Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

school me on hiperfire triggers for PCC

dragged out the beat-up parts gun i'd put together a million years ago with a hahn block and a regular blowback 9mm upper. remembered just how much fun this thing could be doing carbine drills at 50 yds and under - way cheaper than 5.56, can shoot on plentiful mild steel targets and can put steel close(r) up without having to worry about centerfire rifle frag. it was sunny days with cottonball clouds and an an impossibly blue sky...

then i immediately got home and started making a list of the crap i needed to upgrade on my blaster. 

near top of the list was a better trigger (after junking the 3 pound YHM quad rail that extends 4" past the 5" barrel for the cool 80's SD look with a suppressor). current setup is standard GI parts kit that feels like 6 miles of bad road. I've read a lot of positive feedback on the forum for the hiperfire 24c (which doesn't appear to be called the 24c anymore on hiperfire's website but is i guess called the hipertouch competition?)

maybe just redundant question but i did a legit search before giving up and calling the oracle...

1) LENGTHY INTRO: 

i've read a lot how 9mm blowback carbines are tough on triggers and in particular trigger pins. some triggers (like the timney ar gold pcc and the mccormick ar pcc triggers) are marketed as built specifically for 9mm blowback carbines. The Hiperfire doesn't appear to make this distinction and the Hipertouch competition appears to be marketed as a general purpose single-stage that can be used on 5.56 DI or 9mm blowback guns. 

QUESTION:

has anyone seen the hipertouch fail under 9mm blowback beatings or does it in fact hold up as well as other triggers marketed specifically for 9mm blowback guns? Is there any truth to the conventional wisdom that 9mm PCC guns need a "different" trigger? I've probably only got 1-2K rounds through this gun but it's held up fine with a generic GI parts kit fire control group (i.e. held up fine meaning it continues to work but the trigger pull is horrendous). 

thanks for reading :)

I have Hiperfire 24C's in all three of my PCC's.  I've never had a problem with them.  I did break a spring, but that was in my 3gun rifle.  The only issue I've ever had with the trigger was it not resetting...and that was because I was setting up my short stroke kit from Taccom.  

I have Hiperfire 24C's in all my PCC's.. they have ran 100% since installation..  never broke a firing pin to date with over 10,000 rounds using Hiperfires ..  .....

one point you made about shooting steel i kinda disagree with... --------  "steel close(r) up without having to worry about centerfire rifle frag." ...  i have been hit with frag many times shooting steel from PCC ammo... .. its not the most fun part of my day of shooting.. 😬

54 minutes ago, kahless5876 said:
2 hours ago, Matt1911 said:
I just got the new Hiperfire PDI. So far, it's a winner. 

How does it compare to a 24C?

There's a noticable take up on the PDI in dry fire, but the reset is strong and the rubber bumper gives me more confidence in the longevity in a PCC.

Live fire, I don't even notice the take up and the reset seems like it's almost automatic. Just release a little bit of finger pressure and the trigger does the rest. 

Another vote for the Hiperfire hipertouch-series triggers being good to go in a PCC. I've had the same 243G/Reflex model in a 5.56 for a few thousand rounds, then to an blowback AR9 for like 5k, then finally into my MPX for like 12k (if it was going to die, the MPX should've killed it by now). It's probably not a bad idea to check on the trigger's disconnector spring every now and again when running one, because that's kind of a known issue that they can get beat up, but checked mine recently and it's just fine (a few extra springs to have kicking around will only cost you a couple bucks). The 24C/Competition seems to be the go-to around here, but if not having the trigger-shoe thingy isn't a big deal to you, the 243G/Reflex is the same exact thing just with a normal trigger shape* (and can be had for much cheaper usually, I got another one recently from Big Daddy Unlimited for $160). *actually forgot I read somewhere you can put the trigger-shoe on the Reflex too if you want.

Edited by ck1
*trigger--shoe
2 hours ago, ck1 said:

Another vote for the Hiperfire hipertouch-series triggers being good to go in a PCC. I've had the same 243G/Reflex model in a 5.56 for a few thousand rounds, then to an blowback AR9 for like 5k, then finally into my MPX for like 12k (if it was going to die, the MPX should've killed it by now). It's probably not a bad idea to check on the trigger's disconnector spring every now and again when running one, because that's kind of a known issue that they can get beat up, but checked mine recently and it's just fine (a few extra springs to have kicking around will only cost you a couple bucks). The 24C/Competition seems to be the go-to around here, but if not having the trigger-shoe thingy isn't a big deal to you, the 243G/Reflex is the same exact thing just with a normal trigger shape* (and can be had for much cheaper usually, I got another one recently from Big Daddy Unlimited for $160). *actually forgot I read somewhere you can put the trigger-shoe on the Reflex too if you want.

Good to hear. I’ve been going through endless problems with triggers. My Timney DH-3 has been acting up a lot lately. It’s very annoying.  I guess I’ll have to buy yet another trigger again. 

Agree with ck1...check the disconnector spring every so often. I’ve had two 24Cs fail due to the disconnector spring breaking or being crushed. Naturally this had to happen mid-match both times. That said, I’m still running the triggers after refreshing the springs.

24G for me.  Like the traditional trigger shape, and it's fast.  Use heavier s[prings/lighter pull in main 'gaming' PCC, lighter springs/heavier pull for another lower that I split between a short 5.56 and short PDW .9mm upper.

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

You can run it as is. 

Rule 5.1.5 of the 2020 USPSA Competition rules unequivocally states: Triggers and/or trigger shoes that extend beyond the width of the trigger guard are expressly prohibited. 

This rule applies to all divisions. 

The Hiperfire trigger shoes are wider than the trigger guards of PCCs.

Edited by George16
5 hours ago, George16 said:

Rule 5.1.5 of the 2020 USPSA Competition rules unequivocally states: Triggers and/or trigger shoes that extend beyond the width of the trigger guard are expressly prohibited. 

This rule applies to all divisions. 

The Hiperfire trigger shoes are wider than the trigger guards of PCCs.

Guess I got lucky with mine. Sorry bro. 

Just got my new Leadstar Barrage PCC with the Hypertouch trigger. It does not have a shoe, but I can say the trigger works perfectly. Just getting started learning the ins and outs of the rifle, but it is very accurate and that is helped by the smooth function of the trigger system.

24c works great in my pcc. I had a minor issue with hammer follow after several thousand rounds and Hyperfire sent me parts to remedy the issue at no charge. I had an early trigger and they made a couple minor tweaks, gotta love when a company stands behind their product!

Regarding the shoe being too wide to make the rules, just take it off. I liked the triggers I have with the shoe on, but love them now without the shoe. For me, they now have a much better feel.