Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dreading Knee Replacement - your experience?

Turned 60 August 2nd and the right knee is just about gone. Severely tore my Meniscus in late 2016 and had surgery to "repair" it in 2017 - basically was left with no Meniscus. Was OK for awhile but has been getting increasingly less stable with increasing pain the last four months- can't run at all and sometimes even walking is no bueno. Not looking forward to surgery/recovery while this Kung Flu BS is still going on...

Edited by NorCal707

Mom has had both knees done, individually about 6 months apart.  She had a knee done day one, was home day two.  Two weeks or so of in home therapy followed by 4 to 6 weeks of visit to rehab therapy.  She has no issues now.

A friend of mine had a knee replacement when he was 70. He has no issues with the replaced knee and can do more now then before the knee replacement. He told me the key to full recovery was in the physical therapy. Do the exercises the therapist tell you to do and how often and you’ll be running around before you know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard just make sure you do physical therapy and everything they recommend. My wife's great uncle  had his done and there was a 25 yr old in his group therapy that decided not to participate and lost nearly all range of motion.

as above. my father has had both his done some months apart, and the first one he didnt go all in on his PT. not doing the PT made his first one very miserable, the 2nd he did what he was supposed to, and things went better, much faster.

My father in law had one done at 83 years old. He is thin and was very physically active. Before the surgery he could barely walk across the house. After surgery and 100% rehab compliance he is normal again and definitely better on his feet than a 88 year old should be.

• 2 months later...

I had a partial done on right knee 2 years ago. Stayed over 1 night went home next day. What was kind of neat was the surgery was performed by a robot called a Mako. If your not overweight, smoke, and don’t drink you should do fine. Do the physical therapy I don’t care how much it hurts. You want to get 95 to 100% full range of motion.  Once scar tissue forms, and you don’t have full range your screwed. You won’t get it back. It took a good year to be totally pain free. The pain was never as bad as before. Bone on bone is excruciating pain.