one for pistol?

2 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Want to shoot, but cannot get 9mm ammo and refuse to pay $28 for a box of 50 federal 115's.  We cannot be the only ones in this situation.

3 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

I don't think USPSA should change because some people forgot to plan ahead and have ammo on hand.

Just go shoot steel or run outlaw matches until this all passes.

I have enough ammo to run for another year or so but I'm still going to look to set up my old plinking Buckmark to run some steel challenge just in case.

Just now, Nic_USPSA_C said:

But we shouldn't make permanent major changes to our sport based on the current ammo shortages. That isn't a good way to set policy.

Just now, Intheshaw1 said:

I don't think USPSA should change because some people forgot to plan ahead and have ammo on hand.

Just go shoot steel or run outlaw matches until this all passes.

I have enough ammo to run for another year or so but I'm still going to look to set up my old plinking Buckmark to run some steel challenge just in case.

Have you noticed a decline in participation in your area from competitors not having ammo>

One of my local matches will have a single stage just for fun after the main match. They switch it up on what guns you can use. Rifles, PCC'S, revolvers, carry guns, rimfire, shotgun. Just something to bring a little extra flavor.