Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - How about adding .22lr (RFPI, RFPO)

Nic_USPSA_C

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Matt1911 said:

Let me guess. You guys shoot open and are mad because PCC guys beat you. 

this actually only happens to b class senior open shooters, but those guys are usually mad about something....

Edited by motosapiens

3 hours ago, cheby said:

Are we going through this again? I was referring to the stage designs. It's obvious that the stages suitable for a pistol match are not ideal for a long gun and vice-versa. Just look at the last PCC Nationals.

One out of 11 stages at PCC nationals was closer targets than what I just shot a stage at Area 5 so this argument makes no sense. PCC Nationals wasn't any different from any other pistol match I've shot with exception of one stage.

On 9/17/2020 at 7:20 AM, Nic_USPSA_C said:

What do you think would be a good name for this type of match?

Limpwrist Outlaw Local - or LOL... 

On a serious note, any non-USPSA match can have rimfire divisions. USPSA wouldn't work with poppers and various activators, in addition to what others pointed out. Just keep rimfire out of it. Also, DVC motto wouldn't work with rimfire because, well, the power is not there.

11 hours ago, IVC said:

[...] DVC motto wouldn't work with rimfire because, well, the power is not there.

Just a reminder ... USPSA MG rules do not recognize PF and do not provide for use of a chronograph.  Also (though I haven't shot it in years) I don't believe Steel Challenge uses a chronograph either.  IPSC doesn't have power requirements for action air or mini rifle.

So ... Why let a motto get in the way of having fun?

Ok only limited knowledge of steel challenge, and 22 pistols, but I have never let limited knowledge stop me from posting before so why start now ?
So if I am correct,. steel challenge which does have a strong 22 division, doesnt require on the clock reloads ... or even draws for that matter.
I only have messed with a couple 22 pistols. I have a Ruger 22/45 I enjoy, and have shot a couple others that seem to have the same kinda magazines.  IE single stack and flimsy.  
Are there really that many 22 pistols and magazines on the market that could actually survive a couple practice sessions and matches when you include the speed slam reloads ?

On 9/19/2020 at 6:37 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

Just a reminder ... USPSA MG rules do not recognize PF and do not provide for use of a chronograph.  Also (though I haven't shot it in years) I don't believe Steel Challenge uses a chronograph either.  IPSC doesn't have power requirements for action air or mini rifle.

So ... Why let a motto get in the way of having fun?

USPSA MG rule book defines minimum power factors in appendix D.

Appendix D states PFs are for HF scored matches only.  Chapter 9 states R only or SG only matches may use HF scoring ... MG matches must be scored using Time Plus.  Hence, there are no PFs in a MG match.  If a R only or SG only match is scored using Time Plus then they have no PF requirements either.

Trust me on this one ... I literally wrote those rules.

RIPSC, Rimfire Indoor Practical.  I'm not the originator, but I like the name.  Been involved off n on since late 90s with indoor steel challenge.  Nelson Dymond joined us for a match, he started Rimfire SC at Lake Piru.  Great intro for new shooters, less stress, lower cost & just as much fun.  Good draw for indoor ranges if they have the room.  Plates are 1/4 size, convert yds to ft. (10' min distance).  After the SC match, we would combine steel with ipsc paper for a super stage.

Run the match with USPSA/SCSA rules and guidelines.  

On 9/19/2020 at 10:06 AM, Joe4d said:

Are there really that many 22 pistols and magazines on the market that could actually survive a couple practice sessions and matches when you include the speed slam reloads ?

Yes, and the best one is a conversion on a 1911 receiver with metal mags.  Rugers and Buckmarks survive for year with on the clock reloads, although you eventually have to tune them or replace them.  The heavy duty poly mags fir 1911 and the metal ones will run for years requiring nothing more than spring changes every two years.

58 minutes ago, zzt said:

Yes, and the best one is a conversion on a 1911 receiver with metal mags.  Rugers and Buckmarks survive for year with on the clock reloads, although you eventually have to tune them or replace them.  The heavy duty poly mags fir 1911 and the metal ones will run for years requiring nothing more than spring changes every two years.

As mentioned, I have a ruger 22/45, I find that a bit surprising. Dont doubt you as I havent tried it and evidently you have. They just seem a little flimsy.

Marvel Precision, Nelson Custom and CWA are all very good 1911 uppers.  CWA only works with single stack, will not work with a 2011 frame.. CWA can use GSG mags.  Nelson Custom has the best price for double stack frame mags, no feed probs.  

1 hour ago, 38super said:

CWA only works with single stack, will not work with a 2011 frame.

Not so.  They sell Al 2011 grips setup for single stack mags for 2011 shooters.  I think that rumor got started because the conversions often do not work with 9/40 extractors.  Removing the ejector solves that problem (with a dedicated gun).  It is no problem to have a little milled out of the slide if you want to dual purpose your lower.

CWA can also use a number of different mags if you modify the front of the feed lips to accommodate the long CWA feed ramp.

Edited by zzt

Good catch, I should clarify the Nelson wide mags won't work.  The follower gets stuck under the feed ramp.  Milling the feed ramp doesn't help.  Entry angle too severe.

edit: GSG mags with the Nic Taylor mag kit works very nice (not available in some blue states).

Edited by 38super

• 11 months later...

I think adding a rimfire .22 would be a great idea, its cheap, it would bring in more shooters and its also a ton of fun.  We love shooting steel rimfire and usually can practice 3-4 times a week shooting 200-300 rounds a session, zero way we could do that with 9mm at current pricing of components. 

Well, my home club just ran an outlaw 'action' match and allowed two cry babies who brought 22s to shoot.  What a joke.  They didn't have holsters so they shot from low ready.  Even so they lost to most of the centerfire shooters who did draw.

So I say no.  Also, with most timers you would have to crawl up their butt to get the timer to register.  Plus, it would slow down the match, because you have to get right on top of the target to score it.  Then we would need new overlays.  Bad idea all around.  I also think it might drive some centerfire shooters away.

One club now squads ALL PCC shooters in one squad.  A lot of the USPSA is for centerfire handguns only crowd objected to shooting with them.