Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Single Stack Blaster

rubberneck

I had this gun built to ease the load on my training budget and for use in ESP. I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out and haven't had any issues with it thus far. For giggles I might have a 38 Super barrel fitted somewhere down the road.

caspian69dg.jpg

caspian14qs.jpg

caspian26mx.jpg

edited for poor grammer

Edited by rubberneck

Rubberneck, you said: "I could be happier with the way it turned out and haven't had any issues with it thus far." Did you mean that you couldn't be happier?

She looks NICE. 9mm is wonderful stuff to shoot on the cheap.

Rubberneck, you said:  "I could be happier with the way it turned out and haven't had any issues with it thus far."  Did you mean that you couldn't be happier?

You are correct. :o I should have proof read my original post. The gun has been 100% on the money from the get go and I couldn't be any happier. I have been running 147 grain JHP match ammo from Atlanta Arms through it and it feels like cheating. There is so little recoil in that set up that is almost comical.

What mags are you using? 

Great looking piece!

I am using the ramped metalform mags. Virgil tuned them and thus far they have been right on the money. Virgil also mentioned that he is about to expand his magazine line greatly. The new line will included dedicated 9MM mags of varying capacity and finishes. Same thing goes to 10MM, 40 S&W. I think he said they were 6 months out on the new mags.

Really sharp pistol. I bet it does shoot like a dream. This would be great for IDPA ESP and for the new USPSA SS division. The low cost of 9mm ammo and components would make practice very affordable as you indicated. What is the magazine capacity of a SS 9mm with flush fitting mags? Nice gun.

Really sharp pistol.  I bet it does shoot like a dream.  This would be great for IDPA ESP and for the new USPSA SS division.  The low cost of 9mm ammo and components would make practice very affordable as you indicated.  What is the magazine capacity of a SS 9mm with flush fitting mags?  Nice gun.

The metalform mags that I am using have a capacity of 9. I seem to remember seeing someone make a 10 rounder but can't remember who.

10MMdave that is a Heinie magwell. The nice thing about the mag well is that you have to mill the receiver down to fit it. That gun is as tall as your run of the mill 1911 without a magwell on it and isn't much wider. On the down side once it is fit you are stuck with it. I like the way it feels in my hand so it isn't an issue. I could see how it wouldn't feel right for some people.

• 11 months later...

Just one quick story:

Although I shoot CZ's in Production, I keep my 1911's (wide and narrow) all ready to rock.

Cliff note version: I bought a Single Stack Custom .40 Caspian about three years ago that was the Haunted gun, first match - 2nd shot, both ambi safeties fall out, same guy holds Honor and builds a new gun for me but it turns out that the smith in his shops that gets assigned my build has a drinking problem (I respect the disease and go easy on them) but cuts the frame openings incorrectly (now its an STI) so a year later at the next match, the safeties fall out again, then I pay a local gunsmith $1000 dollars to make this gun right, done with the first guys - the new smith almost gets there but the safeties (the pinned type) drop 1/16" whenever I rested my thumb on them, so annoying that I shelved the gun for 6 mos - on a whim I say to myself, let me run some of Virgil's Cobra Mags out of the gun when Single Stack gets approved as a provisional class in USPSA, but still that Safety issue getting in my head - spoke first with Sherri (a class act), then Virgil, who talks me into sending him the gun while he builds me 5 .40 cal 8 round mags - $150 dollars for the gunsmithing, the mags are unequalled and I finally, finally get this gun back and its perfect, runs any ammo, safeties are as smooth and solid as any 1911 I've ever owened - for those that pass on Virgil as a gunsmith to just buy his by far "Best in class Mags", you are missing the boat my friends, Virgil is still one of the countries top 5 gunsmith's - oh and the gun was back in 4weeks.

TY

Jkushner1

...... by far "Best in class Mags", you are missing the boat my friends, Virgil is still one of the countries top 5 gunsmith's - oh and the gun was back in 4weeks.

TY

Jkushner1

+ 1 to all of this! ;)

And.. Virgil and Sherri are Very nice people to go with all of the other good stuff. :)

So i take it he is still doing pistol work??? He worked on both of my Trojans and SV IMM...Great work...hardchromed all and did mucho work on the open gun.

Virgil's not accepting any new work at this time. I was fortunate enough to get a couple pistols in for some tuning before he closed.

He's still chroming and Coat Coating and is still making his line of pistol magazines. He's also got some other stuff in the works. One of which is a +5 base pad for M16 mags.