Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holosun 407K, 507K dont buy

Joe4d

Save my friends some frustration. Holosun seriously screwed the pooch on this one. Their new dedicated pistol sight is kinda small. Also it fits NOTHING ! Design folks should all be fired. Doesnt fit any of the existing footprints, and they expect you to grind and drill on some of the smaller guns. 
Saw it was  a 6MOA solid dot instead of their other stuff, and kinda was surprised when I got it. Conversion charts led me to believe it would fit one of my plates, Nope. Looked into it and found it basically fits nothing on the market. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/12/2020 at 9:19 AM, Joe4d said:

Their new dedicated pistol sight is kinda small.

The Holosun 407K/507K was designed by the design folks specifically for the Micro pistol market.  Sig P365XL and the Hellcat primarily.  There is a reason it is small.  If you want a full size optic the 407/k507K was not the correct option.  Holosun has many other optics that fit standard sized pistols, and have been on the market for a number of years.  They designed the 407K/507K because there are a limited number of option in regards to red dots when it comes to micro pistols.  The existing ones tend to be plastic and not very  durable.  Holosun made the great optic for a specific application, or at least it would seem that way.  Only time will tell if its durable.

Edited by Boomstick303

30 minutes ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

I will also add the 407 has the RMR/SRO footprint. 

I have 3 of each and they all fit the milling/mounts I have. 

it is WHY I went the two (SRO/407) 

to be clear the 407C series fit the RMR footprint. The models use a modified shield RMSc/Romeo Zero footprint. 

Man I'm glad I did some research before ordering the K series.  Was about to pull the trigger on one thinking it would use the RMR footprint, doh.  Well with the Trijicon/Holosun lawsuit they may have to make their own foot print going forward.

4 hours ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

I will also add the 407 has the RMR/SRO footprint. 

I have 3 of each and they all fit the milling/mounts I have. 

it is WHY I went the two (SRO/407) 

not true,, 407 K is completely different..  they shoulda used a different model number instead of just a different letter.  Oh well live and learn why we have free UPS return shipping.

Yeh just wanted to give a heads up. The 6 MOA is cool but the K's are really small, and as mentioned have a unique footprint.

The K series are "mini" red dot optics, designed for mounting on pistols with narrower slides.

Several gun forums are chock full of discussions about the 407K and 507K, and in most cases, the feedback is positive.  

I have had a 407K for my Sig P365XL on backorder for a while.  No modifications required for that optic on that pistol.

38 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

not true,, 407 K is completely different..  they shoulda used a different model number instead of just a different letter.  Oh well live and learn why we have free UPS return shipping.

Yeh just wanted to give a heads up. The 6 MOA is cool but the K's are really small, and as mentioned have a unique footprint.

I agree using a different model series number would have been better to avoid confusion.  The 6 MOA dot is really a good choice for use on small pocket-size guns that will typically be used at short ranges and sometimes in a rush.  

The footprint isn't really unique, it's compatible with the Sig Romeo 0 and Shield RMSC.  It's too small to use the current common footprints like the RMR, Vortex/Fastfire, Deltapoint Pro, etc.

12 hours ago, 45 Raven said:

The K series are "mini" red dot optics, designed for mounting on pistols with narrower slides.

Several gun forums are chock full of discussions about the 407K and 507K, and in most cases, the feedback is positive.  

I have had a 407K for my Sig P365XL on backorder for a while.  No modifications required for that optic on that pistol.

Well Midway will have one on hand very soon, as mine goes back,  I could sell you mine for midway price plus shipping if you like.

Regardless what any items is labeled or called, proper research is required to make sure it works for you.  When I don't properly vet a product to make sure it works for what I need, which I have done a couple of times, I don't blast the product or those who designed the product.  I accept accountability for my error and fix the issue.  I understand passing on what I have found to others so they do not make the same mistake I made, but I don't tell people to not buy something for an error I made.

2 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

Regardless what any items is labeled or called, proper research is required to make sure it works for you.  When I don't properly vet a product to make sure it works for what I need, which I have done a couple of times, I don't blast the product or those who designed the product.  I accept accountability for my error and fix the issue.  I understand passing on what I have found to others so they do not make the same mistake I made, but I don't tell people to not buy something for an error I made.

