Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - How about adding .22lr (RFPI, RFPO)

Nic_USPSA_C

6 minutes ago, GrumpyOne said:

All this Open and CO talk needs to be in their respective forums. Let's get back on topic, please.

Is there really anything more to be said? 22LR will never be a USPSA division because of speed / recoil disparity which is why the logical extension is talking about other speed / recoil disparity to support that. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

Also, you are misunderstanding what I’m saying. 

I can track and calculate the initial lift better and then snap the eyes and head over to a WIDE transition and then “catch” / match the angle of rate of fall as it enters the window on target. 

But on a close transition like side by side targets on a classifier? Absolutely can track and judge through the entire COF. 

Also thumb rests matter but physics matter too. 

A lot of the garbage slide stop thumb rests are worse at controlling recoil than a standard thumbs forward because they are set too far back (like the Eemann tech S2 one). 

But a proper thumbs forward thumb rest? No contest. It’s pure physics. Saying they “don’t matter” is ignorant. 

It's a preference thing. You like a thumb rest that's cool. I get it, you're a GM. That's cool too.  

I still think adding rimfire to USPSA would be a mistake. Maybe someday, if things get bad enough but it's not needed now.

2 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

It's a preference thing. You like a thumb rest that's cool. I get it, you're a GM. That's cool too.  

I still think adding rimfire to USPSA would be a mistake. Maybe someday, if things get bad enough but it's not needed now.

Agree on the rimfire. It’d have to come with a severe scoring penalty like 3 point alpha, 1 point charlie and 0 for delta. If that happened, I would be fine if needed to grow the sport for teeny juniors but probably safer for them to stay Steel Challenge without running with guns and stuff. 

Just now, -JCN- said:

Agree on the rimfire. It’d have to come with a severe scoring penalty like 3 point alpha, 1 point charlie and 0 for delta. If that happened, I would be fine if needed to grow the sport for teeny juniors but probably safer for them to stay Steel Challenge without running with guns and stuff. 

I think if it had to happen something like that would be my approach too. 

56 minutes ago, -JCN- said:

They'd only be competing against each other, why would you mess with their scoring?

2 minutes ago, Bagellord said:

They'd only be competing against each other, why would you mess with their scoring?

You could flip that on its head and say if they're competing against each other then who cares if they have a different scoring system?

The reality is that people's egos matter and even though they're not supposed to, people compete for HOA. If you don't want regular USPSA to become Steel Challenge, that's the reality of it.

• 1 month later...
On 10/7/2021 at 1:23 PM, Intheshaw1 said:

I just got a dot for my Buckmark so now I expect USPSA to allow it for carry optics, I'm even willing to add a light to the barrel.....

Gonna need to let us use magwells too, those skinny little mags can be a pain.

On 9/15/2021 at 5:24 PM, ima45dv8 said:

And maybe the new one will push to go back to sponsoring The Ladies...

Not the point of the the tread, but it's a shame this observation got overshadowed. I think it's really interesting and would like to hear more of your thoughts.

I would like to see more women at our matches. My wife has expressed an interest but our kid is too young to bring or leave at home right now.

Well, even though I mentioned this way earlier in the thread, I'll bring it up again.  One of the clubs I belong to held a rifle match last Sat.  It started out as only AR-15s in 5.56 or 300 Blackout.  No AKs or .308.  Then they decided to open it up to PCC and Rimfire rifle shooters.  Cardboard USPSA targets in six stages.  Longest shot was 75 yards.

Scoring:  absolutely no problem with 5.56.  Occasional problem with quiet PCCs; big problem with rimfire.  Fortunately I had my AMG Commander with me.  It picked everything up.  The other squads were not so lucky.  They were missing a lot of rimfire shots and had to be right on top of the shooter at the finish.  That didn't happen all the time, because some of the stages made that difficult.

BTW, after the match and before tear down the MD and RM decided they wanted to shoot a stage suppressed.  I set the AMG for max sensitivity and picked up every shot.

1 hour ago, zzt said:

They were missing a lot of rimfire shots and had to be right on top of the shooter at the finish.

This has been discussed in the past on another thread. Every shot needs to be picked up, if there is a malfunction and the last shot is not detected then it’s a reshoot, as there is no accurate time to record.

7 hours ago, BritinUSA said:

This has been discussed in the past on another thread. Every shot needs to be picked up, if there is a malfunction and the last shot is not detected then it’s a reshoot, as there is no accurate time to record.

That was my point entirely.  While it is important to pick up every shot, sometimes that is impossible with a rimfire rifle with no comp.  It IS important to capture the last shot.

This just adds to my previous posts.  NO RIMFIRE in USPSA.

15 hours ago, zzt said:

This just adds to my previous posts.  NO RIMFIRE in USPSA.

Ditto!  There are plenty of other Rimfire only competitions outside of USPSA.  Even here in Commiefornia, there are couple of clubs within a 2 hour drive (if you drive fast enough) that have Mini Rifle, Mini Action Pistol, Mini 2 Gun, etc... matches often enough to shoot .22lr matches almost every weekend, besides the usual Steel Challenge, Rimfire Challenge, PRS, etc...

Nolan

Edited by Nolan