Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA - How about adding .22lr (RFPI, RFPO)

Nic_USPSA_C

1 minute ago, Matt1911 said:

One of my local matches will have a single stage just for fun after the main match. They switch it up on what guns you can use. Rifles, PCC'S, revolvers, carry guns, rimfire, shotgun. Just something to bring a little extra flavor. 

That sounds like fun and a great idea, may have to work that into one of my upcoming matches.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The local outlaw match allowed .22s this month.  I had a lot of fun with my old Colt SM ACE except when it malfed on me.  It would even knock down the Poppers as set that day.  

A rimfire division in regulation USPSA might be too much for the run n gunners to bear.

I watched ISSF (was ISU) slide down that slope.  Frex there used to be Running Deer, shot at 100 meters with a manually operated centerfire rifle.  Most shooters just worked real hard on their bolt action, but the Army MTU gamed it with pumps.  My hero is Walter Winans shooting a Rigby double rifle... in .22 Savage Hi Power.  Then it was cut down to Running Boar shot at 50 meters with a .22.  I don't know if it retained the Doubles which called for brisk operation.  Now they have a sliding bullseye shot at 10 meters with an air rifle.

Maybe we ought to be working on stuff like that to keep some sort of shooting going on under the Gun Control Act of 2021 or 2025, depending on the next national election.  

One thing, really really reliable .22 guns and ammo are uncommon.  My ACE showed me that.  If they do it again I will take my Nelson or Kadet, which run better.  

(My S&W Plastic M&P Compact .22 would be a great IDPA BUG, though, it is very reliable with good ammo.)

Edited by Jim Watson

51 minutes ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Thanks for the info, do they have one for pistol?

Sorry Nic ... The "RFPI, RFPO" in your OP title should have clued me in.  (My bad!)

No, IPSC does not have a discipline for .22 HG.  They do have "Action Air" ... but let's NOT go there!

20-25 years ago I used to do EXACTLY what you're talking about at a club in Cheyenne, WY.  The outdoor range was closed in winter - too much snow much of the time to even get into it.  The indoor range wouldn't allow USPSA shooting with full power guns.  Hence, we ran several indoor matches using .22 LR.  It worked fine.  Folks had a lot of fun.

Two things:  1 - Go ahead and use USPSA rules, as far as they can be applied.  (Note:  ALL the safety rules CAN be applied!)  2 - DON'T call it a USPSA match ... Technically it's not.

Perhaps, and most importantly, HAVE FUN!

One other recommendation - Use a lot of the 1/2 size targets to keep it interesting, especially indoors!

For a friendly competition I started a  new 3 gun Match.

Steel and 12 gauge.  22 rifles and pistols to hit .22 fall down steel and 12 gauge on bowling pins.

It is surprisingly challenging to hit  2x3 inch steel with either pistol or rifle at speed.

And there is nothing more fun than letting go with an old short HK Benelli.

Locally all the outlaw matches have been fun with guys trying out new matches like Action Steel.

Edited by p7fl

2 hours ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Have you noticed a decline in participation in your area from competitors not having ammo>

I would say there is some decline but not a ton. The serious shooter has plenty of ammo and the newer or casual shooters are the ones that got caught.

I think most people that were shooting 10 years ago learned their lesson and now keep 1-2 years of ammo or components around but I'll admit that the last few years made a lot of people complacent. Before I reloaded I would buy 10k of ammo every winter when the manufacturers were running rebates and this past winter I got 9mm for 13 cents a round and realized it's the cheapest I could remember. But this ended on Black Friday and when manufacturers stopped offering rebates this past winter I picked up a 550 as I figured with the elections there would be another run on guns and ammo.

1 hour ago, Intheshaw1 said:

Have you noticed a decline in participation in your area from competitors not having ammo>

I don't know if it is Covid or ammo supply, but there have been several regulars missing from the Wednesday night shoot near here.

Last night the RO asked if we would prefer shorter stages or biweekly instead of weekly matches.  I don't know if there was a consensus, several of the shooters said they had plenty of ammo or components and did not need to conserve.

I would rather shoot ipsc air. Set up an indoor match almost anywhere. Use the same holsters and mag carriers we have now. If I wanted to do "non center fire uspsa" I'd rather it be ipsc air than 22lr. Someone;'s already done all the work of divisions, rules, targets and so on.

Edited by rowdyb

5 hours ago, Nic_USPSA_C said:

Want to shoot, but cannot get 9mm ammo and refuse to pay $28 for a box of 50 federal 115's.  We cannot be the only ones in this situation.

Sorry, not sorry.  You should have planned ahead.

It's not like this is the first time this has happened in recent memory.

5 hours ago, cheby said:

We already have one division that does not belong to a pistol match. We don't need another one.

I can only assume you mean PCC, in a sport called United States Practical Shooting Association. It's weird that I don't see anything specific to pistols in the title of that. 

22 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

I can only assume you mean PCC, in a sport called United States Practical Shooting Association. It's weird that I don't see anything specific to pistols in the title of that. 

Are we going through this again? I was referring to the stage designs. It's obvious that the stages suitable for a pistol match are not ideal for a long gun and vice-versa. Just look at the last PCC Nationals.

37 minutes ago, cheby said:

Are we going through this again? I was referring to the stage designs. It's obvious that the stages suitable for a pistol match are not ideal for a long gun and vice-versa. Just look at the last PCC Nationals.

Shooting uspsa with a PCC is good training for rifle CQB.