Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ CO "no front sight" plug/spacer?

ck1

Weird one here... anyone know of anybody who makes a front sight "no front sight" plug/spacer for CZ's for when you remove the front sight (in order to get it out of the way of the optic)?

I've been searching the web, and seems most just take off the sight, reinstall the roll pin, and call it done, but I've read of a few guys mentioning the front sight and/or spacer helps keep tension on the roll pin so your bushing doesn't go flying one day (and that kind of makes sense to me). I managed to cut off an old front sight and make a decent looking plug/spacer on my 3rd try, but it's not perfect, and I'm all out of donors from past wrong height or bent/dinged old sights lol...

Thanks.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like you did the "best and easiest" solution to the problem.....cutting down the front sight to just the base, eliminating the fiber optic and posts that hold the fiber optic....could easily be cleaned up so it is not noticeable at all, also eliminating the process of removing the roll pin and re-inserting with some kind of spacer

2 minutes ago, race1911 said:

Sounds like you did the "best and easiest" solution to the problem.....cutting down the front sight to just the base, eliminating the fiber optic and posts that hold the fiber optic....could easily be cleaned up so it is not noticeable at all, also eliminating the process of removing the roll pin and re-inserting with some kind of spacer

Yeah, thanks, it should work, just wondering if there's something better out there. There's no way I would have attempted doing it with the sight still on the slide, I used a Dremel"s cutting wheel, I'm way too dangerous with a Dremel for that, I try to leave it in it's box and forget I own one hahaha!

1 hour ago, anonymouscuban said:

If I made one, would you buy it? How much would you pay?

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

IDK? $5-10? You could probably charge $20 if you can manage to fit a little Punisher, Spartan, or Boondock Saints logo on there 😉 lol!

Actually, mine came out better than I thought after having hit it with the ol' trusty bluing pen, but don't know really how it'll look on the gun because it's not here yet... I was thinking: Dawson Precision will make sights in custom heights, so I guess if I really wanted to go full douche I could call them and try to order a 0.000" height sight hahaha 🙂

Seriously though, not everyone has an extra front sight lying around to sacrifice, so maybe a few peeps would want one? Maybe make it out of tungsten or brass because 59oz🤪 ...

Edited by ck1
dad jokes

Sacrificing the front sight is no big deal as alot of guys will take theirs off and sell them with no intention of using the gun for anything but Carry Optics........it saves the trouble of taking it off and re-installing a new pin with some sort of spacer

3 hours ago, Hansb57 said:

I made one just like you, put it on and after 2 sessions put back my original sight because I used it as a reference to line up my red dot.

This is something I'm wondering about... The "no front sight" doctrine makes a lot of sense to me because I've never seen any Open guy running BUIS, and I kind of think the less distraction to look at the better. I shoot a bunch of PCC (that's really the most time I have behind a dot because my rifles have LPVO's) and I've never used or wanted any BUIS there.

Really the only experience I have  using a dot on a pistol is a Glock with an RMR I had for a little while, and that had all black suppressor-height sights... I didn't have any problems shooting that gun, and don't really remembering using the irons to find the dot, but they were there so...  I guess time will tell.

I guess I'll probably just put a black rod in the stock front first and see how that goes, and if it distracts me, take it off.

...once you take a little time dry-firing an optic gun for the first little bit until every time you bring it up the dot is there you will have no need for co-witness iron sights also....they are a subliminal distraction (whether you think they noticeable or not) and unnecessary....there are those that say "oh yes, but what if the optic fails, then you have backup sights", well possibly for those who carry and use daily, but for competition purposes just think about how many open div guns are out there and not one has a set of iron sights on it

1 hour ago, eerw said:

They probably can be made. Would be about same price as  front sight as it’s the same amount of energy to make one. 

Fair enough, makes sense. Do you think it's needed to keep the bushing from heading downrange, or is just the roll-pin good enough (you'd probably be the guy to ask)..?

Sounds like you don't have a lot of first hand experience with reflex sights on a pistol so let me save you time, money, and mental energy: leave the original front sight alone.  You will not be able to see it as it will be too short to show up through the red dot sight.

