Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 407K, 507K dont buy

Joe4d

8 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

I don't think making it hard to find out what fits what is the same as a product being defective. 

That being said, I'm painfully aware that they use different mounts and do my research. I shouldn't have to call up customer support to know what I'm buying, and that is more or less the current state of the industry regarding MRDs. 

And yeah, many people failed at their job pretty hard across the industry. In general, I wouldn't mind if those folks were replaced with people who get it and provide a better customer experience. 

I would think that everyone would agree that having the same footprint for all optics would be awesome.  Keep in mind Optics mounted to slides is extremely new in regards to the history of firearms.  You also have so many companies involved, it would require a gargantuan effort for these companies to agree to anything.  They you have companies possibly placing a patent on their footprint.  Then you have Sig, that seems to have a new foot print for every optic they design.  There is a recent interview out there where a rep from Sig has indicated this was a mistake on their part.  At least someone sees there are issues, and hopefully fix this moving forward.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Boomstick303 said:

I would think that everyone would agree that having the same footprint for all optics would be awesome.  Keep in mind Optics mounted to slides is extremely new in regards to the history of firearms.  You also have so many companies involved, it would require a gargantuan effort for these companies to agree to anything.  They you have companies possibly placing a patent on their footprint.  Then you have Sig, that seems to have a new foot print for every optic they design.  There is a recent interview out there where a rep from Sig has indicated this was a mistake on their part.  At least someone sees there are issues, and hopefully fix this moving forward.

We can hope. given guns are different dimensions, I don't think we will ever have one size fits all, but all we need are a few people in the industry to get together, form a group that names things, and then just issue an non trademarked name to each mount size. They can't patent the hole spacing. Drilling holes a measured consistent distance from each other is way too basic. But they have trademarks and it makes referencing anything a pain in the butt. 

On 8/13/2020 at 10:28 AM, Boomstick303 said:

Regardless what any items is labeled or called, proper research is required to make sure it works for you.  When I don't properly vet a product to make sure it works for what I need, which I have done a couple of times, I don't blast the product or those who designed the product.  I accept accountability for my error and fix the issue.  I understand passing on what I have found to others so they do not make the same mistake I made, but I don't tell people to not buy something for an error I made.

Agree

This thread is a lame pass the buck attempt when the OP should have done his homework.

• 2 months later...

I'm new to a forum format so I may not do this right! When I find a 407K I'm going to have it put on a Ruger security 9. I have a friend who has a degree in gun smiting. He'll mill my slide to fir it to my slide and he'll only charge me $150.00 or less. The security 9 has a narrow slide, like the micros do, so I'm hoping it will work out fine. We'll see! Have a safe holiday .

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/1/2020 at 2:39 PM, Doug1948 said:

I'm new to a forum format so I may not do this right! When I find a 407K I'm going to have it put on a Ruger security 9. I have a friend who has a degree in gun smiting. He'll mill my slide to fir it to my slide and he'll only charge me $150.00 or less. The security 9 has a narrow slide, like the micros do, so I'm hoping it will work out fine. We'll see! Have a safe holiday .

Jagerwerks is only $125 for anyone off the street.  Top notch quality.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I agree with your premise that it would be nice if the industry standardized equipment. The key phrase being that would be nice. All red dot manufacturers tell you exactly what their foot print is for mounting their optic. If you don’t care to do the research it is not their fault if you purchase the incorrect optic for your required application. They should not be hammered on some forum about how people should not buy their equipment and people for that company should be fired because people can’t or don’t research on what they are buying.

They really don’t though.  As a result of not having standards surrounding mounts, or even shared naming convention, it is very unclear what fits what when browsing the Holosun website 

On 8/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, Boomstick303 said:

More not true?   So from what you are telling me is you bought an optic you had no idea what the footprint was or what slide cuts it would fit.  You did not know what the footprint was and you still purchased the optic?  If you needed an optic for a full size pistol, why didn't you order any of the other Holosun offerings that have been out for years, that you would not have had to wait months for?  Did you purchase the optic solely on the price point of $220?  Keep in mind it is not Holosun's responsibility on how stores and/or distributors describe Holosuns products those stores/distributors sell.  However, this is the description of the optic on various websites.  "The sub-compact pistol sized Holosun HS407K Red Dot".  It is bewildering why you were surprised "Their new dedicated pistol sight is kinda small".  Its small because its a Micro dot for Micro pistols The footprint for the Holosun 407K/507K informatin was available and known at Shot Show 2020.  This was January 21-24, 2020.   When did you order your optic?  The footprint is indicated by numerous videos that came out of Shot Show 2020.  To find the appropriate optic for a given application is required by the consumer not the manufacturer.  I purchased the 507K 2 months ago.  I knew that is was a direct fit for my P365.  Do you know why?  Because I properly researched the optic before I purchased it.  It's ok you made a mistake.  Its good you can ship it back and exchange it for an optic for your full size pistol.  What is not ok, is the headline of you post and your rant about how " Holosun seriously screwed the pooch on this one. Their new dedicated pistol sight is kinda small. Also it fits NOTHING ! Design folks should all be fired." when that statement is "More not true".  While I agree it might be difficult to find what the 407k/507k fit footprint is, with a little work its was pretty easy to figure it out.  Did you go to any forums to ask what the footprint was?  Did you look into any YouTube reviews?  Did you contact Holosun?  It would seem the answer to all of these questions is no.