This is true. That being said, the MRD market is about as consumer hostile an implementation of various "standards" that you can get. If it weren't for forums or some gunsmiths, you could do all the research you want with red dot makers and not know what fits what. IT should be fixed, because nothing say happy repeat customer with $900+ oh non-defective gear in their possession that doesn't actually work together because no company making any of it can be bothered producing to a standard, naming a standard, or doing anything other than pretending their sight and or gun possesses the one true mounting pattern while simultaneously producing gear with 2-4 distinct mounting patterns.

I mean a weaver rail and a picatinny rail are technically not the same, but even so at least even they were labeled by the industry in a semi-consistent way.

24 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

This is true. That being said, the MRD market is about as consumer hostile an implementation of various "standards" that you can get. If it weren't for forums or some gunsmiths, you could do all the research you want with red dot makers and not know what fits what. IT should be fixed, because nothing say happy repeat customer with $900+ oh non-defective gear in their possession that doesn't actually work together because no company making any of it can be bothered producing to a standard, naming a standard, or doing anything other than pretending their sight and or gun possesses the one true mounting pattern while simultaneously producing gear with 2-4 distinct mounting patterns.

I mean a weaver rail and a picatinny rail are technically not the same, but even so at least even they were labeled by the industry in a semi-consistent way.

I agree with your premise that it would be nice if the industry standardized equipment. The key phrase being that would be nice. All red dot manufacturers tell you exactly what their foot print is for mounting their optic. If you don’t care to do the research it is not their fault if you purchase the incorrect optic for your required application. They should not be hammered on some forum about how people should not buy their equipment and people for that company should be fired because people can’t or don’t research on what they are buying.

13 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Well Midway will have one on hand very soon, as mine goes back,  I could sell you mine for midway price plus shipping if you like.

You have a 407K (unused and unmounted) that you are preparing to return to Midway USA, correct?

I received my 407K from Midway about a week ago.  I've had my name on their "Notify Me" list for a couple of months and I was at my computer one recent evening when e-mails stating they had both the 407K and 507K in stock arrived.  I jumped on it IMMEDIATELY and placed an order for the 407K.  The order was accepted and the sight was delivered about a week later. 

It is really small but the dot is plenty bright and clear. 

The slide from my Sig P365 is now out to be machined for this sight and I'm eager to put the two together and get the combination to the range.

I give Midway credit for maintaining their published price and having free shipping despite the scarcity of these sights.  Several dealers charge inflated prices for the ones they can get.   

17 hours ago, Boomstick303 said:

I agree with your premise that it would be nice if the industry standardized equipment. The key phrase being that would be nice. All red dot manufacturers tell you exactly what their foot print is for mounting their optic. If you don’t care to do the research it is not their fault if you purchase the incorrect optic for your required application. They should not be hammered on some forum about how people should not buy their equipment and people for that company should be fired because people can’t or don’t research on what they are buying.

more not true. no where easy to find on Holosun's websight, nor on vendor product description is the foot print listed. Its like its a secret. In fact one MFG ( Bushnell) specifically said that when directly asked.. "Its a trade secret"  Took months of people asking if the Burris FFIV would fit the III foot print before getting a straight answer from Burris. It does by the way.... but if it didnt for some reason their design folks should be called out and/or canned in my opinion.. Just like these Holosun folks for making a 407 that doesnt fit the other 407 footprints.
Best I could find out this sight was a Jpoint going to EGW, it shoulda fit my #2 plate... nope.
So maybe if a few more people called them out, and stopped buying their products the suits would start asking designers and marketers whats going on, or get some new ones and stop alot of this nonsense,
Anyway,  The forumn has my opion, they have yours. Hopefully other folks will learn, or ask Holosun to be more informative.

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

more not true. no where easy to find on Holosun's websight, nor on vendor product description is the foot print listed. Its like its a secret. In fact one MFG ( Bushnell) specifically said that when directly asked.. "Its a trade secret"  Took months of people asking if the Burris FFIV would fit the III foot print before getting a straight answer from Burris. It does by the way.... but if it didnt for some reason their design folks should be called out and/or canned in my opinion.. Just like these Holosun folks for making a 407 that doesnt fit the other 407 footprints.
Best I could find out this sight was a Jpoint going to EGW, it shoulda fit my #2 plate... nope.
So maybe if a few more people called them out, and stopped buying their products the suits would start asking designers and marketers whats going on, or get some new ones and stop alot of this nonsense,
Anyway,  The forumn has my opion, they have yours. Hopefully other folks will learn, or ask Holosun to be more informative.

