Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ CO "no front sight" plug/spacer?

ck1

4 hours ago, mveto said:

When I first set up my SP01 for carry optics I thought of grinding down a  front sight for a spacer but ended up just putting the roll-pin back in without a spacer. So far no issues with close to 5k rounds down range. 

UNSAFE,  for yourself and everyone else in the vicinity...eventually while shooting your gun will fly apart..get a spacer in there or at least as ck1 said a much sturdier pin

Edited by race1911

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

solid pins wouldn't really work, how would you get them to hold onto anything? if you oversize them you might end up cracking the slide (seen that before), or you'd need to stake them. 

1 hour ago, slavex said:

solid pins wouldn't really work, how would you get them to hold onto anything? if you oversize them you might end up cracking the slide (seen that before), or you'd need to stake them. 

if u cant make plug  best solution is milling front sight  and order new . in this case roll pin better than solid.  

7 hours ago, slavex said:

Yeah, that would suck. I was thinking an oversized pin... but no bueno.

On 5/11/2020 at 9:53 PM, race1911 said:

UNSAFE,  for yourself and everyone else in the vicinity...eventually while shooting your gun will fly apart..get a spacer in there or at least as ck1 said a much sturdier pin

Literally never had that happen in any of my CZs with well over 20,000 rounds with just the roll pin in.

The only time that ever happened was when I first installed the CGW bushing on one and forgot to put the pin in and it popped off after 150 rounds or so and I barely noticed as the gun continued to function without the bushing. 

• 2 years later...

After reading this thread and looking around and not finding a solution I decided to see if I could rig up one of my own. I didnt want to ruin a refectly good FO front sight so I check the parts pins and found a P09 stock white dot sight. dovetail cut is the same its just missing the channel for the roll pin.  a few minutes of Dremmel grinding for the channel, cutting and grinding it flat then some hand sanding to smooth out sharp edges and boom blank sight. Hit it with some black sharpie to make it showroom  quality and called it a day. 

It may no be beautiful but I feel a little better about it then just the roll pin. 

IMG_4441.heic IMG_4439.heic

Stone bridge gun works! They did my SRO optic cut and I’m not sure if they cut off the front sight, or if they keep the front sight and replace it with a plate.. But either way it ends up exactly like what you are wanting so if you don’t want the front sight surely they could do it for you! Vincent always replies instantlyyyy on his chat feature on the website and had a ton of knowledge on CZs.. https://imgur.com/a/k1piBnA

On 11/5/2022 at 3:11 AM, Bakerjd said:

At one time Fire4Effeft was making the blank spacer/sight. Not sure if you can order just that though. 

I messaged them on Instagram and never got a response. 

On 11/5/2022 at 6:37 AM, Tip3008 said:

Stone bridge gun works! They did my SRO optic cut and I’m not sure if they cut off the front sight, or if they keep the front sight and replace it with a plate.. But either way it ends up exactly like what you are wanting so if you don’t want the front sight surely they could do it for you! Vincent always replies instantlyyyy on his chat feature on the website and had a ton of knowledge on CZs.. https://imgur.com/a/k1piBnA

How to you like the cut from them? Seems like they mill it nice and deep. How long was the turn around?

I like a completely clean optic picture as well. I was on the same search your on over a year ago. Only blank I could find produced was by primary machine but they didn’t sell them one off. You could have the option added if you got a slide milled by them. I also decided to just grind down unused front sights myself and then paint with a flat black paint. The paint never seems to last so I’ve given up painting them now and just have the blank in silver color. To your point of keeping the bushing in place, i don’t know if it would ever send your bushing flying but imo I think you definitely want at least a blank and pin there as I think it is good idea to keep everything how designed and make everything as tight as possible not introducing extra play anywhere. 

On 11/16/2022 at 8:06 PM, mSNACKS said:

I like a completely clean optic picture as well. I was on the same search your on over a year ago. Only blank I could find produced was by primary machine but they didn’t sell them one off. You could have the option added if you got a slide milled by them. I also decided to just grind down unused front sights myself and then paint with a flat black paint. The paint never seems to last so I’ve given up painting them now and just have the blank in silver color. To your point of keeping the bushing in place, i don’t know if it would ever send your bushing flying but imo I think you definitely want at least a blank and pin there as I think it is good idea to keep everything how designed and make everything as tight as possible not introducing extra play anywhere. 

Even if it did somehow work the pushing out I really don’t think it would happen after one shot. I think it would work itself out slowly. If it eventually came out only the force of the slide returning back to battery would push it out. And that would be much. Definitely don’t see how anyone thinks it’s “unsafe” for anyone. If you’re in the business end of a pistol while it’s being shot a bushing is the last of your worries.

18 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Even if it did somehow work the pushing out I really don’t think it would happen after one shot. I think it would work itself out slowly. If it eventually came out only the force of the slide returning back to battery would push it out. And that would be much. Definitely don’t see how anyone thinks it’s “unsafe” for anyone. If you’re in the business end of a pistol while it’s being shot a bushing is the last of your worries.

I can personally attest that shooting an S2 without a front sight roll pin will eject the bushing quite quickly.  It happened for me after only a few mags.  In regard to the discussion regarding the spacer, I have been shooting an S2 for about 10-15K with only a roll pin and it has been totally fine.

19 hours ago, TheChef1 said:

Even if it did somehow work the pushing out I really don’t think it would happen after one shot. 

No probably not one shot but IMO the front sight combined with pin hold things in place much more solidly and I’m guessing make the gun more accurate. I cannot come up with a benefit of running just the pin so why do it

1 hour ago, WYgunner said:

I have been shooting an S2 for about 10-15K with only a roll pin and it has been totally fine.

Curious if Have you benchrested to test accuracy with and without the front sight? Also is there a benefit from running without any front sight or it was more of you didn’t want a sight in your picture and didn’t feel the need to replace w a blank

4 hours ago, WYgunner said:

I can personally attest that shooting an S2 without a front sight roll pin will eject the bushing quite quickly.  It happened for me after only a few mags.  In regard to the discussion regarding the spacer, I have been shooting an S2 for about 10-15K with only a roll pin and it has been totally fine.

Yeah what I was referring to was the comment that without the sight spacer is dangerous. I imagine with no roll pin or sight it would shoot out. But still no one should be on that side of the barrel anyways so I don’t see how it would be so dangerous.

3 hours ago, mSNACKS said:

No probably not one shot but IMO the front sight combined with pin hold things in place much more solidly and I’m guessing make the gun more accurate. I cannot come up with a benefit of running just the pin so why do it

It’s certainly going to be better overall with both of you if you can.  I would be curious how accuracy is affected if at all with just the pin. 

12 hours ago, mSNACKS said:

Curious if Have you benchrested to test accuracy with and without the front sight? Also is there a benefit from running without any front sight or it was more of you didn’t want a sight in your picture and didn’t feel the need to replace w a blank

I haven't tested accuracy because it didn't strike me as having a potential effect.  I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem like the front sight (fs) contributes much to bushing retention/support. The fs roll pin is captured on each end within the slide and the bottom half of the pin passes over the bushing to hold it in place.  The fs itself doesn't contact the bushing as far as I can tell.  The roll pin would have to fail and clear the bushing channel in order for the bushing to completely come out.  I would venture a guess that a more common issue occurs with people reusing the old roll pin and having it walk out the side of the slide.   I removed the fs on my gun because I didn't want it obstructing my view and I think the filler block is primarily for aesthetics.  I will definitely say that I think the 1911/2011 method of bushing retention is far superior to the S2.