Even if it were to show up, your eyes will ignore it if you're focused on what you need to focus (the target) all my ARs have a fixed FSB and my brain just doesn't see it regardless of whether I'm using a reflex sight or an LPVO on 1X. 

I like it better without it on pistols that I use a red dot on only for competition.  Since I shoot a lot of irons as well, it is so physically ingrained to pick up and focus on that front sight that it's what I'll go to if it comes into the picture even with a red dot....or at least it will be a distraction, albeit momentary.  Like on my long guns/PCC's, I also prefer fold-down backup sights that don't come into play when shooting quickly with a red dot/scope.  I don't CCW a red dot handgun, so cowitnessing isn't a factor for me.  

Plus, I have to wear corrective lenses for distance when shooting a red dot, so my front sight is rather blurry anyway (no correctives when shooting irons), and that adds a level of distraction as well.  It's easy enough to remove a CZ front sight, grind/file it down and then put back in.  But I also wouldn't mind to just an insert.

Edited by MoRivera

58 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I like it better without it on pistols that I use a red dot on only for competition.  Since I shoot a lot of irons as well, it is so physically ingrained to pick up and focus on that front sight that it's what I'll go to if it comes into the picture even with a red dot....or at least it will be a distraction, albeit momentary.  Like on my long guns/PCC's, I also prefer fold-down backup sights that don't come into play when shooting quickly with a red dot/scope.  I don't CCW a red dot handgun, so cowitnessing isn't a factor for me.  

It's easy enough to remove a CZ front sight, grind/file it down and then put back in.  But I also wouldn't mind to just an insert.

Same. I don't think I'm even going to bother trying it with the front blade on there... can't undo a couple decades of "front sight ,front sight, front sight"... if it's there I'm going to look at it.

It's funny on my ARs I had no issue with the front sight being visible in the RDS, but I still removed them. But with my pistols, it was an absolute issue to have a front sight visible. So away it went. 

8 hours ago, slavex said:

+1. Nice. Mine came out almost as nice, but not quite..

.1284972146_image02.jpeg.88c6a0c6befc7cfb9c149fa916f7da5b.jpeg

FWIW, my transition or learning-phase to the dot has been going pretty well as compared to some of the stories I've heard... think that has something to do with me taking the front blade off right from the start: since there's no blade to distract/confuse me, I don't think about it and just find the dot. I won't be surprised at all if I come in dead last at my first match with it, but it hasn't felt nearly as awkward as I thought it would be...

Edited by ck1

3 hours ago, ck1 said:

+1. Nice. Mine came out almost as nice, but not quite..

.1284972146_image02.jpeg.88c6a0c6befc7cfb9c149fa916f7da5b.jpeg

FWIW, my transition or learning-phase to the dot has been going pretty well as compared to some of the stories I've heard... think that has something to do with me taking the front blade off right from the start: since there's no blade to distract/confuse me, I don't think about it and just find the dot. I won't be surprised at all if I come in dead last at my first match with it, but it hasn't felt nearly as awkward as I thought it would be...

Looks good to me 👍

3 hours ago, mveto said:

When I first set up my SP01 for carry optics I thought of grinding down a  front sight for a spacer but ended up just putting the roll-pin back in without a spacer. So far no issues with close to 5k rounds down range. 

I've heard both sides of that, that it will fall out without the sight or it stays in place fine.  I'd be just fine with only the pin if it'll work.

4 hours ago, mveto said:

When I first set up my SP01 for carry optics I thought of grinding down a  front sight for a spacer but ended up just putting the roll-pin back in without a spacer. So far no issues with close to 5k rounds down range. 

59 minutes ago, MoRivera said:

I've heard both sides of that, that it will fall out without the sight or it stays in place fine.  I'd be just fine with only the pin if it'll work.

If it’s not going to cause an issue, just a pin would be fine... but seems like it’s asking an awful lot of a $0.02 sheet metal roll-pin to keep the front end of the gun together without any added tension, those pins are pretty thin/weak.

If I hadn’t ground down a front sight to make a spacer to put tension on the roll-pin, my “plan B” was to find/make a solid pin out of an old gun pin or cut-down drill bit...  just something more solid than a cheap soft roll-pin.

Edited by ck1