You're right, you are entitled to your opinion as am I entitled to my opinion.  Its good this is a forum and not a review. Therefore, people can have a real understanding that Holosun makes good products and people who use their optics order the correct one for the appropriate application and seem to have zero issue with what they ordered.  Its also good so people do not repeat your mistake if they get past the headline and read into the forum.  

The link in the video below tell you exactly what the Holosun fits on directly from a Holosun rep.  It was released Jan 23, 2020.  Good luck with your new optic.  Hopefully you ordered the correct one.

Lord you’re a prickly pear aren’t you 

13 hours ago, Registeringissexy said:

They really don’t though.  As a result of not having standards surrounding mounts, or even shared naming convention, it is very unclear what fits what when browsing the Holosun website 

Weird. I didn’t have an issue figuring out which optic would fit the guns I own.  I also didn’t buy an incompatible optic and for the gun I own and blame the optic company. 

well I guess we cant all be perfect and go to shot show and down load blue prints first...
We just go to Midway to shop for an optic,,, see a NEW FROM HOLOSON link... an optic now specifically designed for a pistol with a solid dot.  I had previously dismissed Holosun over the  busy reticles.
No mention anywhere that despite the identical model number this was a completely different sight, that doesnt fit any of the common adapter plates.

In Fact the QA section specifically said it fit an RMR cut. All the other 407's and 507's did, why should I think otherwise ?

FAct all the other 407/507 the ending letter only signifies a change in reticle...

So yeh I do blame Holosun for poor choice of model numbers and sorry descriptions sent to vendors.

Also as this is NOT suitable for CO use and this is a mainly competition websight,,, the sight isnt suitable for CO even if the descriptions were decent.

This thread  served the purpose of letting people know  this is a different sight that wont fit any common adapter footprint. 

seems we still get an occasional comment.. So even the holier than though stuff gets the word out.

• 3 months later...

A quick 10 or 15 minute search would have told Joe4d what he needed to know. In fact it would have taken less time to figure it out than it did to post his comments on here proving he really didn't know what he was talking about. Sorry Joe no one needed this warning. Hope you got what you needed after figuring this all out though. 

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the 507k and it fits the Trijicon RMRcc dovetail mount perfectly. I have it mounted on my M&P Shield 9mm and it fits and functions flawlessly. If I decide to mill my slide specifically for this sight, all other top-brands will fit. ie-Jpoint,RMRcc,Optima 2000 and whatever sight shares the same footprint. 

• 6 months later...

I wrote Holosun and asked them directly if the Holosun 407k x2 would work with my S&W M&P Shield Plus 3.1".  A Daniel Sosa with Holosun wrote me back and said "yes".  I then purchased the optic.

When I read this post I immediately cancelled my order.  I am not going to void my warranty over an optic.  

I do see that there is now  an Holosun 407/507k to Shield rmsc adapter plate, but that would add another $63.00 to the optic cost.  As much as I would like to have the 407k, I'm not doing it on principle.  They could have got it right, but they didn't.  As another poster said, they screwed the pooch on this one.

I'm really aggravated about this. 

13 hours ago, 4eyedNshaky said:

I wrote Holosun and asked them directly if the Holosun 407k x2 would work with my S&W M&P Shield Plus 3.1".  A Daniel Sosa with Holosun wrote me back and said "yes".  I then purchased the optic.

When I read this post I immediately cancelled my order.  I am not going to void my warranty over an optic.  

I do see that there is now  an Holosun 407/507k to Shield rmsc adapter plate, but that would add another $63.00 to the optic cost.  As much as I would like to have the 407k, I'm not doing it on principle.  They could have got it right, but they didn't.  As another poster said, they screwed the pooch on this one.

I'm really aggravated about this. 

You need the 407/507C not K