Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Going progressive for first time, Xl750 vs RL1100

Hey guys.  I’m a new poster but have been reading here some time.  I have worked through hundreds of threads but finally wanted to post to make sure I’m on the correct path.

i will start by saying I’m a very experienced single stage loader and have the gamut of equipment.

my shooting style has changed from bench rest and hunting to 3gun and pcc.  This said, I’m burning through silly amounts of 9mm and 556.  There’s easily 10,000 pieces of brass for each in my cabinet.  Given current prices, my range Ammo is no longer affordable to just buy, it’s time to start loading the formerly cheap stuff.

i have heard great things about dillons machines through the years.  I’m ready to purchase one and give it a go.

I’m trying to decide if the xl750 or the RL1100 is for me.  I’m aware of the added features given by spending more cash, just wondering, is it worth it?  I will be loading around 2 thousand rounds a month.

At first I was looking at the xl750 package that had both calibers included.  simple.  Done.  Thinking more into it, it makes more sense to piece the system together.  I have a scale, calipers, books, etc.

Thinking even more into it, the 1100 caught my eye.  But is it with it?  

i don’t plan on automating.  I do want an effective machine for my purposes.  I also don’t plan on switching calibers a lot.  It will be 9mm for a few months to stock pile.  Then 556 for a few months.

beyond this, past the loader and case feeder, what are sensible addons?  I was thinking the powder level sensor and a stack of extra primer tubes.  Am I missing anything?  Any “aftermarket” parts from other vendors?  I have browsed and seen a ton of cool gadgets for the Dillon line of toys.

also, I have a vast collection of dies.  My 9mm is rcbs and 556 is lee.  Will these work?  Or should I just bite the bullet and get the Dillon ones?  Or another brand possibly?  Everyone I talk to seems to have a different brand they are into.  I see Dillon is very backordered on 556 dies right now.

sorry for all the questions but trying to sort this out.  And opinions or knowledge is very appreciated.

thanks to everyone who takes the time to read this.

Both are great machines. If you put case feeder and all options on 750 you are only 500 or so off the 1100 price. The only thing is caliber converting takes a bit longer on 1100 and cost more. The swaging process on the 1100 is a huge bonus if you load 223. If you are only loading 2000 rounds a month you can easily do that on 750 in less than 3 hours. Both have advantages

I went 650 and load 3-4000 a month. It's an easy task. And love the machine, but wish I went 1050/1100 just because I want one.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Loading 2,000 rounds / month (70 rounds / day) doesn't require even the 750,

much less than an 1100.  Even a 550 is enough. 

But, there are advantages to the 750 / 1100, as mentioned above.  If you have

the $$$$, no disadvantage.

An alternative :  right now (don't know about the future) you can buy 9mm and .223

for some very nice, low prices.

Another alternative :  Get a SDB for $450 dedicated to the 9mm and a 550 or two

dedicated to the .223 (different dies in the two 550's).  No breaking them down

and switching calibers.  Even with a 1100, you'll be breaking down the 1100 into

two different sets of dies for the .223 alone, if you think it's worth your time to

process brass.

Just some random thoughts and alternatives for you to consider.

A last question for you :  Using a 750 or 1100 is more complex than running a

single stage press.  Are you mechanically inclined (I'm not - so I'm staying with

my SDB) ?

Loading only 70/rounds / day - you really can't go wrong with whatever choice

you make.   Good luck with it, and have fun.     :) 

I have a 1050 with Mark 7 and no experience with a 750, but you'll search hard before you find folks speaking ill of either press.  Any die with the standard thread pattern should work fine.  I don't use a powder check die although I used an inspection camera on my Hornady LnL;  the Dillon powder die is essentially fool proof if a)you keep the powder hopper from running dry and b)if you remember to re-attach the back-up rod after maintenance.  The repeatability with the powders I use is excellent (WSF, N320, Sport Pistol)

Stockwes - Welcome to the forum and to your earlier comment - so much to be learned from this forum as I continue to learn everyday.  There are several folks on this forum that can provide you firsthand feedback to your questions/concerns as there are several regular contributors here who have 650's and 1050's or 650's and 1100's.  I have both the 650 and the 1100 and have loaded on my XL650 for 6+ years having moved up from the 550.  I also have the RL1100 still sitting in the box as I am working to get my reloading room built to support all of my presses and components.  Here is what I can share with you based on where I am in this process.  

1> I LOVE LOVE LOVE my XL650 - it has the case feeder but no MBF on it.  I can knock out 1000 rds of 9mm in three - one hr sessions (I am 60 and do not get in a hurry when loading) and once you get your dies set up - it is a true pleasure to reload any caliber.  I also load 38 Spl, 40 S&W, 45 ACP, 223, and 300 B/O on my 650.  Changeovers are quick and easy once you do it a couple of times and the 750 will be almost identical to the 650 as it relates to the changeover processes. 

2> I bought the RL1100 because I wanted to add the MBF and have the Swage capability.  When I decided I was going to move forward on purchasing the needed parts to also run 223 (in addition to 9mm) on the RL1100 I quickly learned that this process was going to be expensive.  I am into the changeover for about $800.00 right now (which includes the MBF changeover kit also) so keep in mind that the 750 changeover costs are significantly less than it would be for the RL1100.  