More not true?   So from what you are telling me is you bought an optic you had no idea what the footprint was or what slide cuts it would fit.  You did not know what the footprint was and you still purchased the optic?  If you needed an optic for a full size pistol, why didn't you order any of the other Holosun offerings that have been out for years, that you would not have had to wait months for?  Did you purchase the optic solely on the price point of $220?  Keep in mind it is not Holosun's responsibility on how stores and/or distributors describe Holosuns products those stores/distributors sell.  However, this is the description of the optic on various websites.  "The sub-compact pistol sized Holosun HS407K Red Dot".  It is bewildering why you were surprised "Their new dedicated pistol sight is kinda small".  Its small because its a Micro dot for Micro pistols The footprint for the Holosun 407K/507K informatin was available and known at Shot Show 2020.  This was January 21-24, 2020.   When did you order your optic?  The footprint is indicated by numerous videos that came out of Shot Show 2020.  To find the appropriate optic for a given application is required by the consumer not the manufacturer.  I purchased the 507K 2 months ago.  I knew that is was a direct fit for my P365.  Do you know why?  Because I properly researched the optic before I purchased it.  It's ok you made a mistake.  Its good you can ship it back and exchange it for an optic for your full size pistol.  What is not ok, is the headline of you post and your rant about how " Holosun seriously screwed the pooch on this one. Their new dedicated pistol sight is kinda small. Also it fits NOTHING ! Design folks should all be fired." when that statement is "More not true".  While I agree it might be difficult to find what the 407k/507k fit footprint is, with a little work its was pretty easy to figure it out.  Did you go to any forums to ask what the footprint was?  Did you look into any YouTube reviews?  Did you contact Holosun?  It would seem the answer to all of these questions is no.

You're right, you are entitled to your opinion as am I entitled to my opinion.  Its good this is a forum and not a review. Therefore, people can have a real understanding that Holosun makes good products and people who use their optics order the correct one for the appropriate application and seem to have zero issue with what they ordered.  Its also good so people do not repeat your mistake if they get past the headline and read into the forum.  

The link in the video below tell you exactly what the Holosun fits on directly from a Holosun rep.  It was released Jan 23, 2020.  Good luck with your new optic.  Hopefully you ordered the correct one.

Edited by Boomstick303

On 8/13/2020 at 5:35 PM, SteelCityShooter said:

I received my 407K from Midway about a week ago.  I've had my name on their "Notify Me" list for a couple of months and I was at my computer one recent evening when e-mails stating they had both the 407K and 507K in stock arrived.  I jumped on it IMMEDIATELY and placed an order for the 407K.  The order was accepted and the sight was delivered about a week later. 

It is really small but the dot is plenty bright and clear. 

The slide from my Sig P365 is now out to be machined for this sight and I'm eager to put the two together and get the combination to the range.

I give Midway credit for maintaining their published price and having free shipping despite the scarcity of these sights.  Several dealers charge inflated prices for the ones they can get.   

Let us know how your P365 slide turns out with the 407k.  I'm thinking about getting mine milled out as well.

On 8/15/2020 at 5:51 PM, tdiddi said:

Let us know how your P365 slide turns out with the 407k.  I'm thinking about getting mine milled out as well.

OK, the slide came back from Fabricated Arms today and the 407K mounted nicely.    Turn around was only one week and the machining is good.  

56 minutes ago, SteelCityShooter said:

OK, the slide came back from Fabricated Arms today and the 407K mounted nicely.    Turn around was only one week and the machining is good.  

Thanks for the update!  Will look into FA when I'm ready to mill out my slide.  Enjoy your new optic!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, Boomstick303 said:

I don't think making it hard to find out what fits what is the same as a product being defective. 

That being said, I'm painfully aware that they use different mounts and do my research. I shouldn't have to call up customer support to know what I'm buying, and that is more or less the current state of the industry regarding MRDs. 

And yeah, many people failed at their job pretty hard across the industry. In general, I wouldn't mind if those folks were replaced with people who get it and provide a better customer experience.