Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

DQ Double Jeopardy

mont1120

24 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

Haven't needed to design stages for USPSA, when I was still dabbling in IDPA I have occasionally designed stages with the tricky elements included and out in the open for local matches, seemed to help. Doing it deliberately and being open about it (I've been known to name a stage things like "don't break the 180") also seemed to help with the 'blah blah blah, poor stage design' comments that you sometimes hear after a person has let themself down. 

I think watching experienced shooters do it right might have been more helpful than just the practice aspect. 

We have a pretty good IDPA club in the area. I think they do a better job of prepairing shooters for majors. Probably because a big chunk of their core set up crew shoot a lot of majors. Some of the USPSA matches here are just simple 5 stage matches where you can leave the sight at home. Others are pretty good, vary club dependent. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

Staff day is brutal.

I wrote the same thing a while back. One of the other folks on the forum pointed out to me that my bad performances on staff day might be something that I could overcome by changing my behavior, focus more & that sort of stuff. I think it was good advice.

Although, there are still days when nothing seems right for the first squad through, and it seems brutal. 

12 hours ago, Racinready300ex said:

The trick is to find a job that allows you to work the match and shoot on competitor days. 

Staff day is brutal. I've shot a few matches where the MD had a side match with awards for staff, not really official but it was nice. It ended up being a team thing based on how you and the guys you were working with did on a pre determined stage in the match. It was a good idea

well seemed my region and area was always hurting for RO's and CRO's. Not complaining, I did it for love of the game and to support the match. But I figured I would pick 1 or the other, shoot or work. 

14 hours ago, IHAVEGAS said:

I wrote the same thing a while back. One of the other folks on the forum pointed out to me that my bad performances on staff day might be something that I could overcome by changing my behavior, focus more & that sort of stuff. I think it was good advice.

Although, there are still days when nothing seems right for the first squad through, and it seems brutal. 

In theory you could, especially if you're just a competitor.

But, my typical match as a competitor means getting to the match the day before walking stages, watching timing on movers etc. Not over doing it, drinking plenty of water getting good sleep and getting to the range early the next day for the match.

Staff day for me has been get there the day before work all day, leave late don't walk stages. Go to bed wiped out, get to the range as soon as the gate opens try to walk all the stages as quick as I can. The  day ends up being 10-12 hours and it's August so it's HOT. Typically the squads have been smaller, with part of your squad RO'ing and scoring means more pasting and resetting for everyone. It's a long day. And if you're RO'ing it's even harder to get in a grove. It certainly takes a lot more preparation, and I think you can still do well. But, it's considerably harder to pull off your best performance when shooting as staff.

On 4/30/2020 at 8:39 AM, Schutzenmeister said:

Based on experience as RM at several L3s, 2 L4s, and having worked 3 World Shoots, DQs tend to be more numerous at the beginning of the match.  Forgive the bluntness, but the chronically unsafe (and the occasionally stupid) shooters tend to earn their DQs early on ... typically in the 1st half of a match.  Call it Darwinism, if you like.

Agree with what you say there, I've also noticed a settling down of Dq's for a day or so in large matches (3-4 day length) then a spike on the last day as folks try and finish strong but some tend to be mentally tired and fall in to error.

A couple of us travelled to the US for some matches a couple of years ago, including Berry's Steel and MultiGun Nats at ProGun Club at Vegas. Immense fun 🙂 

Not only were we hyper aware of DQ potentials having dropped some serious coin (and suffered a 15 hour flight to get there) but when shooters in our squad were DQ'd, we were surprised that they were surprised. 

Seems some people try to shoot ahead of their ability.

When I was a new RO I DQ'd a new shooter before he fired his first shot at his first match. Due to pressure from the peanut gallery (I know :( ) , he was allowed to continue, and later did something much, much worse. 

I never did that again. 

3 hours ago, waktasz said:

When I was a new RO I DQ'd a new shooter before he fired his first shot at his first match. Due to pressure from the peanut gallery (I know :( ) , he was allowed to continue, and later did something much, much worse. 

I never did that again. 

Those kinds of lessons stick with you forever don’t they? Did for me.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 4:54 PM, Nolan said:

If you think it hurts to DQ on the first stage, wait until you DQ 2 targets from the end of the match, after having some of the best performances of your life!!!!

Nolan

How about the during the walk through of the first stage on the first day of a national championship where you step off of the starting position and absent mindedly draw your pistol and take aim at the first target:  Freeze in place because you realize what you have just done, DQ yourself, and your trip is over.

9 hours ago, Ocrrhbow said:

How about the during the walk through of the first stage on the first day of a national championship where you step off of the starting position and absent mindedly draw your pistol and take aim at the first target:  Freeze in place because you realize what you have just done, DQ yourself, and your trip is over.

I saw a similar situation at Nationals.  Shooter and the RO were standing next to each other.  The shooter loaded and made ready because that is what he thought that was what was said.  The RO then gives LMR command. Realized the action was already completed.  First shooter on the first day of Nationals.

The RO realized his and the shooters mistake and  said, well you were under my control and let it slide.