3> I do not shoot enough to justify the RL1100 but remember this - Whatever you buy can be a lifetime investment in two ways.... Saves you cost on ammo and more importantly - Dillon reloaders go UP in value with they are cared for properly.  One will be hard pressed to find a 5+ year old Dillon machine selling for less than the original owner paid for it new.  On average (and I have tracked what I am about to type) the Dillon machines and accessories go up about 4% - 7% yearly.  I know because I have tracked Dillon machine prices using old copies of the Blue Press for about the last 5 years.

Whatever you decide to do if you go with a Dillon machine you cannot go wrong......If I were you, shooting the amount you shoot, I would go with a 750 machine, case feeder, maybe even a MBF, caliber conversion set up for the other caliber you need, and purchase a separate Dillon Swage unit for $120.00 to swage your brass - as needed.  This would put you into business with everything you need and overall might save you about $400 - $500 (guessing)to us to buy bullets, primers, and powder......

Good Luck on your decision.....Mark         

I have a pair of 650's on the bench.  One for small primer, 9mm most of the time, one for large primer, 45ACP most of the time.

I can load 600-700 rounds of 9mm per hour, that includes loading the primer tubes.

Things that are really nice to have on a 650/750, 

1. Roller handle.  I really like the Inline Fab handle

2.  Strong mount or Inline mount

3.  Bullet tray.  Don't laugh, it holds the bullets and gives me a place to rest my left hand.

4.  Powder quick disconnect.

My presses are set up like this to load pistol.

1.  Resize and deprime

2.  Powder drop and primer seating.  I use custom powder funnels as I find they make loading so much easier.

3.  RCBS Lock-Out die.

4.  Bullet seating

5.  Taper crimp

I really prefer Dillon dies.  That spring loaded decapping pin is a real time saver on 9mm.  The seating die allows you to switch the seating stem without changing the seating depth.

I don't bother with crimped 9mm brass.  Life is too short and brass is free, at least for me.

For 223/300 Blackout I process my brass off the press.  I have a Super Swage and it works just fine for me.  Loading these two is almost as fast, once the brass is processed, as loading pistol ammo.  I do use an RCBS X die for 223, that way I only have to trim it once.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:25 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

An alternative :  right now (don't know about the future) you can buy 9mm and .223

for some very nice, low prices.

Have you priced ammo recently, sir? Once the virus news hit and thoughts of supply-chain disruptions, I was going to stock up on my range ammo and was shocked at the price hikes already back in February. 

I checked again a couple of weeks ago, in hopes that all the stockpilers had theirs and perhaps prices started to drop again, but no dice...quite the contrary.

I refuse to pay an extra $100+ on a case of 9mm range ammo. That's why I got out my 'Reloading Research' and 'Dillon Presses' folders and finally making the plunge. :)

Stockwes, I was in the same situation as you....I chose Dillon because most everyone I know uses them and their service is also great from what I have been told. I almost went with the XL750 but as m700 said, the price difference was not a whole lot more in the end. If you do go the RL1100 way be prepared to wait well over what they list on the website. I'm at just about 8 weeks and was told yesterday from Dillon "reasonable guess is yours will ship sometime in the next couple of weeks"

When I ordered the site said 4 to 6 weeks and now says 6 to 8 weeks...The covid thing has messed that up some but it is what it is. The waiting is getting old and they really don't update on progress. 

Edited by Ghost7tactical

I load a fair amount of 9 mm and .38 Special and I have an XL650 with the case feeder and tool heads and caliber conversion kits for both.  I do load for .223/5.56 but in limited amounts and a single stage press is plenty for the volume I use. 

My only "problem" with the 650 that a 1050/1100 would solve is primer pocket crimps.  I use a lot of range pickup and once-fired 9 mm brass and there are just enough crimped primer pockets that I have to be careful while seating new primers.  The 1100 would avoid that issue.  

Thanks for the info guys.  I did It.

went to my dealer and placed an order for the rl1100 in 9mm to start.  Now for the waiting game on when it gets here.

once it arrives and I get it figured out, I will make the jump and get my 5.56 conversion parts.

a new question that came up, it’s in regards to trimming.  If I purchased the Dillon power trimmer and ran it on say my rcbs single stage press prior to running through the 1100, does this work?  Do I need to install an expanding die in the open position just before the bullet seats? Or will my sizing die take care of this?

also, I have a friend who shoots a lot of .300bo.  He was offering to purchase the stuff convert 556 to 300bo if he could have some play time on my machine.  What is needed?  I’m aware the case prep machine is best for this, however that’s a large investment for something that will not be used all that much.  Hard to justify 1500$ for something that will only see a few thousand rounds a year.

i have several single stage presses that could be transitioned into this use if that’s possible.

thabks again for all the information.  Finding this forum has been a lot of help!

im excited to get this beast up and running.  Hopefully it’s here by the end of summer when I will get back into the winter loading mode.

56 minutes ago, Stockwes said:

a new question that came up, it’s in regards to trimming.  If I purchased the Dillon power trimmer and ran it on say my rcbs single stage press prior to running through the 1100, does this work?  Do I need to install an expanding die in the open position just before the bullet seats? Or will my sizing die take care of this?

Yes you can trim on a single stage press (tear is a very well known shooter with a video that does this)the Dillon trimmer uses a small base die to hold the case.

so use a very good lube.  back off the sizing die in your load head a little it will expand the mouth and remove the primer. eventually you will wont a brass prep head.

there are more details but all you have to do is look around a little on hear.  I have actually went to using 3 tool heads. 1 is just a decap swedge head .it makes the press run smother 

a lengths come out more consistent. also use it to process 9mm and 40.